Hip pressure cooking is about harnessing the flavor from natural ingredients with pressure – no processed foods, just whole ingredients!
Enough with pressure cooker books and websites teaching you how to make the same ‘ol brown runny stews, beans and soups or telling you to “cook” by adding a can of this and packet of that!
Get ready for a new kind of cooking: hip pressure cooking. Which brings new ingredients, recipes and techniques to the pressure cooker to make your everyday cooking faster, healthier and easier.. all with less energy!
We’re dedicated to using whole foods, fresh ingredients and unadulterated recipes. The recipes are either conceived for, or adapted to, the pressure cooker through trial and error. We will not publish a recipe unless it has been tested several times to get consistent results in all pressure cooker types. We photograph what really comes out of the pressure cooker – no tricks. What you see is what you will get.
Hip pressure cooking readers are from all over the world, though the majority of them (+80%) are American so ingredients and directions are written with the American cook in mind (for example tomato puree instead of passata, or peppers instead of capsicums) – if you ever have any doubt about a recipe, just ask in the comments section below that recipe. The website was launched in the summer of 2010.
She has written two books on pressure cookery: The Everything Healthy Pressure Cooker, Hip Pressure Cooking: Fast, Fresh & Flavorful and is working on her third tome in addition to writing for several top-notch culinary websites.
She is an industry-recognized expert in pressure cookery having been invited to visit pressure cooker manufacturers in Germany, Switzerland and New Jersey (U.S. headquarters for a Spanish manufacturer) and providing them insights for their new models and sharing custom recipes and content to use on their websites and recipe booklets to entice cooks to use their pressure cooker more. Also, her articles have been cited in scientific literature.
Laura does more than just write or convert recipes to the pressure cooker and test them, her books and articles explore the mechanics of pressure cooking, how ingredients react under pressure and the nutritional benefits of pressure cooking. She enjoys sharing what she has learned in nearly 15 years of pressure cooking research and experimentation to enable cooks to improvise their own recipes or follow one of her no-fail recipes – which are guaranteed to succeed in both stovetop and electric pressure cookers.
She has appeared in several infomercials and pressure cooker demonstration videos. But, mostly, she really enjoys giving classes and live product demonstrations where cooks can taste the benefits of pressure cookers.
Currently, Laura lives in Italy near Rome, and travels frequently to the United States and Europe to share her passion for kitchen technology.
- Cited in the research paper, “Energy efficiency from staple food ingredients to body metabolism: the case of carbohydrates“, Journal of Cleaner Production
- Published a series of electric pressure cooker recipes for The Kitchn
- Interviewed by Road School Moms for their Instant Pot Thanksgiving special live Podcast.
- Featured as Author of the Day on Cookstr in January 2015, with six recipes from the hip cookbook!
- Filmed commercial for electric pressure cooker manufacturer.
- Was invited to do electric pressure cooker demonstration on QVC UK.
- Co-sponsor and organizer a pressure cooker demo tour in New York for August 2014.
- Wrote and photographed pressure cooker cookbook, Hip Pressure Cooking: Fast, Fresh & Flavorful, with St. Martins Griffin /Macmillan (September 2, 2014) which will reveal how ingredients react under pressure with original easy-to-follow recipes with a minimum of prep. The book is filled with tips, techniques and detailed information that has never been shared before- a must-have reference for pressure cookery.
- Starred in several instructional and recipe videos produced by Instant Pot to introduce their new electric pressure cooker model.
- Organized and co-sponsored with three pressure cooker manufactures an 11 event, seven city, pressure cooker 2013 demo tour in America’s West Coast.
- Interviewed for Pressure Cooker Feature Article by the Sacramento Bee Newspaper.
- Filmed TV project with Kingstar Production– that will air internationally starting 2013.
- Interviewed about pressure cooking on Martha Stewart Living Radio.
- Developed recipes and wrote an article on pressure cooking for Latina Magazine December 2012/January 2013 issue.
- Published a cookbook project with Adams Media, The Everything Healthy Pressure Cooker (October 2012). Laura healthyfied many of the publisher’s recipes (removing cans, flavor packets, bullion cubes and processed foods) and adapted the recipes to work with both stove top and electric pressure cookers. Also included are some favorite pressure cooker recipes from the website.
- Completed 2012 USA pressure cooker demonstration tour at various Williams-Sonoma locations and private cooking schools.
- Provided recipes and photographs to manufacturer that translated into French and German and published in their newsletter and website.
- Held pressure cooker demonstrations and technique introductions to pressure cooker manufacturer in Germany, Luxembourg, and the headquarters of allrecipes.com Seattle (USA)
- Presented about pressure cookers and possible recipes and cooking techniques at the cooking school of La Cucina Italiana magazine headquarters in Milano, Italy.
- Provided recipes for pressure cooker manufacturer recipe book
- Provided recipes and photographs to be used in Italian point-of-sale brochure
- Featured and Interviewed as Celebrity Chef on manufacturer website
- Scroll further down to see links to guest posts and mentions on top foodie websites!
pressure cooking network
Laura could not present you with delicious, solid recipes without the support, testing and inspiration from her mother-in-law, Margherita (who has 5 pressure cookers and lives in Southern Italy), sister-in-law Katia (who just received her first modern pressure cooker and lives in Nashville, TN), her Italian copy-editor and fixer of creative translations Lina (who lives in Tuscany), her neighbor and friend Giuseppina (a busy working mom) and countless readers who take the time to leave comments and suggestions at the bottom of the recipes on this website.
what others are saying…
“Laura is full of enthusiasm for pressure cooking and is very adventurous. Her photographs are gorgeous, and she’s doing a great job of showing her blog readers just how versatile pressure cooking is and why the ‘pc’ deserves a place in everyone’s kitchen.” – Lorna Sass, Pressure Cooking Queen, author of several Pressure Cooking books, including the groundbreaking Cooking Under Pressure
“I’m thrilled and inspired to find a kindred pressure cooking spirit in Laura. I like that her recipes are straightforward and use seasonal ingredients. I’m sure that her Hip Pressure Cooking blog will reach and inspire readers to pick up a pressure cooker, get into the kitchen and cook. Thanks Laura!” – Jill Nussinow, The Veggie Queen, author and creator of Pressure Cooking, a Fresh Look DVD
“..our blog of choice for pressure cooking goodness. Perfect for newbies to the wonders of pressure cooking and more than interesting for those of us who have been cooking under pressure for years” – An Island Gourmand
“It is about time for some ‘new blood’ in pressure cooking!” – Avid Reader of Hip Pressure Cooking
hip pressure cookers
We regularly rotate the pressure cookers used and photographed in my recipes, but often, we’re asked what they are and how we like them. Read our detailed pressure cooker reviews to see what we really think about each one!
Want to see your pressure cooker on this website? Contact us at [email protected]
We’re looking to partner and collaborate with key companies to bring new cooks to pressure cooking and teach them about equipment and ingredient innovations. We provide pressure cooker manufacturers with free published recipes and photographs to use with their product, or exclusive content for their activities to promote pressure cooking.
World-wide pressure cooker demonstrations are also possible for minimal cost.
Foodie Eye Candy
Pressure Cooker Manufacturers
view my recipes