Bessara – Pressure Cooked Moroccan Fava Bean Dip
The moroccan version of Hummus, this dip is made with favas, instead of chickpeas. This recipe is easy, exotic and, most of all, fast!The main ingredient here is dry Fava Beans. You can buy them either shelled or un-shelled.
|Dry Unshelled Fava (1), after it is boiled (2). Dry Split Favas (3) , soaked overnight (4).|
For this recipe, we need split fava beans(3) If you purchase un-shelled dried fava beans (1), just boil them in water for 10 minutes and their skins will slip right off. Then , soak overnight before using for this recipe.
Serve with crackers, crostini, pita, or home-made bread!
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|5L or larger||None||10 min.||High (2)||Natural|
- 2 garlic Cloves, lightly crushed
- 2 cups Split Fava Beans (or shelled whole dried Fava Beans), soaked
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cumin Powder
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 1 heaping teaspoon,harissa
- 1 lemon, zested and squeezed
- salt to taste (about 1-2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In the pre-heated pressure cooker saute garlic cloves until golden.
- Add drained favas, garlic cloves, vegetable oil and about 3 cups of water.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Turn the heat up to high and when the cooker reaches pressure, lower to the heat to the minimum required by the cooker to maintain pressure. Cook for 10-12 minutes at high pressure.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker with the Natural release method – move the cooker off the burner and wait for the pressure to come down on its own (about 10 minutes). For electric pressure cookers, disengage the “keep warm” mode or unplug the cooker and begin counting 10 minutes of natural open time. Then, release the rest of the pressure using the valve.
- Tip the pot and drain most of the cooking liquid (reserve about a cup, should the puree be too thick).
- Add cumin, tahini, lemon zest and harissa, if using. Puree the contents of the pressure cooker with an immersion blender until smooth – adding cooking liquid, if needed. Add salt to taste and blend one last time.
- Serve room temperature with swirl of olive oil and sprinkle of paprika and a squirt of lemon juice.
Yeilds 1½ cups