Altitude time adjustments

home Forums General Problems or Issues Altitude time adjustments

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AZJan 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Carla
    Participant

Can you please offer a guideline for adjusting cooking times for altitude? I’m in Denver, CO at 5,280 feet and have a Kuhn Rikon Duromatic cooker.

Any chance you will be coming to Denver for any demos?

Thank you so much for your guidance and your fantastic site.
    Carla

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ciao Carla,

I looked up your pressure cooker PSI in the “Adjusted Cooking Pressure by Altitude” table in our PSI FAQ:

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-psi-faq-the-stuff-you-didnt-think-to-ask/#high

So, just so you know, your pressure cooker in Colorado is actually operating at about 12.5 (not 15) PSI at high pressure.

For most recipes that require high pressure on this website there is an alternate pressure cooking time for electric and non-standard pressure cookers (those that do not reach 15psi). You will want to pay special attention to this alternate cooking time when pressure cooking meats, legumes and whole grains – in other words dense foods. The difference is negligible and you can use the same cooking times for fruits & vegetables, refined grains (rice & pasta, for example) and seafood.

For special techniques, like the pressure cooker eggs, that require low pressure you may be able to use the same cooking time indicated at high pressure – MAY that particular technique really needs adjustment to cooking time on an egg-batch by batch basis.

I don’t have any current plans to be CO, but you never know – especially since a cousin from the American side of my family just moved there. But, I won’t leave you empty-handed. There is a fantastic chef who may hold pressure cooker classes there- Jenn Woodring.

You can contact her by leaving a comment on her blog:

http://www.jenwoodring.me/

Ciao,

L

P.S. Stay dry!!!

Carla
    Participant

Wow…thank you so much.
    Fantastic info and a local contact.
    Your response is greatly appreciated.
    Carla

Chef Barb
    Participant

Hi Carla,
    I live in Denver, too. I’ve had success following Lorna Sass’s advice in Pressure Perfect. You add 5% time for every 1,000 feet of altitude above sea level. So, here in Denver, I add 25% more time. If a recipe calls for 10 minutes, you add 2.5 minutes and cook for 12.5 minutes. I’m using a Fagor pressure cooker. I use it all the time in my personal chef business and I can’t remember a time the conversion failed. Although, I sometimes tweak it a minute or two the next time I make a recipe.
    Barbara

Carla
    Participant

Barbara, thanks so much. I made beans today and the altitude adjustment was absolutely perfect!!! I’m not kidding these beans are tender and yet not falling apart. I appreciate your tips very much.
    Carla

AZJan
    Participant

Thanks to Carla for asking the question and to both Laura and Chef Barb for the conversion information. I am also new to pressure cooking and I live at 4,600 feet elevation. I knew I needed to increase the time, but was unaware of a formula. Barb’s is simple to remember and figure!

Jan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Want our totally amazing almost weekly pressure cooking newsletter?join free!