Hip Stuffed Zucchini on a Tomato Bed
You can thank Angelo’s winning Cucumber cups on Top Chef for inspiring the look of this dish! I was going to make stuffed zucchini boats, but the cups really make a statement and happen to be the perfect shape to fit inside a pressure cooker.
The the tomato sauce doubles as the steaming liquid for these zucchini cups to make them incredibly zesty! While the ricotta filling is a creamy surprise.
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|5 L or larger||steamer basket||3-5 min.||High(2)||Normal|
- 3 large, thick zucchini
- 1 cup (or 250g) fresh sheep’s milk ricotta
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 14.5 oz. (or 400ml) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 bunch basil, chopped
- 1 bunch thyme, woody stems removed
- 1 bunch oregano, woody stems removed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice the zucchini in 1.5″ (4 cm) long rounds – reserve some of the most attractive stems and ends for decoration.
- Scoop out the innards to ¾ the depth (about 1″ or 3 cm deep) to make little cups.
- In the pressure cooker, with the top off, add a little olive oil, the zucchini innards, pressed garlic cloves and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until they are softened and set aside in a mixing bowl. Do not clean the pressure cooker.
- When while the zucchini innards are still warm (this will help with softening the ricotta), mix with ricotta, bread crumbs, thyme, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Stuff the zucchini with the mixture.
- Back to the empty pressure cooker, soften the chopped onions with a little olive oil and add the can of chopped tomatoes, basil, and half a cup of water.
- Place the steamer basket in the pressure cooker on top of the tomato sauce.
- Place the stuffed zucchini cups (and reserved ends) on the steamer basket.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Turn the heat up to high and when the cooker reaches pressure, lower to the heat to the minimum required by the cooker to maintain pressure. Cook for 3-5 minutes at high pressure.
- When time is up, open the cooker by releasing the pressure.
- Using tongs, carefully pull out the zucchini cups.
- If the tomato sauce is still a bit watery, you can do a second round of zucchini cups. Otherwise, keep the flame on to reduce it a bit, then pour the tomato sauce onto a serving platter.
Are you going to make it? Come back and comment to let me know how it turned out for you!