Lentil Risotto – peasant cooking under pressure
This dish is satisfying, healthy, filling and one of my husband’s favorites! Italians make this dish by cooking lentils and then making a white risotto and mixing it all together before serving. Another way we make this dish is to cook the lentils first and then add the rice – this turns into more of a lentil and rice stew than a creamy risotto.
Nobody cooks, or even pressure cooks, these two ingredients together because risotto is ready in just 7 minutes under pressure while lentils need 10 minutes (plus 10 more minutes of natural release). We ate a lot of overcooked risotto or undercooked lentils until I figured out how to match their cooking times by soaking lentils.
Yes, I soaked lentils. Just like with any other legume, soaking cuts down the cooking time of lentils, too.
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|6 L or larger||none||5-7 min.||High(2)||Normal|
- Serves: 4-6
- Serving size: one sixth
- Calories: 190
- TOTAL Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: .04g
- TOTAL Carbs: 35.1g
- Sugar Carbs: 1.7g
- Sodium: 12mg
- Fiber Carbs: 3.7g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 0
- 1 cup dry lentils, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley, stems and leaves chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly mashed
- 3¼ cups (750ml) vegetable stock
- In the pre-heated pressure cooker, add the olive oil and saute' the onion until just beginning to soften.
- Then add the celery, parsley and saute' for another minute.
- Add the rice and garlic cloves mix well and saute' until it is all evenly wet and pearly (about a minute).
- Add the stock and strained lentils, mix well.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Electric pressure cookers: Cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
Stovetop pressure cookers: Turn the heat up to high and when the cooker indicates it has reached high pressure, lower to the heat to maintain it and begin counting 7 minutes pressure cooking time.
- When time is up, open the cooker by releasing the pressure.
- Mix well and serve immediately with swirl of extra virgin olive oil.