Lentil Risotto – peasant cooking under pressure
This dish is satisfying, healthy, filling and one of my husband’s favorites! Italians make this dish by cooking lentils and then making a white risotto and mixing it all together before serving. Another way we make this dish is to cook the lentils first and then add the rice – this turns into more of a lentil and rice stew than a creamy risotto.
Nobody cooks, or even pressure cooks, these two ingredients together because risotto is ready in just 7 minutes under pressure while lentils need 10 minutes (plus 10 more minutes of natural release). We ate a lot of overcooked risotto or undercooked lentils until I figured out how to match their cooking times by soaking lentils.
Yes, I soaked lentils. Just like with any other legume, soaking cuts down the cooking time of lentils, too.
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|6 L or larger||none||7 min.||High(2)||Normal|
- Serves: 4-6
- Serving size: one sixth
- Calories: 190
- Tot. Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: .04g
- Tot. Carbohydrates: 35.1g
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Sodium: 12mg
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 0
- 1 cup dry lentils, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley, stems and leaves chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly mashed
- 3¼ cups (750ml) vegetable stock
- In the pre-heated pressure cooker, add the olive oil and saute' the onion until just beginning to soften.
- Then add the celery, parsley and saute' for another minute.
- Add the rice and garlic cloves mix well and saute' until it is all evenly wet and pearly (about a minute).
- Add the stock and strained lentils, mix well.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Turn the heat up to high and when the cooker reaches pressure, lower to the heat to the minimum required by the cooker to maintain pressure. Cook for 7 minutes at high pressure (all pressure cooker types).
- When time is up, open the cooker by releasing the pressure.
- Mix well and serve immediately with swirl of extra virgin olive oil.