Pressure Cooker Moroccan Lamb Tajine
Sweet and savory combine with spices we don’t usually associate in a meat dish to create a classic Moroccan Tajine – a dish usually prepared in a conical ceramic pot (larger than the one photographed) that operates a bit like it’s own pressure cooker!
You can serve this dish, with a cardamom infused Basmati rice. Just make your rice in the usual way, and throw in a few crushed Cardamom pods.
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|4L fry pan or larger||None||25 min.||High (2)||Natural|
- about 2.5 lbs or 1.2 kg lamb shoulder, cut into pieces
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 Tsp. Ginger powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin powder
- 2 Galric cloves, crushed
- 2 Onions, roughly sliced
- 10 oz or 300g Prunes, soaked (or a mix of Apricots and Dried Raisins)
- 1 Bay Laurel Leaf
- 1 cup or 250ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3.5 oz or 100g Almonds, shelled, peeled and toasted
- Sesame Seeds
- Olive Oil
- Mix the ground cinnamon, tumeric, ginger, garlic with 2 spoons of olive oil to make a paste, cover the meat with this paste and set aside.
- Put the dried prunes in a bowl, and cover with boiling water cover and, set aside.
- In the preheated pressure cooker, with the lid off on medium heat, add two swirls of olive oil and onions and let them cook until softened (about 3 minutes). Pour out the onions, and set aside. Add the meat, and brown on all sides (about 10 minutes). Then, de-glaze the pressure cooker with the vegetable stock, ensuring to scrape the bottom well and incorporating any brown bits into the rest of the sauce. Then, add the onions, bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Close and lock the lid and pressure cook for 25 minutes at high pressure. When time is up, open the pressure cooker with the natural release method – move the pressure cooker to a cool burner and wait for the pressure to come down on it’s own (about 10 minutes).
- Add to the pressure cooker, with the lid off on medium heat, salt, rinsed and drained prunes, honey and reduce the liquid (about 5 minutes). Fish out the bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds and sesame seeds and serve.