SNAZZY! French “Baked” Eggs
This French classic is usually an egg, in a ramekin baked in the oven for 15 minutes but it only takes 4 minutes in your pressure cooker!
The French tradition of en Cococotte says that you can use either cream or cheese with these little delicacies. I took some liberties with the ingredients to show you how flexible this recipe can be. Have fun with the flavors and combinations or follow the French tradition and make this with Ham, Gruyere cheese or Creme Fraiche and a sprinkle of Chives in the end.You are only limited by your imagination, here are a few I thought up with the ingredients I had on-hand, plus the classic at the end.
- Caprese – Sliced Tomatoes, Mozzarella Cheese, garnish with fresh tomato, basil leaf and toasted pine nuts.
- Tyrolese – Speck (smoked Prosciutto), Gorgonzola cheese, garnish with black pepper and fresh Thyme
- Swede – Smoked Salmon, no cheese, garnish with capers and fennel tufts.
- French Classic – Ham, Gruyère cheese (or cream), garnish with chives.
The glasses used in this recipe are heat-proof shot glasses designed for drinking hot espresso coffee (which should only be used at LOW pressure). Do not use glassware that is not specifically designed to resist heat in your pressure cooker! If you cannot find this type of shot glass, you can use cups, ramekins, or any other heat-proof container for your pressure cooker.
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|5L or larger||Steamer, Ramekin||4 min.||Low (1)||Normal|
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Slices of Meat, Fish or Vegetables
- 4 Slices of Cheese, or shot of cream
- 4 Garnish of Fresh Herbs
- Olive Oil
- Prepare the pressure cooker by adding one cup of water and the trivet and set aside. Prepare the ramekins by adding a drop of olive oil in each and rubbing the bottom and sides. Then, lay a slice of preferred meat or vegetable.
- Break an egg and drop it into the ramekin. Add sliced cheese, or cream, of choice.
- For a soft egg yolk, cover tightly with tin foil (to keep the extra hot steam from having direct contact with the egg) for a hard fully-cooked yolk leave uncovered. Place ramekins in the steamer basket and lower into pressure cooker.
- Close and lock the lid. Set the pressure level to LOW. Turn the heat up high and when the pan reaches pressure, lower the heat and count 4 minutes cooking time at LOW pressure.
- When time is up, release pressure.
- Remove the ramekins carefully and serve immediately on a little plate or saucer.