Fresh beets are two vegetables in one. Delicious greens and earthy tuber. You can pressure cook the beet and then wilt the greens using the residual heat from the cooker. Sauteing them together and finishing with a squeeze of lemon makes for a nutritious wilted salad.
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|5 L or larger||none||10-15 min.||High(2)||Normal|
White Beet and Garlic Saute' - pressure cooker recipe
Author: hip pressure cooking
Recipe type: pressure cooker
This recipe also works with red beets, pressure cook a little longer (say 15 to 20 minutes) and be extra careful when peeling. You may want to saute'only the greens to keep them green.
- 3 whole white beets
- water to cover
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon wedge, squeezed (about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice)
- Cut the greens from the beets and wash well. I immerse them in a large bowl of water and swish them around. After 30 minutes lift out (do not strain) the greens leaving all of the dirt and sand at the bottom of the bowl and put them in a strainer until you need them.
- Put the white beets in the pressure cooker, fill with just enough water to cover and add salt.
- Close and lock the pressure cooker. Turn the heat up to high and when the cooker reaches pressure, lower to the heat to the minimum needed to maintain pressure. Cook for 10-15 minutes at HIGH pressure.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker using the Normal Release method - turn the lever, push the button or lift the valve to release pressure.
- Put the beet greens into the pressure cooker, and push them down into the hot water to wilt. Close the lid and count 5 minutes of cooking time using only the residual heat of the pressure cooker (without additional heat or pressure).
- Strain out the beets and greens. Peel the beets (tugging on the thin skin with a paper towel) and cut into pieces. In a pre-heated saute' pan, on medium-high heat, add olive oil and (when the oil is hot) the beets - do not stir for about 3 minutes to sear. Next, add garlic and beet greens stir frequently until the stems are tender.
- Transfer to serving dish and squirt with fresh lemon before serving.