WOW! Coconut Fish Curry
Spicy, coconutty and filling… this curry can be served by itself as a rich little fish stew or on a fluffy pillow of Basmati rice. The trickiest part of this dish is obtaining all of the ingredients. Since not everyone has access to these specialty ingredients I have suggested substitutions where appropriate.
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|5 L or larger||None||5 min.||Low (1)||Normal|
- 1-1.5 lb (500-750g) Fish steaks or fillets, rinsed and cut into bite-size pieces (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 Tomato, chopped (or a heaping cup of cherry tomatoes)
- 2 Green Chiles, sliced into strips
- 2 Medium onions, sliced into strips
- 2 Garlic cloves, squeezed
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated Ginger, or ⅛ tsp. Ginger Powder
- 6 Curry leaves, or Bay Laurel Leaves, or Kaffir Lime Leaves, or Basil
- 1 Tbsp. ground Coriander
- 2 tsp. ground Cumin
- ½ tsp. ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder , or 1 tsp. of Hot Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp. Ground Fenugreek (Methi)
- 3 Tbsp. of Curry Powder mix. (instead of the 5 spices noted above)
- 2 cups or (500ml) un-sweetened Coconut Milk
- Salt to taste (I used about 2 tsp.)
- Lemon juice to taste (I used the juice from ½ lemon)
- In the preheated pressure cooker on medium-low heat without the lid, add a swirl of oil and then drop in the curry leaves and lightly fry them until golden around the edges (about 1 minute).
- Then add the onion, garlic and ginger and sautee until the onion is soft.
- Add all of the ground spices: Coriander, Cumin, Tumeric, Chili Powder and Fenugreek and sautee them together with the onions until they have released their aroma (about 2 minutes).
- De-glaze with the coconut milk making sure to un-stick anything from the bottom of the cooker and incorporate it in the sauce.
- Add the Green Chiles, Tomatoes and fish pieces. Stir to coat the fish well with the mixture.
- Set the pressure level to LOW. Turn the heat up high and when the pan reaches pressure, lower the heat and count 5 minutes cooking time at LOW pressure (or 2-3 at HIGH). When time is up, release pressure using the Normal method - release vapor through the valve.
- Add salt to taste and spritz with lemon juice just before serving.