The recipe on this platter has almost no prep work and is all cooked together in the pressure cooker. It will only take 20 minutes minutes start to finish – this includes 6 minutes of cooking under pressure.
Originally, I wanted to bring you Braciole alla Toscana, a Tuscan pork chop recipe. It calls for black Tuscan kale boiled in tomato puree. When black kale could not be found it was swapped it with red cabbage – which did not play well with the tomato puree. So the next test was with regular cabbage and no tomato puree. Jackpot!So now, I present you with a Tuscan-inspired pork chops with fewer ingredients but equal amounts of wow!
Why pressure cook a pork chop when you could just saute it? The advantages lie in using just one pot to simultaneously cook a side dish using the juices released from the chops. In short: convenience and flavor.
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|6 L or larger||none||6-8 min.||High(2)||Normal|
- 4 thick-cut Pork Chops (about ¾" or 2 cm)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small head of cabbage (about a pound or 500g)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ cup meat stock
- 2 teaspoons, flour
- Unwrap the pork chops and sprinkle with fennel, salt and pepper.
- Prepare the cabbage by slicing the cabbage in half almost through the core, and then in thick ¾ inch slices and set aside.
- In the pre-heated pressure cooker,on medium-high heat without the lid, add oil, and brown all of the chops on one side only - only two at a time may fit depending on the size of the pressure cooker base, or the chops.
- When all of the chops have been browned and set aside, add the cabbage slices into the empty pressure cooker.
- On top of the cabbage arrange the pork chops brown-side up, overlapping as needed. Pour any juice from the chops and meat stock around the edges.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Electric pressure cookers: Cook for8 minutes at high pressure.
Stove top pressure cookers: Cook for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker with the Normal release - release pressure through the valve.
- Using tongs, move the cabbage and pork chops to a serving platter and tent lightly with foil while preparing the gravy.
- Bring the left-over juices in the pressure cooker to a boil and whisk-in the flour.
- Pour thickened sauce on top of cabbage and pork chop platter and serve.
Related Pressure Cooker Recipes: