When I first came up with first mug cake recipe, 7 years ago, no one was pressure cooking mug cakes. What is the point of whipping out the pressure cooker when you can just slide the mug in the microwave and call it a day?
Instead, it’s exactly how the pressure cooker heats-up foods (from the outside in) that make a lava mug cake possible. The outside of the cake takes shape before the center – ensuring a fully cooked yet molten bubbly center in the middle.
So, the secret is out! Turn any microwaveable mug cake recipe into lava by simply pressure cooking it and adding a little more baking powder than what the recipe calls for.
This mug cake is lavaaaa! : )
|Pressure Cooker||Accessories||Pr. Cook Time||Pr. Level||Open|
|3 L or larger||steamer basket, heat-proof bowl(s)||10 min.||High(2)||Slow Normal|
- Serves: 1 mug
- Serving size: 1 mug
- Calories: 625.9
- TOTAL Fat: 33.5g
- TOTAL Carbs: 77.9g
- Sugar Carbs: 70g
- Sodium: 475.3mg
- Fiber Carbs: 4.6g
- Protein: 12.1g
- Cholesterol: 189mg
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 4 tablespoons (70g) granulated sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 4 tablespoons (45g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (20g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons (28g) milk (your favorite kind, I prefer whole)
- 2 tablespoons (20g) olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Add two cups of water to the base of the pressure cooker and place in the rack or steamer basket and set aside.
- Prepare the mug by adding a few drops of oil on a paper towel and rubbing the inside the of the cup (this keeps the cake from sticking) and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg and sugar together until the egg is fully broken up.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, milk, oil, salt, baking powder and mix well.
- Pour into the mug and lower the uncovered mug into the pressure on the rack or steamer basket.
- Close the lid and set the valve to pressure cooking position.
- Electric pressure cookers and stove top pressure cookers: Cook for 10 minutes at high pressure.
- When time is up, open the pressure cooker with the Slow Normal release - release the pressure very slowly.
- Remove the mug and serve immediately!
CONTINUE to next lesson.