home Forums Beginner Basics 5 days of beginner's luck please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dormouse
    Participant

As a 6 month (seasonal in my mind), keto weekend recipe planner, I feel I needed to hit this one running if I was to introduce it safely and I see it as a safe mate to my weight loss on our new keto diet. It’s arrival in the UK was put back but actually arrived just when I was off work for a week of Wimbledon tennis.

So I planned 3 days of keto instant pot meals and my poor partner looses out if they don’t work. Your thoughts would be most apprecited if experienced – before or after. (as an aside … he needs to loose, I need to gain)

I will post links (and maybe my images) later but I shall def post my plans below:

Tuesday – Chunk fatty beef, green beans and radishs in foil
    Wednesday – Chicken thighs in bones-chicken caccitore with turnip noddles (in foil)
    Friday – BBQ pork ribs and whole chicken (seperate as partner eaten elsewhere)
    Saturday – lamb bone (not worked out yet)
    SUNDAY – chicken broth! (fish dish)
    Late Monday …… DAMN! Should I have fed those chicken thigh bones to the birds?!

As mentioned, recipes will be posted and our experiences will be posted with (most likely) images. Sorry wave to Laura, as no recipes of her’s yet.

In the words of AF – say a little prayer for me!

Many thanks

DM

Dormouse
    Participant

Day 1 – no links yet but will come.

Lesson: why do Americans stick a £15 meat joint in an IP? Hard work to find a fatty one in the UK but we did. £15 joints should be cooked in the oven.

FAILURE! Meat fell apart after 80 mins (we like ours well cooked). Gravy yuck because where did all that fat go – yep, right in the gravy. Lesson learned.

Radishes and green beans exempted as we fell asleep (for 2 hours according to the keep warm function on the IP – our fault) and the vegs were slaughtered … still no burnt food here :)

Chicken tonight. Was thigns with skin and bones in. Skin removed earlier and eaten by the corvids – seriously NOT good fat when steamed.

Will report back tomorrow. Please do tell if you have a useful pot roast recipe for the IP which isn’t fatty.

DM

Greg
    Participant

I don’t have a pot roast recipe, but 80 minutes seems way too long. The longest I cook any meat is 60 minutes HP for a piece of corned silverside. This is a large tough cut of meat, generally fairly lean ( a layer of fat on one side that can be trimmed off.)

Because it is a corned (salted) cut we don’t use the liquid. We also boil rather than braise or steam, so there is a lot of it there.

In case it helps inform you,

Ingredients
    Oil
    2 Onions
    2 Carrots
    1 stick celery
    Handful Peppercorns
    6 Cloves
    1 wheel star anise
    60ml Brown Sugar
    1 large piece corned siverside. NB this is a much thicker cut than brisket
    1 bottle beer (I prefer German Wheat beer, preferably Dunkel)
    Water to cover

Method
    Heat the oil in the PC.
    Chop the veg roughly. No need to peel.
    Add the veg and spices and allow to brown a little.
    Put the meat on top.
    Add the beer and water to cover.
    Add the brown sugar.

Lock and bring to high pressure.
    Maintain pressure for 1 hour (Actual time depends on size of meat but this works for most of the ~1.5kg pieces we use)
    Turn off heat and leave undisturbed one hour. (This amounts to Natural Release plus some extra time for the meat to stabilise)
    Note that I use my 12L Kuhn Rikon stovetop for this. You may need a smaller piece if you have a smaller PC. I don’t own a conventional 6L so I don’t know if the cuts of meat I use will fit in one.

The recipe is based on one on http://www.dadcooksdinner.com. I use his basic timing, but play with the spicing. Actually he does a lot of meat cookery. You may well find more ideas there.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Dormouse, I’m looking forward to reading your adventures – and you’ve created an interesting meal plan (what are radish noodles?). However, if you don’t want to fail, I recommend at least watching the pressure cooking school video series – and following the tested cooking times from the timetable.

I don’t know where you’re getting your recipes, or if you’re making them up as you go, but pressure cooking is a unique cooking method with its own rules so I definitely recommend at least inform yourself before pushing forward, and at the very most follow trusted tested recipes (such as the ones found on this website).

Don’t be discouraged, I admire your go-getter attitude!

Ciao,

L

Dormouse
    Participant

Laura, Greg – THANK YOU!

I am on an adventure – TY for noticing!

Pot roast was bad but as it’s an American thing, I eventually thought (later) not to do the gravy at the same time. (I was hoping for a one pot, complete meal – BIG ask, probably for me at this stage!)

Chicken cacciatore was amazing – thank goodness; hopefully it wasn’t an offence to Laura – not that I’m showing the recipe (Itailian – no chance!)

BBQ pork ribs – can’t blame the PC for the sauce but had wonderfully cheap chunky ribs from Tesco (beautiful), just fall off the bone but I did’t get to pick it off, that’s a fail for me. I want to chew the bone! We only cooked 2 each and my partner wondered why one was fine and the other chewy but I suspect one was below and the other was on top?

Chilli was great but I kept my celeriac rice on the hob as so hard to perfect – that’s a later experiment.

Saturday was the wierdest and would appreciate feedback.

I used 600g stewing steak lamb rather than a half leg of lamb. Loads of gravy (about 1 litre). 25 mins (fall asleep 10 mins, ie keep warm);gravy gone! Then added stock and peppers, cook 5 mins – dried out. Eventually ended up on the hob with added spring water and was jolly tasty.

I haven’t checked the type of meat with Laura’s list (probably should have … ) but the only explanation I can think of is over cooking (but meat not dried).

Still to do whole chicken and bone broth (tomorrow – do I really need to brown breast and add herbs? – after cleaning out stuck on stuff from dried out gravy! Friday should be stock and Saturday should be PIP (no noodle (pasta)) lasagna! Can I saute beef mince in a pot on a trivet I wonder! Thinking I’ll prob do on the stove!

I followed all IP recipes from ‘others’ (not IP or Laura or Greg), apart from the chilli because I didn’t have enough tomatoes!

NB. Laura – the idea was not radish noodles; although very possible (I find turnips easier). Cook those little red radishes (English) and think little potatoes. PC apart, if you have never cooked radishes, you have missed something in my mind – discovered in making keto corned beef hash which I do feel I have mastered (non PC)! – meaning; do I crave potatoes – NO!

Would love to see you explore keto with the IP/PC ;)

Many thanks

DM

Greg
    Participant

> I used 600g stewing steak lamb rather than a half leg of lamb. Loads of gravy (about 1 litre).
    > 25 mins (fall asleep 10 mins, ie keep warm);gravy gone! Then added stock and peppers,
    > cook 5 mins – dried out. Eventually ended up on the hob with added spring water
    > and was jolly tasty.

Size really does matter with Pressure Cooking. 25 minutes is probably about right for a leg of lamb, but with the smaller pieces you used, 10 minutes would be more appropriate. Glad it ended up OK for you in the end.

As for the Chicken Cacciatore, You might want to check out Laura’s recipe. It is in part 6 of her pressure cooking school.

For the Chicken stock/broth. No you don’t need to brown the bird. Nor do you have to add the herbs. Both of these steps add flavour though. I personally would not skip them. Browning causes the Maillard reaction which alters the proteins, fats and sugars already present in the meat in a flavourful way.

Herbs (and spices for that matter) are there for flavour not nutrition. Quite often a cuisine is determined by the herbs and spices used in the cooking. If you change the herb/spice mix in the dish, you can change the apparent origin of the dish. The difference between Beef Vindaloo, Beef Stroganoff and Beef Burgundy is largely in the flavourful extras, not the core ingredients nor the cooking method.

Dormouse
    Participant

Just to say I’m doing that darn naked cornfed organic chicken tonight without browning (we’re not eating the skin anyway!) and I’m checking here for timings/liquid needed before anywhere else!

Great vid from Laura on YT yesterday :) And thank you Greg for the recipe, I am in the process of understanding it in relation to my future ‘adventures’ so sorry for my non immediate feedback.

DM

Dormouse
    Participant

In response to Greg:

TY! Re the orig recipe you posted – did you have the ‘gravy’ or just the meat? I think I may have ‘brain ignored’ the US vid I watched.

Re my lamb recipe, TY again, I’ll chalk that up to learning and be grateful it worked alright in the end!

Shame on me for not following an expert IP Italian cook for a cacciatore recipe but at the time I was looking for easy keto IP recipes. No excuse!

Re the chicken: I put it in the pot about 10 mins ago as it has just reached pressure. 1.8kg, 1 litre water (me being careful!), scattered mixed herbs over chic and in water. PC high for 25 mins. No keep warm and will allow natural release. Hope OK! Timings taken from here for a whole chicken.

Greg, thank you SO much for taking time to read my ramblings and respond and to all the others you do for as well. You are very much appreciated alongside Laura.

Edit: following re-reading. Re the chicken. It’s a 100% experiment for me as I want to make broth from those bones and the bones last week plus 1 full meaty rib and some carrots etc (seperate IP dish). I do want the chicken meat to be edible so as to not waste but it’s sort of a side line for this one and I’m not looking for it being anything other than ‘nibbles’ in this instance. I am going to save your comments for future reviews so I don’t forget. TY:)

Dormouse
    Participant

Sorry, keep re-reading! For Laura:

Laura, re your original post (TY), here I am as dormouse, in the school/YT I am dormousey. We have ‘spoken’ many times and it was you and answering my questions that gave me the confidnce to buy one. I was so proud to see your name on the IP recipe book that I immediately pointed your name out to my partner and said ‘that’s the lady I’m learning from!’ He was very impressed. The morning after the lamb stew went wrong he did ask me how and I said I probably should have checked your site re the meat timing and that the recipe I followed (not yours) was wrong, which Greg has since proved right.

THANK YOU for so much.

DM

Greg
    Participant

> Re the orig recipe you posted – did you have the ‘gravy’ or just the meat?

Just the meat. The liquid is still very watery and ends up quite salty as it leeches some of the salt out of the beef.

Oh and I forgot. I also add a slurp (probably a bit less than a tablespoon ) of Cider Vinegar. It goes in with the brown sugar.

Since none of the veg make it on to the plate, I have experimented leaving them out, but while the result is edible, it is by no means as tasty as when I use the veg/spices so in they stay.

If you haven’t already, you would do well to work through Laura’s “Pressure Cooking School” There is both a video and a text based version with links all over the site so I won’t bother posting a link to it.

Somewhat less obviously, Laura also breaks down her recipes by diet. Here is the link to her Low Carb section. It is probably pretty close to your Keto diet.

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/category/diet/low-carb/

Dormouse
    Participant

Thanks Greg – both for the link and the comment. WOW – Me presuming you American because me’s never expecting to leave gravy behind when putting so much into it!

Naked chicken on my surface tonight! Jolly tasty!!!

Skins and bones may transfer to Sunday as need empty pot for PIP on for Saturday’s lasagna!

Darn, I did wash those baskets?

DM

Greg
    Participant

Australian and proud of it. The clue is in the fact that I always put measurements in SI (metric). If I am feeling generous I will add Imperial measures in parentheses. Oh and watch out for my tablespoons. Aussie Tbs are 25% bigger than the ones in the US.

I am really glad you are enjoying your exploration of this new form of cooking – it is only 300 or so years old after all. :P

Dormouse
    Participant

TY! Trying to draw a line now. Of course – you great convicts will use the best system, like us Brits :P to the USA! Seriously, do you own a set of cups? I own two – DARN! That’s the keto part I think so safe for you to ignore.

The chicken ‘naked’ was tasty but I would have picked the bones better if it weren’t for the jellied fat. Could I have lost that if sauted first?

The bone broth I did for 3 x 2hrs and it had mostly dried out. I re-toped pot with water and did for 1 hour before freezing and got about 3.5 litres. It looked successful. Got several silicon freezer bags to take the load and know I will need more. Burnt reheating meal in ceramic in oven suggests so ….

Veg stock and pork chops to go; maybe in another post. My PIP (pot in pot) no noodle/pasta was the best we had ever tasted and the pot cleaned wonderly in the dishwasher.

Where next? Make veg stock – what can go wrong?! Need to crack cooking pork loins (check Laura’s timings and weights) and will I ever get the perfect chicken to donate bones to a broth?!

TY! The adventure continues and I hope others learn too. :) Main thing is I am now ready to start the REAL adventure!

DM

Greg
    Participant

I own more measuring devices than you can shake a stick at. At least three sets of measuring cups + several graduated cups. Also three sets of measuring spoon (including 1 US set so I don’t have to convert – just grab the correct set. Three digital scales in regular use Accurate to 0.1g, 1g and 5g but with correspondingly larger maximums. Four digital thermometers, including two Thermopens which are the bees knees. So don’t blame your Keto diet. I personally use the seafood diet (see food and eat it). Though I am trying with limited success to move to a healthier regime.

That jellied fat is actually flavoured gelatin, and should be carefully scraped off and added to your stock/broth. Alternatively you can put it in a saucepan and reduce it down to make a brilliant gravy. I spent years tossing it out before I discovered that simple fact.

3×2 hours sounds way too long for any pressure cooker recipe. I cook my chicken stock for 30 minutes or so. But even then, I would question the fact that it had dried out. Even an old jiggler style pressure cooker should still have liquid in it. Though they lose far more than the modern style of PC. You should see no more than a wisp of steam coming out…
    Electric: check your seals.
    Modern Stovetop: Are you turning the heat right down once it reaches pressure? You should apply just enough heat to maintain pressure. With my stove and pressure cookers, that means I have the gas almost off.
    Old stovetop (weight or jiggler): you should set the heat so the PC vents only once a minute or so. If it vents continuously the heat is too high.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.