home Forums Request Line Adding pasta to a recipe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    William471
    Participant

I wish to cook my pasta along with my meat sauce “ragu” recipe, found in my Fagor recipe booklet.
    The recipe calls for the following amounts of liquid: 1/3 C red wine, 14.5 oz. can chopped tomatoes, 7 oz. tomato puree.
    Cooking time: 10 minutes at high pressure or 15 min. at low pressure, followed by a natural release, i.e., to let the pressure reduce on its own.
    My question is the following: Do I need to add more liquid, i.e. a quantity of water? I would imagine that I should at least cover the pasta with water.
    And secondly, if, according Laura’s conversion times for cooking pasta in the PC, the cooking time is, say, 5 min.at low pressure, should I open the cooker before the last 5 minutes of cooking time to add the pasta, and then proceed with the final 5 min. of cooking at low pressure?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Greg Lee
    Participant

I don’t know, but I’ve noticed 3 methods of cooking dried pasta without a PC. (1) Cook the pasta in salted water, then drain and add the sauce. (2) Cook the pasta in the sauce. (3) Cook the pasta partially in water, then drain and cook the rest of the way in the sauce.

Your recipe uses method (2), and assumes the sauce will have enough liquid that no additional water is needed. Maybe the idea is that the high temperature and pressure will force enough liquid into the pasta that no separate preliminary cooking in water is needed. Worth a try.

For the theory behind your recipe, see Laura’s reply in her pasta recipe to a comment: “The benefits of pressure cooking pasta is not in saving time, it’s cooking the pasta IN the sauce. The pasta absorbs ONLY tomato sauce, not water. The flavor is amazing …”

Greg
    Participant

I do this all the time. Unless you are in a real hurry to eat, treat the ragu and pasta as separate cooks. Cook the ragu normally, then add the pasta and top up with water until the pasta is covered. Bring to LOW pressure then cook for T/2 time. Where T is the cooking time on the packet of pasta. You will want to add a little oil and salt as the pasta will need it.

I tend to make more ragu than I need immediately, so I pack it all into single use sized packs and freeze all but one. I add one that back into the hot PC, then add the pasta, press it down, then add water until the pasta is just covered.

When the lid first comes off it is usually a little watery, but with quick release it is still boiling, so it thickens up quite quickly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.