home Forums Recipe Swap another yogurt question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SusanM_S
    Participant

Hello, I have been using your yogurt recipe for the Instant Pot and love the taste of homemade yogurt but the consistency is not quite as firm as I would like. I’ve been making it directly in the jars, scalding them first and then making the yogurt. I typically leave the water from the scalding in the bottom of the pan during the yogurt processing time (8 hours). I wondered if I needed to dump out that water before I processed the yogurt to get a firmer consistency or if I needed to process it longer? Alternatively, I guess I could drain it using cheesecloth or a coffee filter, but I am trying to avoid an extra step. :)

Thanks for any help you can give me! I LOVE this website.

Susan

Anonymous
    Participant

I followed @Laura’s link in the other post. Not sure why. I don’t often make yoghurt. I guess it’s just because it’s the sort of thing I do.

Anyway, I came across this in the comments below the actual article:

The best yogurt tip I know is to use a long initial heat. Many recipes call to heat the yogurt to 180 degrees and then let it cool. This is not for sterilization; it’s to denature the milk proteins so that they hold the whey in their web-like matrix after culturing. If you keep the milk around 180 for at least an hour before letting it cool to 115 or so and adding starter, you’ll get much thicker yogurt– not thick like strained yogurt, but thick like custard or sour cream. Sooooo good.

From a character called “MatcbookHymnal”
    To save you going over to the other thread, here is the link:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/crafty-solutions-3-ways-to-mak-125216

Never tried it. If you do, let us know how it goes. My sous vide method would make it easy. Not sure if it is feasible with the IP.

Also the comment about denaturing the proteins disagrees with my understanding. Still it makes sense. It maybe doing that as well as pasteurization.

Also, I cannot see how reusing the water would have any effect any which way.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Hi Greg, She is using the technique where the jars are pressure cooked for a minute and cooled – so it’s not easy to control how long you heat things up and, in this case, pressure cooking longer will not affect the thickness (since we all already know there is almost no evaporation inside the pressure cooker, right?! ; ).

Susan, What you CAN do is remove the lid as soon as pressure is released and leave the jars uncovered. This will reduce the milk through evaporation. Another way to hurry things along, is to remove the “skin” that forms at the top of the jars at least once during this process (you can even do it twice). It’s like a cap that prevents the milk from evaporating and reducing. Do this with a clean spoon and eat it it (it’s good)!

At the bottom of the article there are other suggestions – straining sounds a bit excessive especially since you already made your yogurt in-the-jar, so I recommend trying dried milk powder.

BTW, the picture I have with the spoon standing in the yogurt was simply thickened using the uncovered cooling as I describe above.

Ciao,

L

SusanM_S
    Participant

Got it! Thanks! I will experiment on my next batch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.