home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat anova sous-vide cooking questions

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

No idea. I haven’t bought one. I was hoping one of you had and could offer an unbiased opinion. I just saw one being demoed at the local markets. On the surface it looks good and will replace a lot of other gadgets. But I have most of them anyway. And I can buy an entire stove for that kind of money.

And I am wary of one appliance does everything mentality. Even if “Jack of all trades. Master of none” doesn’t apply, if that one appliance breaks you are snookered.

Also it is very hard to find hard figures for it. After watching about 10 marketing videos I now know it (TM5 not the older TM31) weighs to a maximum of 6kg in 5g increments. Not much use if I want to add 0.2g Xanthan gum. Still no idea how much power it draws. Nor how well it is sealed against spills. Nor the answers to several dozen other questions I have.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I have heard of the Thermomix but thought it was just a food processor.
    Live and learn.
    If I had nothing but bucks and/or a giant kitchen I would probably buy it or similar just to play with but it doesn’t look useful enough or space saving enough to justify. Still playing with appliances/gadgets/electronics is often my idea of a good time.
    Couple of interesting links.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thermomix-unhappy-customers/354228048077604
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3087163/How-does-Thermomix-one-cooking-appliance-compare-cheaper-rivals-cult-like-king-kitchen-face-against-swath-challengers-Australia.html.

Like yourself I have gadgets and pots and appliances etc. that can do most anything a thermomix does. I have burnt out more than one food processor, been sometimes unhappy with moderately expensive ones and happy with cheaper ones. A couple of years ago I bought a Kitchen-Aid 13 cup architect food processor. While I do use it, the weight, size and the fact that it takes me 5 minutes or longer to put together when I haven’t used it for a while do not please me. Last year I bought a small moulinex food processor from a thrift store for $5.00 which I use at least 3 times a week. Often daily. It is practically an antique and would be hard to get parts for but was in new condition with all parts accessories and manual looking unused. Didn’t need it but I am sure glad I bought it. Same with my Cuisinart cordless stick blender. Much more useful than my much more expensive corded Braun.
    No cord to unwind etc. and powerful enough for anything I want to stick blend.

Most all in one things I have bought I only use one or two features. And of course only one feature can be used at a time generally.

My Instant Pot is a prime example. I cannot pressure cook and slow cook at the same time, not that I want to slow cook anyway. And the feature I bought it for (because of?) was the programmability/app/sous vide possibilities and we all know how that went.

But as you also know I am happy with it and it gets used almost daily at home and fairly often in my extremely limited kitchen here.

So no Thermomix in sight for me. But I might try to track one down and view it.

I am however contemplating a new stove or better yet a built in cooktop. My current ceramic cooktop stove is nice enough but large and I am wondering do I really need an oven. Sometimes I use it a lot, but have gone for long periods without using it. I am also thinking built in wall oven. Any advice?

I may be genetically predisposed to appliance junkyism. Have a cousin in England with more appliances than I could fit in my entire apartment. 4 wall ovens, a stove, cooktop, washer dryer and a combo washer dryer, and something that does dry cleaning. The garage and garden shed and den are stuffed to the gills so they must both park in the driveway. Most of her walls are lined with full cupboards and shelves. But she sails happily through life and neither she or her husband seem to think they have too much stuff. Wonderful funny charming people who somehow maintain a semblance of order amid chaos.

Anonymous
    Participant

Unlike me. I manage to maintain chaos among order. Sigh.

I have a separate oven and cooktop. And wouldn’t have it any other way. The oven is a double. One large and one small. I only put it as the rubbish oven I replaced was very large and I needed to get a double oven to fill the hole. Still it has been handy at times. Pam prefers the smaller lower oven as it suits her hobbit like stature. I prefer the larger top oven as it heats more evenly. We have the oven at eye level rather than at floor level. It is much easier to use there.

The cooktop is dual fuel. 3x gas. 1x electric (ceramic). I couldn’t get gas/induction at the time and given our dodgy electricity supply was not prepared to have only electric. We also went for an inline system rather than two front two back which is more common. It uses a lot of counter space (4ft wide) but is worth it. No reaching over a hot pot to stir the one at the back.

Both cooktop and oven are (different) Australian brands so would not mean much to you, but remember that you can always buy the cooktop and oven that suit you even if they are different brands.

Anonymous
    Participant

I skimmed those links. Somehow I don’t think I’ll be buying a thermomix any time soon. While a lot of it was sour grapes at buying the old model just weeks before a new one came out, there were a lot of genuine problems that the company tried to fob off. Now all gadgets can have issues. They only become deal breakers if the company behind them goes into denial. And that seems to be the case here. Having to go to court to get a refund for a faulty appliance? I’ll shop elsewhere thanks.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Me either because of that, the price and it looks to large in the videos for convenience. But the Jetson’s kitchen will soon be upon us. I’d love to see it of course, but think it will be detrimental to cooking/eating over all.

BTW I just cooked sous vide some fairly small cheap frozen shrimp and amazed how good they are. Shrimp and toast for breakfast, how decadent is that.

Suzanne
    Participant

Helen, backtracking again.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed on the IP Smart Improvements sooner rather than later. I want an electric PC when I’m tired of being stuck in the kitchen Sunday morning and want to run out for some errands, but have one last thing to cook. Then I think, “My errands take longer than I expect because I get sidetracked. And I want the freedom to get sidetracked. But if I get sidetracked, IP will overcook that last thing I put in because of Keep Warm.” Beans and whole grains don’t mind sitting a few hours. But they do mind overcooking. One less pot to tend while the rest of the cooking is going on? — that’d be nice.

I had to look up what OAMC is. That’s quite ambitious, to cook a month’s worth of food. Brings to mind an old friend who got obsessed with making Seal-A-Meals for the freezer. For months that’s almost all she did. Turned out her new marriage was scorched earth from Day 1. Made more sense when I knew that . . .

I cook a week’s worth of bean stews and grains, and throw any extras in the freezer. My freezer is a refrigerator-top one, not big, and I’ve been in the habit of filling it up with organic frozen fruit or organic local veg on sale or in bulk. But recently I started leaving more space for beans, stews, grains, and plain cooked tempeh. Yes, tempeh is not fun, but it’s quick plant protein for breakfast. Never gets better than tolerable, no matter how much I chef it up, but it’s easy, morning protein that keeps well in the fridge. Eggs and bacon sound so good! :-(

Interesting to hear that frozen fish is excellent sous vide. Nothing I presently do keeps the liquids from running out. IP really should be selling a small sous vide rack that would keep food packets horizontal at the bottom of the pot, where the temp is more controlled. I’d read online about mason jars, but would they work for fish? I thought the idea was to get all the air out so the food cooks uniformly against the water. I was interested in the silicon envelopes, but read they leaked. Maybe they will get better in a few years. I’d use one of those.

Here are the smaller PCs I’ve been looking at. Don’t know how the price would change in Canada.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Anniversary-Cooker-3-5-L/dp/B000H89P8I
    http://www.cookability.biz/duromatic-inox-side-grip-22cm/b_314.htm, the 4-quart
    http://pleasanthillgrain.com/brk-alpha-pressure-cooker-stainless, the 4-quart

None suit me completely; the Anniversary cooker has a smallish aluminum plate on the bottom, which would slow its heating. The Inox would cost about $255 in the U.S. — expensive. And the BRK has a larger diameter than I’d like, and with the distributor changing in the last couple of years and the reduced guarantee, not certain I could keep it in parts as long as a KR. It’s more practical to buy a set and get the small cooker for cheap, but who knew we would get addicted to PCing when we decided to get that first pot? Buying a second, small pot is challenging.

Suzanne
    Participant

Guy,

I see your point. I’ll mention the GoWise to my friend. I referred him to Instant Pot because I was under the impression that stainless rather than Teflon pots were still a rarity, but I haven’t researched that recently. I’ll leave that to my friend. But I see the GoWise has a stainless pot and a better price point.

HelenAdams
    Participant

@Suzanne
    One way to get around the keep warm function is a plug in timer. I have a timer power bar that was about $10. I think it is 15 minute increments. I have it on my kitchen wall and rarely use the timer function but is handy on occasion for going out or if I am wanting a nap which I often am:)

I was doing the OAMC thing with a couple of friends so it was a social thing. Was fun but with scheduling, small kitchens and different tastes/needs it didn’t last long. I do most of my cooking on a daily basis these days although I often make a 2-4-6 portion recipe and freeze/refrigerate if I know I will like it or to give to friends. I live alone currently but will probably get another roommate who likes to eat one of these days.

It isn’t that hard to keep the food weighted down. I don’t know about Mason jars for fish, but it works for custard/cheesecake. I made frozen shrimp sous vide this AM and they were smallish cheap ones. I was amazed at how well they turned out. Plump and not dry at all with minimal shrinkage. The texture was like bigger shrimp/prawns.

I am afraid I go with the plastic because the benefits (for me) outweigh the risks. I think the foodsaver/Ziplok are reasonably safe. I am more concerned/annoyed by the environmental damage but I won’t go into that except to say I do as much as I can to recycle and reuse. And it is pretty hard to avoid plastic/Styrofoam (my biggest peeve as Styrofoam isn’t being recycled much). I have even had the worm farm and will likely do it again.

Back to the fish. The shrimp I did at 136 degrees which is close to the Instant pot keep warm function. Fish steaks, filets and thick chunks I have done between 140 and 160. Prefer about 150 for texture but prefer 160 because the fish is hot and the texture is still fine. Fish is one of the fastest cooking sous vide foods. Approximately 20 minutes from fresh or 30 from frozen IIRC.
    This could be done in a beer cooler or a pot in the sink or even a crockpot keep warm probably and a good thermometer. I did the beer cooler thing from Serious Eats a few years ago but was with eggs and meat and cooking time was much longer (PITA). Wish I had tried the fish:). Every time I do fish I am impressed and pleased etc. I have not done much to make it fancy. Plus you get a bit of fish stock each time to use in a risotto which the Instant pot makes wonderfully.

I use the clip on side method but it is not hard to Mickey Mouse a bottom of the pot method. Put the trivet on the bottom, then the food, then another small wire rack/trivet and some cutlery or a jar of pennies etc. on top. I think it is overkill though as the food I did do in the Instant Pot was evenly cooked top to bottom of bag. I could not clip on the side with Instant Pot so I suspended it from a chopstick.

The Pressure cookers you linked to are about 50 to 100% more in Canada, maybe because our dollar is low right now but generally things are cheaper in the US. A friend saved around $2000 recently on a propane fridge shipped to the Yukon from one of the southern states. I am wanting a smaller frypan? style PC probably just because Greg has one. I may go with a cheaper, more readily available one that can be returned easily if I don’t like it. Not big on my priority list but that doesn’t mean I won’t get one. I agree about the challenging and would have bought a set if I knew then. But sets have only one cover so I could not give away my existing 6 litre stovetop and don’t want to have to store another. Oh well we shall persevere.

I would buy the Gowise if it was cheap in Canada which it is not because I don’t mind a challenge and 4 liter seems a nice size. Guy who rarely cooked, doesn’t own a functional stove managed very well but it was frustrating for him at first.

I have seen Instant Pot Duos new for as low as $109 USD and second hand (generally unused or lightly used) for as little as $40 CAD on Craigslist. And one can demand to run the hot water test to make sure it works.

Pretty sure your friend would be happier with it or a Cuisinart etc. as there are many specific recipes/videos for these pots. Makes for a much shorter learning curve. I guess overall I would recommend an Instant Pot for this reason.

I have never eaten tempeh although I do eat vegetarian alternatives sometimes. The older I get the less inclined I am to eat meat, even the always delicious bacon. My mind or body just seems to go meh often at animal protein unless it is fish or cheese. But I am buying it when it is at an irresistible price and/or see an irresistible recipe and I would not have much company over for dinner if I went vegan. And I tend to avoid soy but I will get me some tempeh just because it looks interesting. Maybe try some chipotle in adobo sauce in the tempeh dish or ancho. I adore chipotle corn soup and have taken to putting a bit in otherwise bland food to make it more interesting. I keep it in a jar in the freezer and pry a bit out when I want it. A small jar goes a long way and it imparts a smoke flavour.

HelenAdams
    Participant

@Greg
    I missed your kitchen stove post. Thanks for the info. I never heard of a lined up cooktop/hob. Will have to look into.
    My big problem with induction/combo cooktop is that they do not have timers as the portable ones do. I know I can use a separate timer, even have one set up on my balcony PC. But I love the timer in my induction cooktop. So simple and reliable.

I have an extremely small galley kitchen crammed full of stuff which I have extended into the dining area piecemeal. Freezer/kitchen carts and extra shelving on dining room back wall. I am hoping to do major renovations starting in October starting with general facelift and electrical fixes/improvements then on to the kitchen. Unfortunately I feel the urge to micromanage the whole thing. I am making myself crazy.

Money is an object but I have no children so it is my money:)

Looking at ovens I see there is a wall oven that opens sideways. That looks ideal. Well my wish list is endless, I want, of course a double sink, pull out /pull down shelving with much more of it. appliance lifts and or pull out appliance garages. And one of those fridge freezers with the extra front storage layered doors. Then there is the dishwasher/washer dryer etc.

My condo is nice enough but dated and has very little storage. If you are bored sometime any suggestions would be appreciated as I am determined to do it but scared.

I have noticed that many products are available in Australia that aren’t in Canada. I strongly considered immigrating to Australia many years ago when they would pay your fair etc. if you agreed to stay for two years. Heck of a deal but unfortunately I wasn’t quite old enough to go without parental permission and I ended up hitchhiking to Toronto instead. Oh well.

Anonymous
    Participant

@Suzanne,
    The vacuum is not important for sous vide despite the name. What IS important is the thermal contact. Air is very poor so just putting a piece of fish in a jar would not work very well. But if you then filled the jar with oil you would have a workable method. You would use a lot of oil though. Maybe you could reuse it or perhaps chop the fish so it packed better so you need less oil. The time would be a bit longer as the glass would also be a bit of a thermal barrier but I am sure it would work.

@helen
    Don’t ever buy something because I have one. That way lies madness. And poverty.

gteague
    Participant

@greg: way way way too late for that advice dude! but you’re more than compensated for the $$$ you’ve cost me. [g]

i’m not responding much, but reading every word here.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

I am somewhat surprised but I just checked and my cooktop is still available
    I have this for gas
    http://www.highland.com.au/products/cooktops/ht3ss-nl/
    Paired with
    http://www.highland.com.au/products/cooktops/ht1ce/
    Again it was to fill a hole in the bench top that I bought both. I very rarely use all four hobs. And I notice they now do the wok burner coupled with a pair of induction hobs. That would probably be my pick if I was buying again. I doubt they do a 110V version though.

As it happens I went for the side opening oven door. It is great especially for people with short arms. You do want to make sure you have heat resistant bench space right next to the oven though. I did have trouble with the door sagging after a few years. It turned out that the screws just needed tightening. Take a good close look at the hinges though. Oven doors are heavy and they put a lot of stress on the hinge.
    This is the current version of my oven
    http://www.sga.com.au/built-in-double/w1/i1001251/

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well I love them both. Not sure if I can have gas though. Not that commonly used in condos/apartments here.

My interest in Induction cooking started about 15-20 years ago with Ming Tsai and his induction wok. Prohibitively expensive then so I leapt on the cheap induction cooktop I have now. Slightly melted a hotel room rug with the cheap pan that comes with it which put me off for a few years:). Still I like it well enough now. One of the few times where cheap actually worked out.

Ideally (I think) I would want one induction burner even if untimed, one gas and one wok and a well ventilated charcoal type burner if such a thing exists. Can’t say I care about ceramic, but a restaurant style smooth grill would be lovely. Good luck with that there as they say in Quebec.

I could get that in a very expensive stand alone stove with interchangeable parts but then I don’t want a stand alone stove. And where to store all those parts I would want. And a good gas burner would be more practical than an induction wok I am thinking.

Do you have your cooktop mounted at the front or the back? More accessible counter space if mounted at the back for mis en place etc. but then that counter space would have to be reached over.
    And then I am thinking a pull down shelf at the back would be handy for commonly used items.

I have started a new thread on the topic. Tanks a bunch for the links.

HelenAdams
    Participant

@greg
    I would not buy one because you have one although I am already quite mad.
    I would buy one because you are always mentioning how often you use it as opposed to the many other things that you have. But also I have looked into them and it seems practical. Storage is a biggy and I would be less tempted to cook too much just because the pot looked empty. I know better but when did that ever matter.

There are many things I have and love but would not recommend because I use them infrequently or only when I am being exacting and careful which isn’t often enough. My scale which measures in 1 gram or possibly in .5 gram increments for example works perfectly but who do I know who would use one. I use it for chefsteps and occasional baking, but I am sure I would get the crazy lady look if I recommended it to anyone I know.

Anonymous
    Participant

I have one scale that is precise to 0.01g (max 200g) that is even accurate. Good luck I am sure as it was a cheapie.
    I have another scale, also accurate, that is precise to 1g (max 2000g). When I bought that one I took a known weight with me and weighed it on about two dozen sets of scales in the shop. I got some dirty looks, but they turned interested when i shared my results. I bought the only set of scales that were accurate. Not the cheapest. But not the most expensive either. There were three of that model. Only one was accurate.

I use both of these every day.

I have two other kitchen scales that I hardly ever use
    5g precision up to 10kg (about 35g off accurate but consistent so can be compensated for)
    0.1g precision up to 500g. Accurate but it eats batteries for some reason.

You only have one scale and only precise to 0.5g. Yep definitely a crazy lady. :P

gteague
    Participant

can’t believe i have mr gadget aka reference calibrations beat!

but i have scales accurate to 1g, 0.1g, 0.01g _and_ 0.001g!

http://amzn.to/1LU5kfI

of course the latter only measures up to about 50g or less, but still.

also @greg, you’re welcome to borrow my calibration weights set any time you wish. [g]

the scales were meant for my retirement plan, which was treasure hunting and i bought a metal detector for the use. a very very fancy wireless one, of course! but despite being on a forum with the french engineering team who designed it and buying an aftermarket book by the lead engineer, it’s a total mystery to me. i can throw various items on the ground and whether they are treasure or slugs, i can tell no difference.

but my kitchen scale was dirt cheap and the most useful one i have: http://amzn.to/1LU4Rde

the prices have shot through the roof since i bought mine. i paid less than half what they’re asking now.

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Hey they were just my kitchen scales. ;)
    And 0.001g must be impossible. I have to hold my breath even when using the 0.01g one.

gteague
    Participant

hey, someone has to weigh those hummingbird feathers, am i right?

Anonymous
    Participant

We don’t have hummingbirds. We have emus.

gteague
    Participant

so do we. you haven’t heard about the great emu gold rush about 20 years ago here in the states? yeah, everyone was gonna get rich raising them and thousands appeared seemingly from nowhere. long ago i lived right next to an exotic animal farm and the field next to the access road was full of emus. i’d stop to photograph them at times.

i dislike nearly all birds (except hummers and roadrunners and red tail hawks) but emus are especially nasty. they will peck anything shiny and camera lenses are a primo target. i once drove through a wildlife preserve where they had emus and ostrich and they damm near pecked my car into pieces before i could move along!

Anonymous
    Participant

Damn. I knew I should have gone with
    “We have cockatoos. They don’t have to hum. They know the words”

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well I don’t begrudge a bird or animal fighting back. Not that I want to be on the receiving end or cheer them on but we eat far more chickens and bears etc. than manage to eat us.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Hey Suzanne
    I remember us discussing tempeh and I have still not tried the basic stuff. Too many choices in my life,

I bought some Tofurkey tempeh bacon though and it is wonderful.

Suzanne
    Participant

@Helen, nice to hear from you! I’ll take a look at that Tofurkey bacon next time I’m shopping. It’s worth paying extra for someone else to jazz up tempeh — it takes a lot of effort and time, and might as well be a mass production operation in some other kitchen. “Wonderful” is high praise indeed for so homely and humble a foodstuff as tempeh. I think “tolerable” is as far as my culinary skills have taken it.

Since we chatted last about umami strategies, I’ve started using ATK veg stock cubes when veg stock is called for. It’s improved my soups/stews more than anything else I’ve tried recently (except, of course, homemade chicken stock).
    http://eat.at/swap/forum1/247973_Has_anyone_tried_the_Vegetable_Broth_Base_from_Cook’s_Illustrated_that_c

It’s a pain to keep homemade chicken stock always on hand because it takes up too much room in my freezer. But I can freeze the above recipe in little 1 Tablespoon hockey pucks and store them in a mason jar, and the stock they make is great. I use only one Tablespoon of soy sauce and none of the added salt to keep the stock usable for dried beans.

What else is new in your kitchen?

HelenAdams
    Participant

Not much new in my kitchen. Health problems have been slowing me down severely.
    Not totally at an end but I have improved immensely in the last month or two.

Coincidentally I am doing just a plain chicken stock in PC (no aromatics or spice. Was recommended and curious. Plus the bones were piling up. but that recipe looks good and easy and actually inexpensive compared to some :)

And partially due to health problems I have access to some pretty cheap fresh organic veg and other items like the tempeh.
    Tried the tofu Tofurkey stuff and was not to crazy about. tastes good but texture :(

I did buy a new gadget recently (which I shouldn’t) the Smoking Gun and smoked salad is very good. No luck with anything else so may go back :)

Suzanne
    Participant

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Hopefully your freezer kept you well provisioned during your health problem.

Funny you brought it up, but I made my chicken stock without additional ingredients this winter as well. Just laziness. Seems to work as well.

Lucky you, with inexpensive access to organic veg! Have you checked out your new neighborhood Whole Foods yet?

I’ve looked at Tofurkey but never bought it. I hear it’s one of the better soy turkey products. In my area I often see tempeh offered as part of a vegetarian Reuben Sandwich. I’ll give that a try someday — just curious. Marinated, baked tofu that I’ve bought frozen has been pretty good in a burger with all the fixings. It’s been a project on my back burner to try baking and freezing some myself someday. I hear the same is also good cut up in a stir-fry. (In my case, a stir-steam)

Yep, you are usually up to something new and interesting in your kitchen. Smoking a salad? Never heard of that. You seem to have spent more time in isolated or wild places than many, so maybe developed a taste for smoke there?

Me, lately I’ve been trying new quinoa recipes in the PC — it’s great not scraping the bottom part out of a pan, so I’m liking that. And over the winter I tried the varieties of posh beans that had been piquing my curiosity. My Bean Great Leap Forward is winding down now. It was time-consuming and somewhat pricey, but I did manage to expand my bean horizons by quite a bit. With summer coming, I’m ready to step away from the stove and get out to the farmers markets.

I hear you’re thinking remodel again???

HelenAdams
    Participant

Yes I am fortunate in that I can get most veg for 25 to 50 cents a pound. And they are generally very fresh and organic. (I do not insist on organic, but it is nice)
    You take whet they are selling but I am pretty fond of most veg.

They are still building the whole foods (three years I think) will be very upscale shopping /condo building.

I still haven’t bought any fancy beans that I was impressed with but maybe WF. I did not like the red lentils. Have not actually eaten Quioa yet either although I do have some.

Weather is getting pretty spiffy here too. Have fun.

Suzanne
    Participant

Trying out new beans — and lentils — has not been a road filled with great discoveries for me, either. Out of 16 different types of new bean I tried in the last year, mostly posh, a few not, only 5 types were keepers. I didn’t think I’d strike out on so many, but some of the duds tasted like they’d be good with some kind of pork, but were too uninteresting without it for this pescaterian. I’m glad to have the new options, but also glad this exploration is now in the rear view mirror.

Quinoa tastes bland to me and begs for decisive flavoring. I’ve liked it in Peruvian Quinoa Soup and also in this sort of thing recently:
    http://www.potsandpans.com/recipes/cuisine/japanese/quinoa-with-snow-peas-sesame-and-ginger/
    As I recall the Jill Nussinow recipe I have similar to this uses green beans instead of snow peas and also has tamari/soy sauce and raw scallion, and is pressure cooked for 5 minutes.

That’s really a good deal you are getting for any veg, let alone organic veg. I am green with envy.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Could not even see your post for a few days but okay now obviously.
    This AM I cooked something called Quinoa Quickies Mild Indian Curry Quinoa which I had in the cupboard and it is pretty tasty. And there are some noticeable veg in there.
    I looked it up and saw it is 3-4 times what I paid for it normally :) $6 for 1/3 lb (2 cups cooked)of Quinoa is like $18 a lb. and a tad outside my budget. I paid $1.75 and saw it was now 75 cents where I bought it so might snap up a couple more.
    Probably I will get brave and just season some or not.

I kind of like its texture better than rice in this small sample and was thinking fried so thanks for the recipe

Suzanne
    Participant

Hi, Helen.

I googled your quinoa mix and saw it is sold at Whole Foods. So I checked my local WF today, but no luck. I wanted to see the ingredients and maybe buy one or try improvising it.

True, in small amounts quinoa can be pricey. But Costco sells bags of organic quinoa — 4 lbs each — for a good price. I think I paid somewhere between $8 and $14 a bag. I don’t think the organic part matters much, as I have read the plant has few natural pests.

I’ve PCed it on high for 5 minutes without it going to mush. Al dente, it causes me problems, but your innards may be made of sterner stuff. Will follow your quinoa explorations with interest.
    :-)

Suzanne
    Participant

Hey Helen, here’s the Asian quinoa recipe I tried and liked. Couldn’t find it before. I left out the broccoli because I’m not crazy about it in leftovers, and it was fine without it. The recipe is waaay down at the bottom of the link.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifestyle/6062361-181/instant-pot-takes-the-pressure?artslide=0

And since you mentioned frying quinoa, this might add to your ideas. (Haven’t tried it, but I usually like Weil’s recipes.)

https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/recipes/quinoa-fried-rice/

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.