home Forums Recipe Conversions Any concerns with pressure cooking frozen meat?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Laura Pazzaglia 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Nymeria
    Participant

I was taught to be careful when cooking chicken. So when I used a crock pot, I always used thawed and set on high for food safety (crock pots low setting is about 190 degrees). It would be unheard of to use the crock for frozen chicken (but today many people do it and recipes are out there). Does anyone have thoughts about starting out w/raw frozen chicken for ANY recipe being prepared in a PC? Temps accelerate faster and higher, so is there a food safety concern?

tweakz
    Participant

Wings shouldn’t be too risky as they thaw fast. You want to avoid prolonged time in the temperature danger zone of ~45 – 140F. You can quickly and safely thaw them in hot water as long as you don’t leave them past the time it takes to thaw.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Frozen food means the pressure cooker will take longer to reach pressure, because the cooker will not reach pressure until the contents are boiling . This can take 15-30 minutes (depending on how full the cooker is, and how much frozen stuff there is) at which time the temperatures are above the “unsafe zone” so there is no concern with pressure cooking frozen meat.

However, frozen meat has an effect on cooking time. Steamed or braised meats (which are partially steamed) need much more time for the heat to penetrate to the middle. I’ve tried steaming and braising frozen meats before but I get an over-cooked outside and raw inside.

My recommendation for pressure cooking frozen meats is to only “boil” them under pressure and then double the recommended cooking time. That’s because if the meat is immersed in the cooking liquid the heat will reach the center much more quickly.

What has everyone here tried with frozen meats in the pressure cooker, and did it work out?

Ciao,

L

Cher-me
    Participant

I bought a pressure cooker about a month ago, but used it for the 2nd time yesterday to cook a frozen pork roast. It turned out perfectly although I had to cook it longer than if it had been thawed. After 30 minutes or so, I checked with a meat thermometer and cooked it an additional 10 min. I used your milk recipe and it was great!!! Had I read the above prior, I would not have risked it but not knowing gave me the courage to do it and I’m glad I did. I love the pressure cooker now and will use it lots more since I’m no longer afraid of it!

Cher-me
    Participant

Yes, I did a 2-1/2 lb. pork roast yesterday and it turned out fine! I used your milk recipe (good!) and checked the temp after 30 min. It needed a little more so I brought it back up and cooked 10 minutes more. My husband was very skeptical, especially since this is only my 2nd time using the pressure cooker, but now he’s a fan!! I had cooked half of this roast previously and it was so tough we cut it up and gave it to our dogs! Seems lately all pork comes out tough, but it sure didn’t in my pressure cooker. Had I read the above comments prior to doing this, I probably would not have done it, but since I was a “dummy” and didn’t know any better, it worked!

veeezeee
    Participant

It was awhile ago but I had a beef roast (probably chuck) that was partially frozen. (Must plan ahead better!) I had read somewhere that you could cook it in the PC. I added some extra time and it turned out great!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

OK, well I finally wrote an article about it. Some of the advice may not be exactly the same as I wrote above as I was able to tweak and refine pressure cooking frozen meat with practice…

How to Pressure Cook Frozen Meat

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.