home Forums Pressure Cookers T-Fal or Tefal Any T-Fal NutriCook owners in the group?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Barbara
    Participant

I just took delivery of a T-Fal NutriCook – haven’t tried it yet …… I’ve just been reading all the material that came with it. It seems like it’s a pressure cooker’s dream machine. I’m wondering if there are any other NutriCook owners who would share their experience(s) with this cooker. I’ve used a pressure cooker for over 50 years so am not a new user but my old one was an old Presto with the wobbly top. It served me well in spite of blowing up 4 times over the years (due to operator error of course), one time taking out a Daylight Ceiling …… luckily no human injuries :)

Thanks !
    Barbara

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Barbara, I don’t have one but it’s also called Acticook (depends which country you buy it in).

A few things to keep in mind as you get started…
    -The Nutricook operates at 12psi, not 15psi like your old presto, so time adjustments to non-standard pressure cookers will need to be made for some recipes and ingredients:

Pressure Cooker PSI FAQ: the stuff you didn’t think to ask about pressure

-Also, since it’s a non-venting cooker your new cooker will need much less heat than than your old presto so when it’s a pressure bring it down to low or low/med heat and it evaporates less liquid too!

So to summarize: a tad more time, less heat and less liquid.

It’s a very handsome cooker have a great time with it!

Ciao,

L

RandalOulton
    Participant

Hi Laura, I have 2 nutricooks, one purchased December 2012 and a second purchased July 2013. I love them and am completely dependent on them already, which is why I’m scared — for the second time in that short time period, an intelligent timer has just died on me despite all care and testing with new batteries etc.

Even though I’m bilingual, I stupidly didn’t check to think to check for reviews first in French (because it’s from France) and it turns out consumer sites in France are flooded with hundreds and hundreds of complaints about how fragile / unreliable the timer is. For instance here: https://www.google.com/search?q=nutricook+minuteur+site:www.apreslachat.com&num=100 There’s also a LOT of complaints about the timers always breaking on German sites in German, where of course all the Germans are offering engineering advice, lol…

People think it is caused by the steam coming from the pressure cooker and that the electronics just can’t handle the steam / moisture.

I have no idea what I’m going to do… when the one-year warranty expires then the timers are about 50 to 70 bucks a pop and twice a year for the rest of my life is going to make these pots too expensive to own for me! But I really don’t want to go back to an old-fashioned manual one, ugh.

Barbara
    Participant

RandalOulton …… I’m very sorry to learn about this problem and can see it could be a very expensive maintenance issue if the timers keep malfunctioning – I returned my NutriCook to the place of purchase once I discovered it was just not going to be the cooker for me being only one person to cook for. It looked like a lovely cooker but was definitely too big for me to use. I am now searching for a new smaller size …….. does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Barbara

RandalOulton
    Participant

Barbara, there is a smaller sized Nutricook available in France and Germany etc, a 6 L one I think it is … BUT until I have learned how SEB / T-Fal plans to address the long-standing defects in the design of the Nutricook timers… I’d do what you are doing, and go with suggestions for other makes! lol.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Randal,

This is not what you want to hear, but it does appear that the cooker can be used without the custom timer. It will require more attention on your part to determine when the cooker has reached pressure, and this can be done by looking at the pressure indicator on the lid. The indicator is in the circle between the timer and the selection handle.

Instead of relying on the timer to determine when the cooker has reached pressure, you can watch this indicator rise. Once the indicator has risen, you should adjust the heat as you have been doing, and punch in the pressure cooking time in a separate timer.

I know that this is not an ideal solution – especially since the built-in timer is so handy for letting you know when the cooker has reached pressure – but the replacement cost will be max $5 for a digital timer. : )

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Barbara, have you considered Kuhn Rikon? I was looking on amazon Canada and you can get the set for less than the price of the Nutricook:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00004R8ZH/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=390961&creativeASIN=B00004R8ZH&linkCode=as2&tag=hippressureco-20

I’m a big fan of sets because when you’re cooking for just one you can use the smaller pot, and whip out the larger one when you’re cooking for company.

Take a look at the Kuhn Rikon review:

Pressure Cooker Review: Kuhn Rikon Duromatic

Another option, is just a smaller WMF – it’s a little pricier but it’s really easy to use (it toots if the pressure is too high):
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00008XWYO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=390961&creativeASIN=B00008XWYO&linkCode=as2&tag=hippressureco-20

There is also a less expensive older model (I have not reviewed it so I don’t know if it toots, too).
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000UAOIVC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=390961&creativeASIN=B000UAOIVC&linkCode=as2&tag=hippressureco-20

Take a look at the WMF review here:

Pressure Cooker Review: WMF Perfect Plus

Ciao,

L

RandalOulton
    Participant

“”the replacement cost will be max $5 for a digital timer. : )”

Laura, was that a typo, $5 ? I’m seeing that the timer replacement cost is 30 to 40 Euros in Europe….. and about 30 pounds in the UK….

The WMF review was VERY interesting… hmmmmm… If T-Fal can’t sort out problems with the Nutricook, of which I have two, then I’ll definitely be pondering a WMF purchase – it definitely looks like you’d get more than 11 months worth of use out of it, eh?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Randal, I meant a non Acticook-specific digital timer replacement. On Italian amazon – I found a timer so cheap (€2.89) I’m thinking of getting three! My kitchen multi-timer is failing and I’m eyeing these because they’re small and have both a clip and magnet on the back:
    http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00CFFIOL0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=3370&creative=24114&creativeASIN=B00CFFIOL0&linkCode=as2&tag=cucinahip-21

Oh, I just looked – can’t believe I found the same ones on Canadian Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CNLVPDU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=390961&creativeASIN=B00CNLVPDU&linkCode=as2&tag=hippressureco-20

If you want to pay $1 more, you can get one to match your Acticook:

Ok, back to pressure cookers now… I’ve been using the WMF weekly now (because I rotate through the cookers) and still no complaints. Still works like a charm, no breaking or chipping handles and so easy to wash, too. The “toot” when it reaches over-pressure takes away most of the guess work. When I got the hang of it and started adjusting the heat correctly – I kind of missed the toot!

Ciao,

L

P.S. The mark-up on the Acticook timer is obscene it can’t cost them more than a few dollars to manufacture – maybe less, since they’re so prone to failure!

RandalOulton
    Participant

Hi Laura, you’ve got me eyeing the WMF pressure cookers now.. I like that they seem to be smart machines but with no electrics to easily fail….

RE the Nutricook timer, T-FAL customer service Canada is going to replace the timer for me for completely free. So I’ll be on my third timer in a year for the pot. I’m going to try the working theory that it’s steam condensation that is killing the timers, and whistle the timer off the pot right away from now on and see if that improves the lifespan on the timer. However, my pot is now exactly 1 year old from date of purchase as of today, so not sure if they will do free replacements in the future. I’ll cross my fingers that I’m not able to report anything on that to the group because I won’t have had any more issues, lol!

Thanks for all your help and advice Laura, you’re amazing! Might be asking for a WMF for Christmas!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.