home Forums Request Line "baked" fruit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    susan
    Participant

my family loves apples baked whole in the oven with just a few spices. I could find the cook time for fruit in my manual, but do you have any experience doing it?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Susan,

I have steamed halved apples and came across an interesting discovery. You need to have FRESH apples and all super-markets, including Whole Foods, do not tell you whether an apple has been stored in a controlled environment for up to a year to be sold off-season or not. Visually, they look almost the same.

This distinction is important because when I pressure cooked “local” apples that were out of season they turned into apple sauce. But when I pressure cooked fresh imported apples from the southern hemisphere they retained their shape.

How to tell? It’s not easy and even the store couldn’t tell me so I spent a good 30 minutes at the Whole Foods produce area to figure this out on my own.

If you look carefully, the stems of the apples that have been in storage have a dark brown shriveled stem, while fresh apples have a light brown stem sometimes you can even spot some green on it.

I think whole apples “baked” are a great idea, my mother used to make such a dish without even coring the apples so I’ll make it and add it to the website this fall. It will be a challenge to make them turn brown and caramelized as they do when they slide out of the oven.

In the meantime, look carefully at those apple stems!!

Ciao,

L

susan
    Participant

Excellent info. Thank you. I think I am going to end up with apple/pear sauce, which isn’t the worst thing in the world. I don’t core anything, either.

swtgran
    Participant

Susan, I think the type of the apple you use also has much to do with how an apple will tolerate being pressure “baked”. You might try using a cooking apple such as Jonagold, golden delicious, crispin, or honey crisp.

I just finished canning 15 qts. of pie filling, with Jonagolds, and they stood up beautifully to cooking.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.