home Forums Recipe Conversions baking Cakes Under Pressure

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gracesong
    Participant

I just found this recipe for baking a cake in the Primada pressure cooker.

http://hippoandyabbie.blogspot.com/2008/04/lovely-pressure-cooker-cake.html

Apparently, it bakes under pressure without water and comes out quite well. Because I’d always thought this wasn’t possible, I looked up the online recipe booklet they had posted.

http://www.iplushome.com/iplushome/media/wysiwyg/iplushome/document/receipes/快速智能煲食譜.pdf

If you’re baking using this method, you’d obviously have to reduce the liquid in the batter because it’d be an air-tight environment. Therefore, how would you convert the rest of the recipe?

The recipe is near the end of the booklet.

Thanks.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

You found a very interesting pressure cooker manual! It includes a recipe for baked winkles and fungus with sugar though I’m a little concerned about Mike, he’s in a steamed custard and sprinkled with lavender!

All kidding aside, I see that that manual could use the help of a really good editor and professional translator!

The last recipe is for a chocolate cake and they say to butter the cooker insert and hit the “rice” button. That is the key – many multi-cookers, even those that have a pressure cooker function – have a rice program that does not cook with pressure. So, basically, you are just slowly baking the cake – no liquid or steam are needed to reach pressure.

If you have one of these cookers- go ahead and bake a cake directly in the cooker.

HOWEVER, if you do not have one of these cookers, I discourage you from using a stove top or electric multi-cooker with a rice setting that uses pressure. Running a pressure cooker without water, will heat-up the base to temperatures that can damage the gasket and safety mechanisms in the lid of the cooker.

I’ll let you in on a little secret: you can steam any cake recipe. Just double the baking powder (if any) and halve the whole recipe. Then, pressure cook it bain marie as in this recipe:

Amazing Caramelized Apple Crumb Cake – Lesson 8 – Bain Marie or Water Bath

A small cake can take about 20 to 25 minutes, a bunt-cake in an aluminum funnel about 15 to 20 minutes, small cakes in ramekins about 5-8 minutes all with Natural release.

Have fun!

Ciao,

L

Snoop
    Participant

Just love that hint at the end, Laura. I can’t get carrot cake out of my head at the moment but can’t use the oven. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.