home Forums Recipe Swap RECIPE: BBQ Beans and Cabbage vegan style

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tommy
    Participant

This recipe was inspired by your BBQ Pork Ribs with Spinach-Bean Salad.
    I try to eat vegan, but cooked the ribs for family members (yes I ate a rib, had to know how it turned out :) and thought the beans and spinach were really good so I decided to try a vegan friendly version.
    One this particular day I am committed to not going outside so that means using what is on hand otherwise I may have made this recipe a little different. I had no intention of using greens this was going to be just BBQ beans however I had half a cabbage crying out to be cooked so in it went. Would have used pintos but did not have any, oh well.
    Just use your favorite rub and BBQ sauce, the rub I used has some heat to it and I really liked the ratio of sweat and heat.

1-1/2 cups cranberry beans soaked overnight.
    1 shallot
    5 cloves garlic finely chopped
    1 tablespoon Garlic Olive Oil
    1/2 cabbage chopped to your preferred size
    1 tablespoon BBQ rub
    4 or 5 drops liquid smoke
    1 cup vegetable stock.
    3 tablespoons Jack Daniels BBQ sauce (Kansas style BBQ sauce)
    1 tablespoon Bac’Uns vegetarian bits

Sauté onion 3 or four minutes then add 4 cloves garlic chopped fine and BBQ rub and sauté a few more minutes.
    De-glaze your pot and add 1 cup vegetable stock and BBQ sauce, if your cooker requires more than 1 cup liquid to get up to pressure use minimum required by your cooker. (If not using cabbage use 1-1/4 cups stock, cabbage has a lot of water in it)

Put the lid on and bring cooker to pressure, for 7 minutes, then take off of the heat bring down the pressure naturally.

Now open the cooker and add the cabbage and Bac-Uns bits, close lid, bring up to pressure and cook another 5 minutes. Again bring down pressure naturally. Once your cooker is de-pressurized add 1 finely chopped clove of garlic.

Serve with cornbread and you have a meal.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Tommy, this sounds great. I love it! You could probably do the second phase in just 1 minute – cabbage wilts very easily.

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us!

Ciao,

L

Greg
    Participant

Tommy this looks great.

As a vegan, you probably want to know exactly what you are eating, so you may want to make your own rubs and sauces.
    Meathead (sorry!) over at Amazing Ribs has quite a few to experiment with
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/index.html

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.