home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot beans + rice – one session

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wlexxx
    Participant

so
    is it possible to do both beans AND rice in the same session?

what is the easiest way to do that?

i think i read somewhere that soaking the beans makes their cooking times more equal BUT is there a way to do it without soaking?

[thinking of getting an instant pot, but not being able to cook beans and rice together annoys me
    any way to do it, would be welcome!!]

thanks
    wle

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Well, I hate to tell you but what you are asking for (cooking dry beans and rice perfectly in one go) is not really possible.

Pressure cooking un-soaked beans can take up to 30 minutes, pressure cooking soaked beans can take 8-20 minutes. While, pressure cooking white rice takes 3 minutes, and brown rice 20 minutes – all with natural release. You can’t just add both at the same time and expect to have anything other than crunchy beans or mushy rice.

No cooking appliance can do what you are asking unless you’re using canned beans which just need to be re-heated – and I don’t recommend using them, if you’re going to get a pressure cooker anyway!

HOWEVER, There are a few tricks you can use to minimize the cook and clean-up time and get a delicious dinner.

You can quick-soak the beans (which cook just as fast as soaked):

How to Quick-soak Beans in the Pressure Cooker

Quick-soaking Beans in the Pressure Cooker

You can use special ingredients to delay the cooking time of soaked beans to match the cooking time of brown rice:

Pressure Cooker Chickpea Curry with Brown Rice Recipe

Chickpea Curry Rice Bowl – One Pot Meal

You can soak quick-cooking beans/lentils to match the cooking time of white rice:

Lentil Risotto Pressure Cooker Recipe

Lentil Risotto – peasant cooking under pressure

Or you can use the phase-in method, which I describe in detail in my book which has a basic recipe with a couple of variations (Congri-Black Beans & Rice, Red Bean Congri and New Orleans Red Beans & Rice). The phase-in technique is described, here:

Pressure Cooking Lessons: Making a one-pot meal

How to make a pressure cooker Pot Roast One Pot

Have fun with your Instant Pot!!

Ciao,

L

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.