home Forums Recipe Conversions Beef roast came out tough

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Laura Pazzaglia 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Slowry1999
    Participant

So I am new to this instant pot thing and pressure cooking. I cooked a 2.5 lb. roast in 1.5 cups of beef stock for 49 minutes and did a 10 minute keep warm and move steam release handle to venting.

The internal temperature of the meat was 175. It had good flavor it was just dry and when I cut into the roast there was a dark area. The meat looked weird.

Did I cook it took long? Or do the release wrong.

The cut of meat was a bottom round rump roast.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks,
    Instant pot newbie

Greg
    Participant

My bet would be on the pressure release. I would vote for full natural release in this situation.
    Have a look at this topic:

Wrong Pressure Release Can Ruin Meat – here’s why & a cheat

But also look at the dissenting voice form Janet in the comments. It disagrees with my experience but she backs it up with evidence, so I think it is an area that needs more exploration.

The change in colour DOES point to slight undercooking though so that may be a factor too.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I would take that dissenting opinion with a grain of salt.

Some people like to come in hot making up their own technical-sounding terminology until they are called out on it. And, honestly, I have to doubt results of experiments performed during a dinner party.

Trying to keep an open mind but, so far, I’m having a hard time buying it.

I can be persuaded with facts, not posturing.

Ciao,

L

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.