home Forums Recipe Swap RECIPE: Beef Stifado Recipe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    4Eyes
    Participant

My favourite Greek dish is Beef Stifado, it really is a dish that is greater than the sum of its parts.

I couldn’t find any pressure cooker recipes that worked, so I came up my own based on modified beef stew recipes.

For reference, I used my Breville/Sage Fast Slow Pro, but it should be compatible with any other electric pressure cooker.

Beef Stifado Recipe
    serves: 2 as a stew, 4 if served with potatoes or orzo

Ingredients
    1/2 Tbsp (8ml) ground cinnamon
    1 Tbsp (15ml) ground cumin
    A Few good grates of nutmeg
    1 lb (450g) casserole beef (1 to 1.5 inch cubes – do not try lean beef, it will be too tough)
    3 cinnamon sticks (about 2 inches long)
    12 black pepper corns
    5 whole cloves
    1 lb (450g) small pickling size onions, peeled and left whole (or normal onions chopped into 1 to 2
    inch wedges)
    4 Tbsp (60ml) olive oil
    1 tsp (5ml) garlic granules (or 4 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed)
    4 Tbsp (60ml) red wine
    2 Tbsp (30ml) red wine vinegar
    1 tin chopped tomatoes (14.5oz or 400g) drained
    2 bay leaves
    1 Tbsp tomato paste/puree (heaped)
    1 stem of rosemary
    salt and pepper (to taste – at least 1 ‘flat’ tsp salt)

Instructions
    1. Put the ground cumin, ground cinnamon and grated nutmeg into a small bowl and add enough water to make a thick paste and leave to soak (this is to make sure it doesn’t burn when frying it).
    2. Using ‘sear mode’ (or saute if not using the Breville/Sage Fast Slow Pro) heat the olive oil and saute the meat until browned (one side only will do for flavour).
    3. Remove the beef and reserve.
    4. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and peppercorns and fry until fragrant.
    5. Add the onion and fry until browned (don’t stir too much that you break up the whole onions), 5 to 10mins.
    6. Add the garlic, (if using instead of garlic granules), and stir for a few minutes.
    7. Add the spice paste and cook until you can smell the fragrance of the spices.
    8. Return the beef to the pressure cooker and stir gently until it is well coated.Serve by itself in a bowl, or with a side of new potatoes or orzo pasta
    9. Add the red wine and vinegar, and cook for a couple of minutes.
    10. Add tomatoes, tomato paste/puree, rosemary, bay leaves, garlic granules (if using) and salt and pepper.
    11. *Optional* All the ingredients should be just covered by liquid, if not add water until they are (see note on ‘liquid’ below)
    12. Using manual mode, cook for 20mins at full pressure – I used release mode ‘auto-pulse’ on my Breville, use whatever you would for a normal beef stew.
    13. When pressure has been released, open and ‘reduce’ until the sauce is thick.
    14. Serve by itself in a bowl, or with a side of new potatoes or orzo pasta

NB. Liquid
    The onions release a lot of extra liquid, and if not careful you will need to do a lot of reducing after releasing pressure. After a lot of testing, I found that I could safely go with adding no extra liquid. It is up to you whether you prefer the safer option of adding extra liquid and reducing later.

Greg
    Participant

Thank you for posting this. It looks delicious. But as it is coming in to Summer here, I will probably wait 6 months or so before trying it.

One thing…
    It looks like you have step 8 a little mangled. You are serving the meat before it is cooked. I suspect the bit about serving should not be there.

4Eyes
    Participant

It won’t let me edit it :(

I posted it a couple of days ago, and was editing when it got lost into ‘moderation’ – I think the edit option may have timed out.

Laura, if you can delete it, I will re-post

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Colin, re-post it here and I will copy and paste it in your original post. ; )

Ciao,

L

4Eyes
    Participant

thanks – here we go:

My favourite Greek dish is Beef Stifado, it really is a dish that is greater than the sum of its parts.

I couldn’t find any pressure cooker recipes that worked, so I came up my own based on modified beef stew recipes.

For reference, I used my Breville/Sage Fast Slow Pro, but it should be compatible with any other electric pressure cooker.

Beef Stifado Recipe
    serves: 2 as a stew, 4 if served with potatoes or orzo

Ingredients

1/2 Tbsp (8ml) ground cinnamon
    1 Tbsp (15ml) ground cumin
    A Few good grates of nutmeg
    1 lb (450g) casserole beef (1 to 1.5 inch cubes – do not try lean beef, it will be too tough)
    3 cinnamon sticks (about 2 inches long)
    12 black pepper corns 5 whole cloves
    1 lb (450g) small pickling size onions, peeled and left whole (or normal onions chopped into 1 to 2 inch wedges)
    4 Tbsp (60ml) olive oil
    1 tsp (5ml) garlic granules (or 4 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed)
    4 Tbsp (60ml) red wine
    2 Tbsp (30ml) red wine vinegar
    1 tin chopped tomatoes (14.5oz or 400g) drained
    2 bay leaves
    1 Tbsp tomato paste/puree (heaped)
    1 stem of rosemary
    salt and pepper (to taste – at least 1 ‘flat’ tsp salt)

Instructions

1. Put the ground cumin, ground cinnamon and grated nutmeg into a small bowl and add enough water to make a thick paste and leave to soak (this is to make sure it doesn’t burn when frying it).

2. Using ‘sear mode’ (or saute if not using the Breville/Sage Fast Slow Pro) heat the olive oil and saute the meat until browned (one side only will do for flavour).

3. Remove the beef and reserve.

4. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and peppercorns and fry until fragrant.

5. Add the onion and fry until browned (don’t stir too much that you break up the whole onions), 5 to 10mins.

6. Add the garlic, (if using instead of garlic granules), and stir for a few minutes.

7. Add the spice paste and cook until you can smell the fragrance of the spices.

8. Return the beef to the pressure cooker and stir gently until it is well coated.

9. Add the red wine and vinegar, and cook for a couple of minutes.

10. Add tomatoes, tomato paste/puree, rosemary, bay leaves, garlic granules (if using) and salt and pepper.

11. *Optional* All the ingredients should be just covered by liquid, if not add water until they are (see note on ‘liquid’ below)

12. Using manual mode, cook for 20mins at full pressure – I used release mode ‘auto-pulse’ on my Breville, use whatever you would for a normal beef stew.

13. When pressure has been released, open and ‘reduce’ until the sauce is thick.

14. Serve by itself in a bowl, or with a side of new potatoes or orzo pasta

NB. Liquid
    The onions release a lot of extra liquid, and if not careful you will need to do a lot of reducing after releasing pressure. After a lot of testing, I found that I could safely go with adding no extra liquid. It is up to you whether you prefer the safer option of adding extra liquid and reducing later.

4Eyes
    Participant

Hi Laura, I posted it again.. probably ended up in spam again

:(

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.