home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat Ceramic vs glass bowls?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gloria
    Participant

Hi, all.
    I make oatmeal in my Instant-pot using the pot-in-pot method. [Life-changing! Thanks, Laura!] I often prep the oatmeal in Pyrex bowls for the week (all the dry ingredients – oats, dried fruit, seeds, nuts, salt, etc) so that on a busy morning all I need to do is add the butter and water (or almond milk) & it cooks while I get ready. Occasionally, on weekends, I’ll make it in a porcelain bowl and maybe it’s in my head, but I think it comes out even better in the porcelain bowl. I know glass and porcelain/ceramic heat up differently, but they both seem to cook fine using the same times. I just can’t articulate how the two are different – the porcelain seems creamier/lighter. Is it more because the Pyrex is thicker than the porcelain? Or is it about the shape of the bowls (the Pyrex bowls are more cylindrical/flat while the porcelain ones are tapered)? Would thinner glass bowls or tapered ones with lids work better then the Pyrex ones? Or should I try to find porcelain/ceramic bowls with lids? (Lids are must for the prep-ahead.) Or should I adjust the time for the Pyrex bowls? Thoughts?

Or is just in my head? :)

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Gloria, well I think it’s a little bit in your head and a little bit the shape of the container. I mean, on the weekend everything tastes better! Right?!? ; )

I think that with the tapered bowl, there is a larger surface area of the oats exposed to the pressure steam which would mean there are more oats that cooked at higher temperatures (vs. the ones in contact with the bowl, below).

It sounds like you have a great system for a healthy breakfast. You can absolutely use lids, but only for storage because placing a lid on your oatmeal bowl during pressure cooking will considerably slow down the cooking. Using my method (yaay, glad you like it) the oats are getting cooked indirectly heat transfer of the steam to the bowl and then more directly from the steam itself. So don’t take the latter out of the equation.

Come back to keep us updated on your oatmeal adventures!

Ciao,

L

Gloria
    Participant

Hi, Laura.
    Thanks for the reply (and sorry for the delay in *my* reply). Haha! Yes, weekend food is often better. ;) And to clarify, yes, the lids are only for prep/storage; I don’t use the lids for cooking. :) The increased surface area exposure to the steam makes sense. (I might do a little testing with Mason jars & see how that goes.)

Aside: I’m a physics teacher, and I am now intrigued by how different materials (metal vs glass vs porcelain) and containers affect the pressure cooking. I’ll be looking into it and maybe doing some experiments. :)

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

OK, Gloria! I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Make sure to look-up the “thermal conductivity” of different materials on the Engineering Toolbox website – that was my main source for the Pressure Cooking School segment on heat transfer.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

Pressure Cooker Heat-safe Containers: Materials & Shapes

Ciao!

L

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.