home Forums Recipe Conversions Chatzlilim in a Pressure Cooker?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RSB
    Participant

Hello,
    I am hoping you can help convert this recipe for use in a pressure cooker.

My only modification to the posted link is that I also add a medium onion thinly sliced to the dish. This dish not only takes a long time to prepare (and that’s if you don’t pre-salt the eggplant), but it entails a considerable amount of oil for frying. If you could help me convert the recipe so it could be made more healthily and faster in a pressure cooker I would be beyond grateful. Thanks so much!
    RSB

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Lovely recipe, I have never heard of it before – it looks like a Jewish Caponata with fewer veggies! Try this.. It should give you similar flavor with much less frying.

Tomato Chatzilin – pressurecookerized!
    Recipe Type: pressure cooker
    Author: hip pressure cooking conversion
    Prep time:
    Cook time:
    Total time:
    Serves: 8
    Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 medium eggplants, roughly chopped
    • ½ cup water
    • 4 tablespoons bullion (vegetable or chicken)
    • 2 (or more) garlic cloves, finely chopped
    • 3 fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped (or on 14. Oz can of chopped)
    • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
    • 1 1/2 tsp vinegar
    • pinch of thyme
    • pinch of oregano
    Instructions
    1. To the pre-heated pressure cooker, add the olive oil and saute the onion until translucent.
    2. Scoot the onion aside in the cooker add just enough eggplant cubes to cover the base.
    3. Saute stirring infrequently until one side of the cubes is well-browned. Add the rest of the eggplant, bullion and water.
    4. Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Turn the heat up to high and when the cooker reaches pressure, lower to the heat to the minimum required by the cooker to maintain pressure. Cook for 3 minutes at high pressure.
    5. When time is up, open the cooker by releasing the pressure.
    6. Remove the lid and mix-in the garlic, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and thyme. Simmer everything together in the un-covered cooker for several minutes.
    7. Taste for seasoning and serve.

Enjoy!

L

RSB
    Participant

Thank you Laura! I can’t wait to try this. A question I have is that when I make the dish, I usually saute a medium sized onion until translucent as I love the flavor and texture it adds to the dish. At what point would you add the onion and does it change the amount of oil, water, or cooking time? Thanks again!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I was so focused in converting the recipe I forgot to add your modification! I have updated the recipe to include the onion at the very beginning.

Ciao,

L

RSB
    Participant

Awesome! I will make this tonight and post the results. Thanks again!!

RSB
    Participant

Laura,
    Thanks so much for your help! The dish turned out really well. The texture of the eggplant was a little different as it wasn’t fried but it was very tender. In the interest of time, after adding the tomatoes and other ingredients, I brought it back up to pressure for a few minutes as we were hungry and impatient. I’m not sure if this was a detriment to the cooking process or not but overall this was very flavorful, faster, less messy, and far healthier than preparation through frying. Thanks again!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Oops, you image didn’t make it. Just re-size it and try again or e-mail it to me at [email protected] and I’ll add it to your post.

The uncovered simmering was to reduce the liquids a bit but if you’re happy with the results you got, that is the most important part!

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ok, I was able to get the photo on there. Looks great – as you perfect it to your liking be sure to come back and let us know what changes you made.

Ciao,

L

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.