home Forums Recipe Conversions Chicken Saute with Balsamic Dried Plum Sauce

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  alclubb 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

alclubb
    Participant

I would like to make the following recipe, but I would use bone-in drumsticks instead. I also know that I can’t reduce the sauce, but that’s OK, I would just like the flavor and I can reduce it after I release the pressure in the PC. What cooking time would I use and how much liquid?

Chicken Sauté with Balsamic-Dried Plum Sauce
    2 tablespoons olive oil 
    4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds) 
    Salt and pepper 
    1/2 cup finely chopped shallots 
    2 cloves garlic, minced 
    1 cup chicken broth 
    1/2 cup (about 3 ounces) coarsely chopped dried plums 
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar 
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed

Directions
    In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Season chicken with salt and pepper, as desired. Place chicken in skillet; cook 10 minutes or until browned and centers are no longer pink, turning once. Transfer to serving platter; keep warm. 

Add shallots and garlic to same skillet; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in broth, dried plums, vinegar, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat slightly; cook until sauce is reduced by half, about 1 cup. Spoon over chicken.

Greg
    Participant

Welcome alclubb,
    Cooking time under pressure will be dictated by the “critical” ingredient. In this case, chicken drumsticks; so 8-10 minutes, High pressure, Natural release (From the cooking times chart).

Liquid looks fine. Between the stock and the vinegar, you will be in the ballpark for most pressure cookers given that the drumsticks will contribute some liquid.

Soften the shallots and extra garlic (Don’t mince it – just bash it) in oil, then brown the drumsticks (no need to cook through). Add everything else and pressure cook. Remove the legs to a warm place and reduce the sauce to your desired consistency.

Having said all that, I don’t really see an improvement over the original recipe. Except you are using drumsticks instead of breast which is less prone to drying out.
    It looks a really nice recipe. I would probably try it with boneless chicken thighs and otherwise follow the original. And I wouldn’t use my GOOD balsamic. Just the cheap stuff.

There is an old saying along the lines of: “When the only tool you have is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.” Same thing goes for pressure cookers.

alclubb
    Participant

Thank you! The recipe looked like it should work in the PC, but I am not experienced enough to feel comfortable converting a recipe myself yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.