home Forums Recipe Conversions Chinese pressure cooker 40kpa

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Greg 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Kate
    Participant

Hi Laura, I am living in China and have just bought a midea electric pressure cooker. However after getting it home I’ve discovered the max pressure is only 40kpa which I think corresponds to about 6 psi. Could you tell me whether there is a simple way to adjust recipe times? (I am also at 6000ft which I understand means I need to add 25% to cooking times). Thanks.

Greg
    Participant

Yes 40 kPa is just under 6 PSI
    What you need to understand is that a pressure cooker rating is only part of the scenario.
    At sea level, atmospheric pressure is about 15 PSI. When you use a 15 PSI pressure cooker at sea level, you are really cooking at 15 + 15 = 30 PSI.

When you are at 6,000 ft, atmospheric pressure is about 12 PSI. So when you use your 6 psi pressure cooker, you are actually cooking at 12 + 6 = 18 PSI. This is only just above normal open pot cooking at sea level.

So your best bet is take the open pot cooking times and subtract about 20% then experiment from there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.