home Forums Pressure Cookers choice of fagor or kuhn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    joy613
    Participant

After researching I have decided get a stove top type of PC. The brands I keep coming back to is fagor and kuhn I know I will probably use it a couple of times a week. I can’t make up my mind between these 2
    http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Futuro-5-Piece-Pressure-Cooker-Set/dp/B0018N0W3I/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1384525870&tag=vi&sr=1-14&keywords=fagor+duo
    http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Combi-5-Piece-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00023D9S0/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1384525870&sr=1-2&tag=vi&keywords=fagor+duo
    http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-6-Piece-Duromatic-Pressure/dp/B00004R8ZH/ref=sr_1_18?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1384527423&tag=vi&sr=1-18&keywords=pressure+cooker
    I like the idea of being able to use it as a regular pot or a PC also having the choice of sizes at hand. What is the expert opinions on the ones I am looking at?

I have an electric stove with the elements since we do a lot of cooking right now with cast iron. I am looking for something pretty foolproof for my son and I to be able to use.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Joy, those are three!

Contrary to the opinion of a popular cooking show, I’m not a big fan of the Duo- I think that It’s too tricky to lock the lid. So let’s get that one out of the way.

The Futuro five-piece set you chose is very, very nice. One thing you can’t see from the photo and is not well known is that the 6L base is a little bit different. If you look carefully at the photo, you’ll see a notch in the middle. That notch holds up the steamer basket without needing a trivet! It’s really nice if you want to make a one pot meal and steam something above the rest of the ingredients. The lid locks automatically (unlike the duo) but the drawback is that it can be a little tricky to tell when it comes to pressure (details in my review, here: https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-review-fagor-futuro-very-good/

The KuhnRikon set is simplicity itself. The pressure cooker has the least number or working parts – yet it does the same things that every other cooker does! It is very easy to use and easy to tell when the cooker has reached pressure (the top pin rises, that’s it). The quality of materials is unbeatable. It is the only cooker I’ve reviewed that has an all-metal valve and the heft is quite noticeable. (see my review, here:

I hope this helps you narrow down your choices. I invite anyone with either of these cookers to comment and let Joy know what you like and don’t like about them!

Ciao,

L

joy613
    Participant

I hope to be able to get one in the next couple of weeks so any and all advice is welcomed. This will probably be considered my major purchase for my kitchen this year.

Anonymous
    Participant

Can’t go wrong with the Fagor – I own one. If you have a dishwasher, check your new pressure cooker is dishwasher safe, unless you don’t mind chancing it.

Once the lid is locked onto the Fagor properly and the dial has been set to 1 or 2 (low pressure 1 or high pressure 2), the cooker will be up to pressure when steam vents out of the dial. The Fagor is a venting pressure cooker.

The Kuhn Rikon has many positive reviews and it’s a non-venting pressure cooker i.e. it does not vent a wisp of steam when pressure cooking.

Terry94705
    Participant

I’m new to PC, and bought a Fagor duo 8 qt 2 weeks ago. I’m pleased with results so far, but I agree with Laura that it can be hard to tell if you have placed and locked the lid properly. Unfortunately you find out when it starts steaming and drizzling from around the not-really-sealed rim of the pot. At that point you have to turn off the heat and start over.

I love this site– and especially your experimental approach to PC cooking!

Jaimie
    Participant

Sorry to throw in another suggestion, but I just purchased the Fissler Vitaquick large set and it is amazing. I had a Fagor for 15 years and it was wonderful and reliable, but this Fissler is so quiet and locks so smoothly I can hardly believe the difference. I am so happy I bought the set. I sometimes use both size pans for one meal and let me tell you, once you have one of these new-fangled pressure cookers, you’ll use it every day like we do!

joy613
    Participant

I do like the features on the Fagor.

Terry I had just discovered the Fissler on youtube this past week. It has a lot of nice features. Funny about every time I am ready to hit the buy button I find another one to check out.

I won’t be the only one using it my son has taken up cooking as a hobby and I am hoping he will learn to use the PC. The more he cooks the less I have to.

joy613
    Participant

My son liked what he saw about the Fagor so we got Futuro. I guess I won’t be getting much of a chance to use it since he has already started testing it so he knows the settings on the stove to use. I can’t believe how much they have changed, I put my old one away so I will have that on hand if need be.

Thank you all for helping me decide.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.