home Forums Request Line Christmas Puddings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    victoria
    Participant

Can anyone tell me the pressure cooking times for a Christmas Pudding? It usually takes 6 hours steaming, I have read that this can be reduced to 2 in a pressure cooker.

Looks like Laura posted a Christmas pudding recipe that takes only 25 minutes for minis and one hour for a large pudding http://www.taste.com.au/kitchen/articles/save+time+by+pressure+cooking+your+christmas+pud+,384.

I’ve never had a Christmas pudding. Do you have a favorite recipe?

victoria
    Participant

HI! am having a bit of a IT problem sending the exact link, but this is the site I used. I have used this recipe many times and it is really good. ………The Ultimate Rich Christmas Pudding recipe / allaboutyou.com

It looks fantastic all except the suet. Not a common ingredient here. Do you ever use a substitute?

victoria
    Participant

I haven’t tried anything else, it’s possible to get vegetarian suet as well here…..the brand name for both kinds is Atora.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thanks for linking back to my old article Barbara!

I looked at the recipe (yum!) I would pressure cook it for an hour and then not only open with natural release but wait a good half-hour to 45 minutes before opening the cooker.

The extra waiting is to keep the pudding moist – if you were to open it right away all of the moisture would quickly evaporate and leave the pudding rubbery and not pudding-y.

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe you use!

Ciao,

L

MKG
    Participant

This is my favorite steamed pudding recipe. I’m looking forward to trying it in my pressure cooker.

Persimmon Pudding

AP flour 1 1/2 c
    brown sugar 1 1/2 c
    cinnamon 1 1/2 t
    ginger 1 ½ t
    nutmeg 1/2 t
    cloves ¼ t
    Mix above dry ingredients together

chopped pitted prunes 1 1/2 c
    chopped nuts 1 c
    Add above ingredients to flour mixture

baking soda 1 T
    hot water 3 T
    persimmon pulp 1 1/2 c
    eggs 2
    Mix soda and water and blend in pulp and eggs. Mix well

brandy 1/3 c
    vanilla 2 t
    lemon juice 1 1/2 t
    butter, melted 3/4 c
    Mix above ingredients together and add to pulp mix.
    Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.

Place batter in a well buttered and floured 9 – 10 c pudding mold. Cover tightly, place on rack in deep pan, add 1 inch water. Cover and steam for two and a half hours until it’s firm when pressed in center. Keep an eye in the water in the pan. Let sit in mold for 15 minutes then turn out onto plate to cool. Spoon more brandy over top to moisten.
    Options- use half whole wheat flour.

victoria
    Participant

Taken the plunge……am typing this while keeping an eye on pressure cooker. Will let you know how it works out! I used a muslin cloth to line the basin [as I always do] and then put pleated foil over that. The total weight of the pudding mixture was just over 1.5kg.

Diamondgemma
    Participant

You should be able to replace suet with grated lard, or butter, or a mixture of the two.

Grate straight from the fridge.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.