home Forums Request Line Confit Duck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Molly Duka
    Participant

Hi Laura,

I was watching Masterchef Australia on TV the other night and the contestants had to recreate a dish that included confit duck which they cooked in an electric pressure cooker.

I would like to know if this can be done on a stove top pressure cooker, and it would be great if you could post a recipe for it. Please see below the link to the original recipe
    https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/masterchef/recipes/autumn-harvest

Greg
    Participant

I saw that too and I have to say my hackles went up.

Where is the steam coming from to generate the pressure?

Everything I have ever seen about using a pressure cooker as apressure fryer has said DON’T do it!!!!

If I was going to try (and I like living too much to do so) I would use a stove top from preference. The fact that they usually need far less water to generate and maintain pressure means that it is more likely to work without destroying pressure cooker and potentially your kitchen.

Greg
    Participant

I had a quick Squizz around the Internet.
    Sous vide: ( my preference- less energy used and cooler kitchen) 75°C (170°F) for 12 hours seems to be the consensus. Though there were some considerably longer outliers. 36H @ 68°C anyone?

Oven:
    160°C for 2.5 hours. Oddly enough the recipe with this timing/temperature came from an earlier season of MasterChef Australia.

Yes I have checked. Using a sous vide @58° for 12 hours uses LESS energy than an oven @180°C for one hour. The pressure cooker uses less energy again. But as I said above confit duck is NOT a good idea in a pressure cooker. This is not to say you cannot get fall off the bone tender duck out of a pressure cooker. It is just not a good idea to cook it submerged in fat.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Molly, unfortunately, I can’t see the link from Italy. Can you copy & paste the text or send a direct link to the video?

Now you’ve both made me curious.

However, I don’t need to see it to tell you that whatever you can make in an electric pressure cooker you can easily make in a stovetop and -as Greg mentioned – with less liquid. That, and the cooking time would be the only difference.

All I can guess is there was enough liquid from vegetables and meat for the cooker to reach pressure before everything burned to a crisp. Or they edited out the addition of liquid due to time constraints.

Thanks,

L

Greg
    Participant

Just so I don’t run foul of any copyright issues, here are just the relevant steps:

3. Cut marylands and remove duck breast skin from whole duck and set aside until needed.

4. For the Duck Confit, place the maryland, thyme, garlic and duck fat in the pressure cooker. Cook on low pressure for 50 minutes.

5. Release pressure, remove the pot insert from the pressure cooker and place in the blast chiller for 30 minutes.

And the relevant ingredients:

2 duck marylands
    3 sprigs thyme
    ½ head garlic
    800g duck fat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.