home Forums Welcome to Pressure Cooking School! Confused about cooking times

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    parsoc48
    Participant

just a simple request about times for 5 lb pork roast: the cooking times table did not list meats by poundage, just cuts or inches. Am I reading it wrong? We’re doing the chicken program and cooking for 40 min. (Have already seared it)
    Thanks for any help

Greg
    Participant

That is because time to cook is dependent on the thickness of the cut. Not the weight. This is true of conventional cooking too, but is less critical there as the times are longer. Or you are watching and can pull it of the grill when it is done.

I cannot begin to guess how long your 5lb pork roast will take to cook because I do not know what shape it is.

Think about it. If you take two identical steaks, and pound one out until it is only 1/4″ thick, it will cook much faster than the one you left 1″ thick won’t it.

It has to do with the physics (in particular heat transfer) of cooking. Heat travels through a given type of item at the same speed. A thicker piece will take longer to get the middle to the same temperature than a thin piece will.

Just plop your roast down on the bench and use a ruler to measure how thick it is. It is quicker and easier than weighing it. Then use Laura’s chart to calculate the cooking time. And call yourself a physicist ;)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.