home Forums Pressure Cookers Kuhn Rikon Cooking times in recipes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Snoop
    Participant

So, after much humming, hahing and saving up, I’ve just ordered myself a Kuhn Rikon Hotel 5-litre PC (model 30330). But it occurs to me, do I need to adjust recipe times on this site because of the lower pressure ratings? Or am I just good to go?

Thanks for any advice, guys. And thanks, Laura. This is my go-to site for all things PC-related. I’ve got two BRA PCs and have used your book a lot with them, but really fancied a PC with a wider base.

Greg
    Participant

I have that model and it is great. The one downside is that because it is “frypan” style, you cannot do something like a corned beef or a whole chicken. The upside is that it is brilliant for browning as it is very easy to turn meat etc, and the waffled base works brilliantly as a “non-stick” surface.

As for cooking times, you should be fine to use the times as published here. I add about 10% myself, but that is more because I am at 1,000m altitude than because the pressure is low. Just make sure the 2nd bar is clear of the housing rather than just breaking through.

Oh and the other tricky bit is that because the PC is SO efficient, it can be difficult to get the pressure to stabilise. I have to have my gas burner almost off. I always make sure I stay in the kitchen when using it.

Incidentally, I also have the smaller 2.5l version with the same form factor, and the huge 12l Hotel model. That’s the one I use for corned beef, whole chickens etc.

Snoop
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, Greg. We’re at 500 m, so I’ll just try the timings as they are to start with. It’s arrived and I’m really pleased. A lot of money but a thing of beauty. It’s got the issue with the slightly offset side grips (they don’t quite line up) that lots of people on Amazon talk about (I bought from a different outlet), but they click so positively into place that I’m sure they’re OK. And what a sturdy gasket!

I don’t think I’ll buy the 2.5 l version, but will get another at some stage. I was pondering on the 8 l version. Big enough in your view for a whole chicken or not? I live in Spain – most chickens I can buy are 1.8 to 2.2 kg in weight. Some outlets sell pairs of 1 kg chickens.

Greg
    Participant

I think the 8l should be a fine addition. I have seen people use a6l for a whole chicken, though it is a bit of a squeeze, and I am pretty sure the 2/3 full rule was violated.

We are a family of two these days, and the 2.5 is our most used PC. If I was going to start again, I would probably get the 2.5l again and a 6l stockpot style for the second. If we were stilla family of 4, I would probably go for the 5l and an 8l

Snoop
    Participant

Thanks, Greg. There are just two of us too. But I tend to try to cook enough to reheat or to freeze for another day. So, I’ll add the 8 l to my list. And ponder on the 2.5 one and go looking for recipes to see if it is a sensible addition. Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.