home Forums Recipe Conversions Curried Whole Wheat Couscous

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BevInTX 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

BevInTX
    Participant

A long time ago, I found the following recipe on a package of whole wheat couscous. Given that I don’t have access to a stove at the present time, I’d like to cook it in my Fagor PC. The only reference that I could find about cooking couscous in a PC was with the much larger Israeli couscous.

Curried Whole Wheat Couscous
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1-1/2 cups water or broth
    1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
    2-3 tsp curry powder
    1 cup whole wheat couscous

1 In a covered saucepan on low heat, sauté onion and garlic in a little oil, or use water or broth for fat restricted diets.
    2 Add mushrooms, red bell pepper, peas and green onions and cook until nearly tender.
    3 Add water, salt and curry powder and bring to a boil. Add couscous, stir, reduce heat, cover and cook 5-8 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.

Makes 8 1/2-cup servings

Do you have any suggestions other than using a smashed, rather than minced, clove of garlic?

Thanks

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I don’t recommend pressure cooking it, it has a 5-8 minute cook time and it takes our pressure cooker 10 minutes to reach pressure.

Use the saute’ setting and follow package instructions. ; )

Ciao,

L

BevInTX
    Participant

Thanks for explaining your recommendation. I tried that before I posted my question, but at that time my Fagor 3-in-one would not heat on the Brown option. I tried it again this morning and the Brown option did work this time. This PC acts a little flaky sometimes and I’m thinking of replacing it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.