home Forums Request Line Cuts of meat to buy in Italy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne Bush Alotta
    Participant

Hi Laura. I am an American living in Italy. I would like to make pot roast and other types of beef dishes in my IP. I am having trouble buying something like a chuck roast or cuts to use for fajitas, Mongolian beef, etc. can you tell me how I would ask for those cuts of meat? As you know, beef is very lean here so I am afraid it might get too tough. Also, what cut of pork should I ask for?

Thanks, Suzanne

PS I made your tapioca and it was great. Had to order the tapioca from Amazon.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Suzanne, you’ll never find chuck or a brisket roast here because they butcher the animals differently in Italy from America.

American Beef Cuts
    american beef cuts

Italian Beef Cuts
    italian beef cuts
    http://www.franzi-franzi.it/public/wiki/doku.php?id=materie_prime:le_carni:le_carni_bovine:tagli

In fact, to test for my cookbook and take photos of American-Style cuts I had to teach my butcher what I wanted, and then I had to wait until his shop had the saw (he shares it with other butchers) and new carcasses.

For quick pan-frying fajitas and Mongolian beef, you can just buy those pre-cut very thin beef slices. If they look to lean you could also substitute ground meat (I know it doesn’t look great) as all butchers often have a pork/beef mixtures available for making meatballs that are a little fattier. Also, vitello, vitellone (milking and young beef) are ALWAYS going to be lean.

For brisket I use the “capello di prete” or “spalla” and then I ask the butcher to tie it up for me into a cylinder so I can cook it as a roast.

Ciaooooo!

L

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.