home Forums Request Line Dried fruit compote

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Snoop
    Participant

I recently bought a pressure cooker set and have fallen in love with it, due in no small measure to your wonderful website. I’ve learned lots and have already tried a number of recipes. So first off, many thanks.

I’m keen to find a recipe for dried fruit compote (prunes, dried apple rings, peaches, apricots, that kind of mixture). I’ve had a look about on the web, but timings seem to vary. I’ve seen recipes that call for ten minutes, while even ordinary saucepan recipes also say ten minutes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure if this will make a difference – I presume not – but I want to use apple juice as my liquid and maybe add cinnamon. Possibly some lemon zest.

Thanks once again.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thanks for your kind words, and welcome!

I have a dried fruit compote recipe in my up-coming cookbook (coming Fall 2014) – but I wont’ make you wait that long to make yours. : )

I use 5 minutes at high pressure with 10-minute natural release. Dry or not, fruit tends to foam, so you always want to use a release method that will not allow that foam to shoot out of the pressure valve during pressure release – that means using Natural and Cold Water Quick release. A knob of butter or spoon of olive oil will also help a bit with the foam, as well. Lastly, do not fill the cooker more than halfway with fruit and cooking liquid.

You will be flabbergasted when you open the cooker and see plums plumped back to their original un-shriveled shape and raisins turn back into grapes. Really, I don’t know why pressure cooked dry fruit compotes are not more popular because the transformation of the fruit using this cooking method is quite amazing.

Enjoy! And come back to post a pic of your delicious compote.

Ciao,

L

Snoop
    Participant

Thanks Laura. I’m looking forward to being flabbergasted! I’ll let you know how I get on.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.