home Forums Request Line Electric coil

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MarthaLovesArt
    Participant

Hi,

A little background for context. My question is at the end of this.

I have had great success with the following cookwear on my largest electric coil is 7.5″ in diameter. I regularly use my 12″ cast iron fry pan. I measured the bottom of the fry pan which is 10.25 inches and it does a very nicely on my electric 7.5″ coil top stove. And my cast iron 7 Quart Dutch Oven with a 9.75″ bottom and 5 inch tall sides performs beautifully on my 7.5″ large burner electric stove top. And I have an 8 quart stock pot that has a disk bottom diameter of 8.75″ and it does well on my 7.5″ coil top stove.

Question/Concern: I got a super great deal for Labor Day Weekend and I ordered my first ever pressure cooker, a Kuhn Rikon Family Style 8 Quart with an 11″ diameter. I am assuming it will work fine since my cast iron fry pan’s disk bottom diameter is 10.5″.

My question and concern now is will it work well on my electric large burner? I gave a bit of back ground on the pans I currently use. Maybe you don’t know and I’ll just have to try it out and see. If you don’t I can update you after I try it out and maybe that will help others who are questioning this too.

My second question, is can you guys make a video showing what diameter pot works best on which coil size and or if it really matters? My electric stove has a small coil burner of 6.5″ that I never use unless it is for a 3 quart pan that has a disk bottom of 6.5″. I wish my electric stove only had 4 large burner coils.

Anonymous
    Participant

Congratulations on the Kuhn Rikon.

Ideally you should match the size of the coil to the size of the flat base. If you can’t do that exactly, then a smaller coil is better than larger. That way you don’t heat up the sides of the pot unnecessarily. And you don’t waste electricity.

The trick with electric coils is to bring the pot to pressure on one coil, then move it to another maintain pressure. This is because the coils hold their heat and do not adjust quickly.

The Kuhn RIkon is particularly efficient and needs VERY little heat to maintain pressure. You may find that the little coil will come into its own for this purpose. It is something you will need to experiment with on your own as every combination is a little different. One person has reported success with electric coils by sliding the pot partly off the burner. Keep that in mind as you experiment. I use gas, and balance the flame right on the edge of off for my Kuhn Rikons.

Annette
    Participant

I realize that this will not help Martha – but anyone who is currently planning their kitchen or thinking about replacing their stove may want to consider induction burners. Not only does burner size become less important (you can put a smaller pot on a larger burner without having to fear that the pot will be damaged because the burner only heats the area of the pot), heat regulation is easy and instant, so you don’t have to move your pot to another burner – you just turn down the heat. Wonderful for pressure cooking (and I have yet to encounter problems: I have never had to bring the pot to pressure on medium heat; high heat til pressure is reached and then adjusting works beautifully).
    I have had my stove for almost 17 years now, and it’s the best – I would never go back.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Oh, hi Martha. I guess you went with Kuhn Rikon – excellent choice!

I would use the two burner system that Greg recommended but would say not to bring the cooker to pressure on the ceramic burner -it takes too long to heat-up. However, once you jig around and figure out the right temperatures to bring the cooker to pressure and to maintain pressure the ceramic burner might be an option to maintain pressure.

Ciao,

L

MarthaLovesArt
    Participant

Greg, Laura and Annette thank you all so very much for taking your time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.