home Forums Welcome to Pressure Cooking School! Emeril vs. instapot

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    yellow perch
    Participant

Hello, I am new here and late to the pressure cooker party. After listening to and reading about the wonders of the instapot I decided I had to have one. The problem: I have an thrice used Emeril by T-fal cooker my mom gave me few years ago (and a crock pot so I don’t need that function necessarily). My question: should I just dust that Emeril off and get cooking? I there any advantage at all to buying an instapot? (Large family if that matters). That is: what am I missing with the emeril that the instapot has and how difficult is it to make instapot recipes work for emeril? Thank you.

Greg
    Participant

I don’t know who or what an “Emeril” is. But assuming it is a Pressure cooker of some kind, yes you can make any recipe intended for the InstantPot – or any other pressure cooker for that matter. You may need to find the equivalent button to produce the required effect though.

Some caveats:
    1: You will need to check what pressure the Emeril reaches. Most electrics cook at around 12psi. Most stove tops cook at around 15psi. If the Emeril has a distinctly different cooking pressure, then you will need to adjust the timing of the recipe. You will notice that recipes on this site typically give two times. The longer of for Electrics. And the shorter is for stovetops. If the Emeril cooks at, say, 9psi, you will need to extend the time beyond the electric time given.

2. Some recipes need LOW pressure. Many Electrics do not offer that feature. If yours does not, you will not be able to cook those recipes successfully.

3. Size matters. You should NEVER fill your pressure cooker more than 2/3 full. 1/2 full for some recipes. If the quantities in the recipe take you over that limit in YOUR pressure cooker, you will need to proportionately reduce the amount you cook.

4. Every pressure cooker has a minimum liquid requirement. Each brand is different. The liquid is needed to generate the steam needed to create and maintain the pressure that makes a pressure cooker work. If your pressure cooker has a higher minimum liquid requirement than the recipe uses, then you will need to increase the liquids to compensate. Remember though that “liquid” is not necessarily water. It might be stock, tomatoes or something else. Laura is pretty good at pointing out these non water liquids. Other sources not so much.

HelenAdams
    Participant

You should dust it off and get cooking. A newer model/brand may be more convenient and may not.
    Only reason to upgrade IMO is if you wanted a second, the Tfal broke or you want extra features.
    Instant pot is good but so are Gowise And PPXL etc. I have an Instant Pot but am not convinced it is the best.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.