home Forums Beginner Basics Found an easy cleaning method

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi

By chance I’ve found an easy way to remove stuck-on bits of food without scratching the pressure cooker interior. So you’ve washed the pressure cooker pan (or put it in the dishwasher) and there still are stuck-on bits which don’t seem to budge.

Use Cif cream cleaner. I find using Cif neat (shake it first) and a bit of light rubbing with kitchen paper works magic. No need for any scourers. Then rinse and wipe the Cif cream away with a sponge.

I thought I would share this method. It’s nice when you find an easy way to do a tricky job. :-)

HelenAdams
    Participant

Very helpful.

Thank you

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing David. I do too!

I use the one with bleach and micro-granules as it also removes and discoloration. If you use the bleach one, it CANNOT stay on for more than 30 seconds (as it is corrosive).

I also wash the pressure cooker with dish detergent afterwards as those products are not meant to be used for items that come in contact with food.

I have a fancy “stainless steel cleaner” that comes from a German pressure cooker manufacturer and although they do not list the ingredients on the bottle the consistency and grit is nearly the same. In fact, the CIF works better.

Helen, the same product in US & Canada is called “Soft Scrub”.

Ciao,

L

HelenAdams
    Participant

In Canada it is called Vim and is very inexpensive. Pretty sure I have some in my giant box of cleaning stuff. I keep trying to buy the perfect cleaning product.
    Now I am squirting vinegar on everything as I can’t find the viscous cleaning product you mentioned. Luckily I like the smell of vinegar, especially on bread and butter pickles:)

skymom
    Participant

Good to know. I was thinking of using the ceramic stove top cleaner – it’s a lot like SoftScrub, but doesn’t scratch glass (but does have enough oomph to take off cooked on residue).

I’m looking forward to getting my Instant Pot Smart. It’s on order with Instant Pot (thank you for the coupon deal!). What sold me was Laura’s writeup on making ricotta. When I explored all that the Instant Pot can do (and can effectively replace my rice cooker, slow cooker, etc.), I decided to go for it!

I have been using a stove top Pressure Cooker (Fissler) and only got “burned” once (pun intended). I was making a bolognese sauce and didn’t think to bring the temp up slowly, so I ended up with some burning at the bottom of the pan from the tomato based sauce. I notice that with the Smart Pot, you can program the heat level to bring to pressure (maybe with Duo/Lux too?), so I won’t have to sweat that.

Anonymous
    Participant

Yes I use the Cif cream cleaner with “Microparticles”. It seems to shift everything, not just in the pressure cooker.

The discolouration and white spots can also be removed with clear vinegar – 5% acidity. Try swilling the vinegar around inside the pan before putting in the dishwasher (or hand washing).

I’m not one for having too many cleaning products, especially with limited cupboard space. The Cif cream trick was discovered purely by chance and I found it worked first time! :) You can imagine how happy I was to discover this method, having previously resorted to time-consuming methods like using metallic scourers, which leave permanent scratches and not only that, but the scourers will rust after first use!

Is Cif sold under different names in some countries? It used to be called “Jif” here.

Laura, I suggest adding a new section to this website with tips on how to clean all types of pressure cookers. :)

HelenAdams
    Participant

I would be interested in a way to get the grease build up off the bottom of my instant pot insert.
    There are rings that the grease accumulates in and I didn’t notice it till it built up a bit. Not disgusting but annoying.
    I have tried ceramic stove cleaner, baking soda and vinegar paste, bar keeper friend, industrial degreaser, lemon juice and potato skins. The top of the rings cleans fine, but between the rings still beige stuff.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Skymom, here VIM is still in powder form, you mean they sells a liquid-scrubby kind in Canada?

David I don’t know if it’s the exact same company, but the stuff is very, very similar! Every year I want to write a spring cleaning article, but I never do because when I do get a burn-out, stick-on or char-out I have to hustle to get dinner on the table and I don’t have time (or light) to take before/after photos.

Helen, try the Cif/ Soft Scrub on the base, too. It removes the brown stuck-on stuff that usually accumulates on the bottom of any cookware.
    This happens when you have a little spill or the Instant Pot base is put on not a “perfectly” clean counter/trivet. While you’re at it, un-plug the instant put and give the heating element a good clean, too.

If none of that works, there is also the “nuclear” option which I use about once every two years. But I’ve never had to use it with pressure cookers (more like ceramic saute’ pans) which involves slightly warming up the pan, spraying oven cleaner and letting it set for a few minutes (wear rubber gloves, don’t inhale while spraying that poison) and then literally pouring the brown off, and wiping off whatever is left with a sponge.

Ciao,

L

skymom
    Participant

Hi Laura, I don’t know about a liquid form of Vim, I was mentioning a ceramic cooktop cleaner (Weiman – a brand that makes great cleaning products). I’m in the US, so I’ve never heard of Vim.

If a surface can be “soaked” one trick I’ve heard to get cooked on stuff off is to soak overnight in water with a clothes dryer sheet. (Maybe a bit of liquid fabric softener may substitute if you don’t have dryer sheets where you are). Mildy abrasive cleaners have worked for me so far but that is going to be my desperation tactic.

Anonymous
    Participant

I previously posted this, but can’t find that post in these forums. I had the opportunity to take photos of how well this tip works, after cooking gammon (ham) for friends (as I’m vegetarian, hence I rarely have to remove stuck-on food debris).

If you have a pressure cooker without a non-stick inside, I have found a way to remove stuck-on food debris – without scratching or scrubbing hard! Use CIF cream cleaner. I recommend you wear gloves to avoid friction on your fingers, otherwise it’s a mild cleaner, there are zero skin irritants. My pressure cooker is stainless steel. I’m sure this will also work on aluminium ones.

I hope this tip helps other readers.

Laura, maybe you could include a page on this website about cleaning pressure cookers? This could include the importance of cleaning the steam pipe on the lid.

PS. Apologies for the second picture being a little blurry, I could not get the camera to focus properly.

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you for reposting this David. I do recall your earlier post as I remember thinking that that particular product is not available here. Still there are what are probably similar products.

selina0617
    Participant

Can you clean the top lid, of the pressure cooker in the dishwasher? Can it be submerged into water? If not – why? Are there electric pieces there? I had to take off the rubber gasket and the pressure release button from my new Fagor to clean those but the actual lid got dirty and oily and was a huge pain to clean with a wet sponge.

Also, around the lid, when it’s attached, there is this super narrow divet that sometimes food and soup drips into, I can barely, and sometimes not even, clean that area. Any suggestions? That part is part of the actual cooker which I know cannot get washed in water or the dishwasher.

Paulinthesmoke
    Participant

Hi,

Not entirely off topic but does anyone know what can use this one or similar products to clean the inside and outside of the Kuhn rikon Duromatic?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.