home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat free_for_all open_melee #3

Viewing 60 posts - 1 through 60 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    gteague
    Participant

i got the demeyere 9.4″ skillet in today and dang! that thing needs to be in the museum of modern art and not befouled by the likes of me. i mean, i got the cusinart mcp stuff first and it was truly beyond my comprehension that they even made cookware of that quality. then i got the all-clad batch and although it felt somewhat more ‘solid’ in the hand and looked somewhat better to the eye, pending cooking tests, it’s not immediately obvious the difference you get for the price.

the demeyere is an order-of-magnitude better than both on initial inspection. it’s obvious even to me that they are in a higher league. and even the made-in-indonesia egg poacher i got is at least the quality of the other stuff–even the all-clad made-in-america stuff. and actually i know have my eye on another demeyere product in that ‘resto’ line (which is guaranteed the same 30 years as the belgian stuff, btw)–a pasta pot. it’s about 4 qts i think and with an insert. the ones i compared it to are 6 and 7 qt and way too large for my needs.

i know i have a 3 qt saucepan which should serve for pasta, but does one of those inserts make enough difference to spring for another pan?

oh, and the paperwork with the demeyere skillet (you remember i read every word, right?) say absolutely not to use evoo (basically my only goto oil until i got the sesame oil) and to use a ‘high temperature’ oil like peanut oil. so does sesame oil quality for that category? after all, they’re both nuts. or seeds. or something like that. [g]

i’m reading their instructions for frying now and they’re somewhat confusing based on our conversations here. basically they combine the instructions for ‘wet’ and ‘dry’ frying with the ‘wet’ calling for adding the oil beforehand and the ‘dry’ as it say–no oil at all. which sounds insane to me, but, as the kids say, whatever. /guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Peanut oil has a smoke point of 230ºC. Sesame oil is 210ºC. EVOO is also 210ºC.
    Compare those to ghee @ 252ºC and you will understand why I prefer the latter.

I do use EVOO on occasion. But it is a strong flavoured oil as is Sesame oil.
    MY main concern is the cost. I don’t think it does anything bad to the pan. Most of the extras that give it its flavour over “Pure” Olive oil are lost on heating.
    I have seen some reports that EVOO breaks down into nasties when heated strongly, but I have talked to growers/manufacturers and they claim there’s not a problem. Of course they are trying to sell the oil. I know Koreans often use Sesame for frying.

Korean providores typically sell sesame in 1 litre (or larger) cans. Supermarkets have it in 100ml bottles or smaller. At almost the same price. (100ml is 1/10 of 1 litre)

Helen’s report that she has problems with SO going rancid indicates that it is an unstable oil. As is EVOO.

BTW My source for these temperatures is Modernist Cuisine At Home. So I don’t have a link for them. Sorry. MC@H is the more approachable version of my big book of cooking. I have the App version.

gteague
    Participant

waitwaitwaitwaitwait! you just let it drop so casually …

… so you’re telling me that, first, there’s a cheaper, more basic (?) version of the 6-volume set you got? and that there’s an even cheaper app? well $79.95 is about $79 more expensive than 99.5% of the apps in the store, but still.

does the app have the complete contents of the $105 hardback? even the used not-so-good-shape copies have retained 80% of the original price it looks like.

so i’m hearing that i need to find a local source for ghee or a cheap online source. amazon has some 14oz bottles for approx $10, but the minimum price seems to be $15 a pound. is that an outrageous price? i paid like $7 for 7.5oz at the local grocery store. so i guess we’re saying it’s gonna be $1/oz no matter local or online.

i looked up peanut oil and there’s 128oz of crisco for $20 and i probably could match that at the local store. or i can get 35 pounds for $35. i mean, i know they measure jet fuel in pounds instead of gallons, but what exactly is a pound of peanut oil?

Anonymous
    Participant

MC@H: I don’t know so, but I believe so. I actually seem to recall there is MORE content in the app as they include some videos.

Ghee: I pay about AUD5 for a 330g bottle from the supermarket or AUD9 for a 455g bottle from the local Asian store (better quality but not always available). If my memory for these conversions is correct that’s about USD0.5 an ounce. But as I said somewhere, it is really easy to make from butter.

Pasta pots: I tried to reply on these earlier but the website crashed.
    I tried one of those strainer in pot setups years ago. I tossed it. I found the pasta didn’t cook well in it, and when you take the insert out to get the pasta, boiling water goes everywhere. I much prefer just using a standard but large pot and just pouring the lot through a colander in the sink to retrieve the pasta. I put the bowls under the colander so the get warmed by the hot water. For fresh pasta, or spaghetti that can sneak through the holes in the colander, I fish the pasta out of the water directly with a spider.

gteague
    Participant

@greg: congrats–you have your revenge on me. not only in considering an $80 app (i once considered -briefly- a $50 astronomy app), but in a two hour call to apple tech support because itunes quit accepting my payment sources. [g]

i’m sorry to hear about the pasta pot. but there’s nothing stopping me from using it as a stock pot or a pasta pot without the insert, right?

$6 a pound is about what that works out to. much less than the $12-15 a pound i’m seeing at amazon.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I only use sesame oil in Asian recipes like fried rice or dumplings or a Vietnamese style crepe (omelette) so it lasts a long time and almost always goes rancid before I finish the bottle and I refrigerate. I love the taste in certain dishes but I think it too strong for general frying, plus it is a stickier oil than most. I use it for flavour, not for frying.

Ghee I buy because while it is about twice the price of butter, it is made, bottled and labeled. A bottle of Ghee lasts me a long time as well and has never gone rancid unrefrigerated. I use it for coat the pan type frying or when called for in a recipe.

I usually make pasta in a 6 litre pot if I have company, but have made it carefully but successfully in a 1 litre pot for a small quantity and even in a rice cooker when I was living without a stove or burner. I use a boil and let it sit method similar to the one mentioned in guys pdf. It is easier than the boil/watch/throw it at the wall way as you can start it ahead of time. The big pasta pot is a pain I agree, plus how often do you need that much pasta. I recently managed to give mine away.

@guy If you need a bigger pot just for pasta, you don’t need an expensive one. And your Instant Pot will boil water just fine and should be plenty big and now you even have the glass lid I assume.

Olive oil I use for heath reasons or when called for in a recipe. I have cheap and expensive. I don’t buy the big cans because I have had one go rancid. One litre bottles I generally pay $2 for cheap and about $6 for expensive (EEVO from Italy) but that is on sale prices. Olive oil can be very expensive.

For deep frying I use cheaper oil like corn, safflower or canola. Peanut oil is supposedly one of the best for flavour and fair smoke point, but the difference is not worth the price for me.

I also use Asian Family stir fry oil and expensive Korean chili oil and my sister uses garlic oil a lot and got me some but mostly I just chop the garlic or use dried in an emergency.

I guess I have a lot of oil/fat as I have lard, shortening, butter and margarine in the fridge or freezer usually.

The only price I really care about is for deep frying oil, because of the quantity required. The others I also buy on sale when possible, but if I pay $5-$10 for what is probably going to last a year or more that is okay.

gteague
    Participant

so the pc pot is 6qts and you can only fill it halfway when cooking pasta, right? so i could use it as a 3qt pasta cooker? what button would i use for that? and how closely do you have to watch it to keep it at the roiling boil?

i keep having other things pop up (like a 2.5 hour apple support call!) and haven’t gotten to reading the induction documentation yet. i did find a food temperature chart online and i can’t remember if i posted it, but i’ll paste it in below this so you can take a look at it for accuracy.

actually, it’s ugly when pasted in and i can’t remember where i harvested it from. ah–here’s the link:

http://www.healthcraft.com/categories/recipes-instruction/induction-cooking-charts.html

this chart seems to be a lifesaver for one with no concept of what temps i need for what food. i’ve already determined my first test of the induction burner is going to be poached eggs. after all, all i need is an approximate time and/or recognizing when they’re properly cooked. not as easy as it seems to someone who has never cooked.

so the chart says that to poach eggs i need to set a temperature between 180-220º:

180 – 220˚F (80 – 105˚C) Poaching eggs; roasting, stewing and braising meats; baking custards and casseroles; warming leftovers Melting cheese and fondue; simmering stocks; preparing sauces …

now that is exactly the info i need or i’d be unable to even begin scared i was going to ruin some equipment by sheer ignorance. i need to print this out on heavy paper and tape it above the burner. maybe have it laminated. /guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

No you can fill it more as you are not using pressure. Just as much as a 6 litre pot of any type. I would fill it 2/3 or 3/4 way.

The max fill line is so that food does not get into the vent of the lid or spew out at you and probably other reasons. The Instant pot is a slow cooker/soup pot warmer etc. There are lots of things you can make in it without the pressure cooker lid. Generally I don’t use any lid when boiling pasta.

Good luck with your eggs and if you happen to overcook a couple, make egg salad.

HelenAdams
    Participant

PS if you make notes on the time for perfectly poached eggs or pasta etc. Then you can use the timer on the cooktop or IP to get the same results every time. Nice thing about digital devices. Pretty consistent.

Anonymous
    Participant

I made my first ever video.
    Once made, I promptly made a number of discoveries:
    1. My camera has a microphone in it. I was expecting silent. Next time I will pay attention to ambient. And plan a script.
    2. I have no way of editing movies. I thought Lightroom could do it, but it seems it can only act as a bucket for them. So 3,4 come into play. And the movie is SOOC.
    3. Flickr insists on a maximum of 3 minutes. Mine is 3:51
    4. Vimeo insists on a maximum of 500MB. Mine is about 600
    5. I don’t have a U-Tube account.

So I have put it on Dropbox. Here is the link.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbh4h2ctkfl7uwo/Omelet01.MOV?dl=0

Basically it shows how difficult it is to clean a carbon steel pan.
    It’s such a chore I don’t know why I put up with these steel pans. ;)

gteague
    Participant

imovie? since i got a 4k camera i had to buy adobe premiere to edit the video and i hate adobe with a burning burning passion! a truly despicable company who should have gone bankrupt long ago if karma worked.

but i’m only barely ahead of cooking in the video learning curve although i’ve been a still photographer for over 50 years.

i’ll take a look and see if it’ll play in place although 600mb is not an objectionable size for video.

gteague
    Participant

says it’s still uploading. what’s your upload speed? dsl? broadband? but even at 768k up it should take more than a few minutes unless the lag time on the undersea cable is high.

gteague
    Participant

still uploading. i’ll check in on it later today but something might have stalled it out.

and i thought you could do simple video edits in quicktime although i’m not sure if that ‘pro’ optional module is needed or not.

Anonymous
    Participant

I killed that one. Still saying synching an hour after putting it there.
    I noticed that MY WiFi has connected to the low speed router. Have shut that down and reconnected to 802.11AC. will re-post the link when it finally gets there. But it may be my upload speed causing problems. ADSL1. Not sure what my official upload speed is. It’s not normally something I need to worry about. Still I may kill that one too and try connecting via a wire. Then at least I have done all I can to speed it up.

My main computer (iMac) has decided to die so my options are sorely limited.
    My main box has ( or perhaps had – sigh) several options for editing video.
    The other day, it decided to show the white screen of death. Since then it has decided to get as far as saying “user Greg had a problem logging on”. No more detail than that. I can log on as guest, but of course have access to pretty much nothing. I do have another admin account, but for the life of me cannot remember the password. The clue (“Little Red Riding Hood”) is no help. No idea what I was thinking when I set it up. Still it seems the computer itself is OK. Just a corrupt file or files. But I don’t seem to be able to get to the backup – on the LAN. I used to be able to do this sort of stuff in my sleep. Sigh.

It may be just the excuse I need to get a MacPro. so perhaps a silver lining.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I am impressed that you made a video. Should be easy to edit the sound track.
    Sorry to hear about your computer. Pretty sure you will get it straightened around. Last summer I accidentally formatted a 4 gig HD. Was a bitch getting all the files back.
    My guesses for password would be wolf or grandma or big bad.

gteague
    Participant

my 2009 imac is dying as well. the graphics card is going first and ‘blinking’ black every few seconds when i do anything graphics intensive. i have a newer one ready to go, but i dread configuring it as it took years for me to get this one into an efficient config. but when i determined to learn video using the new 4k protocol i got one of the 5k retina imacs. i got the system on it and set up basic stuff and basically it’s been collecting dust bunnies as i figure out who i’m going to get the space to move it into place. i even bought a computer desk and i have no room to build it.

adsl is usually max 768k up. and even 1mb up is slow for photos and video–i’m paying an extra $50 a month solely for 3mb uploads.

i hardwire (via gigabit ethernet) any place i can even if it means running long cables from the device to the router. wifi is great stuff, but slower than molasses no matter what ‘fantasy world’ figures they spout.

Anonymous
    Participant

Here is the link to the new file. It looks to be there.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym9owctwuzek979/_GK80432.MOV?dl=0

gteague
    Participant

despite it showing a /play/ button when it pulls up the cover image for the video, it won’t play in place on google chrome. downloading it ….

… wow ya’ll talk funny–takes me back to when i was there and looked around for a translator.

and you did this video to shame me and all my new pretty tools, right? skillet looks like you dumpster-dived for it and you have plates for ramekins. and good godz on high–a _fork_ for a spatula? is that even allowed in cooking? [g]

at any rate, i could never do a video because i haven’t got the fingernails for it.

oh, and very good job for your first attempt! i’ve seen guys on youtube with 100 vids under their belt who can’t get the least little thing right. lighting and focus were adequate and not too much shake. did you use a tripod? pretty essential accessory if you’re going to do more of these. and some way to remotely control the camera is very useful–many modern cameras have an app which works over bt or wifi for that without you buying any special proprietary remote controls. and if you aspire to even higher quality, an external microphone although so far i’ve gotten along without one. depends on how well the built-in one performs on your camera nd yours seems fine–i could hear a backseat driver in the background but couldn’t make out what she was saying–probably the accent. [g] /guy

gteague
    Participant

and wow! that was a great gnarly wad of butter you slapped in there. it must have mostly gone into the omelet because there wasn’t much less for your paper towel to catch. /guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Hey. Youse Yanks (is that term even appropriate for a Texan?) can’t talk about talking funny. She sounds fine to me. I was worried about the buzz from the microwave though.

Yes I used a tripod. My cheap Gitzo. My expensive Gitzo is more stable but less maneuverable in tight spaces. I do have a remote for the camera but I don’t think it operates the video mode. Certainly there is a separate button on the camera for it. Besides. I was busy cooking. No hands free for camera controls. I guess I could have used a VAC though.

I don’t go in for pretty. Functional is where I stop. I don’t object to pretty but if I have to choose between them I’ll choose function every time. And I assure you that pan is functional. And as you saw, easy to clean despite carbon steel’s reputation. At least I am not scared of using it in case I scorch it’s pretty hide. :P. Actually it is my Element B pan which they claim to be iron rather than steel. Though it is forged not cast iron.

And I don’t need to worry about scratching the pan. So I can use a fork if I already have one to hand. Or a knife. Which I’ve been known to do. And why dirty another bowl when I’m going to use that plate anyway? If it had been raw meat there would have been a health hazard and a reason for an extra plate. But hot smoked salmon fresh out out of cryovac? I didn’t think so. And I’m still alive after eating that delicious omelet so I guess I was right.

So when are you going to scratch up your pretty pans? And actually cook something.

PS. It was about a teaspoon of butter but I only use careful measurement when I am trying something new or if it is really necessary. Like with baking cakes. For this I just cut a corner off the block.

gteague
    Participant

well, maybe we’re collectively yanks, but the southern states would get up in arms about it! remember ‘damm yankees’? it’s built into the post civil-war culture, for better or for worse.

i have a gitzo tripod and monopod from the 50s! they are prehistoric and a collector once offered me real money for them and i have no idea why i didn’t take him up on it because i’d never give up my manfrotto carbon fiber and my mefoto high tech compact ones.

all good points, i was just tweaking you. it was say more impressive than i could ever produce. and i thought it was ham!

and a teaspoon of butter? you serious mate? what are you smoking down under? that was three tablespoons minimum! crikey!

[sorry if that last term rubs you wrong. i have aussie friends who say it’s insulting to use it. myself, i’m hard to insult. [g] and you have to admit that crocodile hunter (steve irwin) was very colorful, if lacking in common sense. that’s show business i guess.

Anonymous
    Participant

I was almost going to “crikey” at you. Fair dinkum. I don’t think it as insulting. It just expresses mild disbelief or amazement. But it is more a Queensland term and I’m a new south Welshman. I would be more inclined to use “bloody hell” in similar circumstances.

I think you are being fooled by perspective. The butter shot was much closer than the pan. I didn’t measure it. Just cut off a slab, but it was maybe 20x10x5 mm. That’s actually less than a teaspoon.

And you don’t know how impressive your omelet will be until you try. The advice I got was to make one every day for a month. After that every one will be perfect. So far it has proven true for me. Though the first few were definitely bin worthy.

PS Both my Gitzos are carbon fibre. With RRS heads that weigh almost as much as the tripods. If I was buying again I would get RRS tripods. I’ve used them. They are incredible.

gteague
    Participant

well, now @helen is jealous of my (so far unmolested) pans and i’m jealous of your tripods! manfrottos are great, but they’re what you settle for when you can’t get gitzo. [g]

Anonymous
    Participant

You do know Gitzo and Manfrotto are the same company these days don’t you?
    Still as Demeyer is to all clad, so RRS is to Gitzo.

I don’t think MC@H is for you just yet. The cooking is a little out there. If you know what I mean. At least wait until you have broken in those pans.

gteague
    Participant

yeah, everyone owns everyone else. we’re well on the way to a single global company owned by the illuminati. [g]

gteague
    Participant

@greg: i gotta try this! after the poached eggs though …

http://bit.ly/1HyIdmR

Anonymous
    Participant

That’s the way I always do my fried eggs. I have since I was first trusted with a frypan. Actually a little before. But don’t tell my mum. In those days we used an asbestos simmer mat to get the gas heat low enough. The other thing I did was baste it with hot bacon fat to whiten (not cook) the top of the yolk. These days I add a splash of water and put a lid on to do the top. The steam does the same job as the bacon fat. And my frypans don’t have the dents my mum’s had to collect the fat. That’s not why they got the dents. Just the use they were put to after they were made.

Pam is not a fan of fried (or boiled) eggs though so I only do them when cooking for one. Actually now i think on it, she only eats eggs if they don’t look like eggs anymore. So boiled, fried, baked (incl PC), poached, Scotch: no! Scrambled, omelet, in cakes etc: yes.

Did you notice he was using an induction cooktop?

gteague
    Participant

yes i did. and a non-stick pan. i’d love to turn out eggs just like that–that’s the way i prefer them but rarely see.

i returned the all-clad one and am getting a cheap one that’s highly rated with a ceramic-something coating. @helen was right in that one should be very nice to have around–i just don’t want to mess up an expensive one. and i’ve come to realize you can’t really trust reviews of non-stick pans because evidently there are more idiots than me out there. [g]

http://amzn.to/1TDrl5X

1381637_511869922242199_1845655923_n

HelenAdams
    Participant

I generally flip my eggs for 30 seconds because I like them that way. Slightly different flavour. Sunny side or basted is marginally easier though. And frying is easier than poaching for most. A lot of restaurant cooks cannot poach an egg.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I am perfectly happy with my $8.99 Try-Me size T-Fal which may even be induction compatible. Have probably used it 50 times and still looks like new even on the bottom. But I liked the look of your pan a lot. If I ever have more space or less pans I may get one.

I have an old ugly dented slightly 5 litre saucepan that anyone who has used it wants. Nothing sticks, nothing burns.

I think you are underestimating yourself, and overestimating the difficulty of cooking in general. You will do fine.

gteague
    Participant

i just picked the first color one i saw since all my other pans are pan-colored and i can pick it out! [g]

gteague
    Participant

watching cooking pr0n …

… masterchef!

elimination challenge: use required ingredients peanut butter and jelly. all the contestants rush to the pantry and guess what one of them doesn’t come back with. bingo! this ought to go well …

Anonymous
    Participant

So. Not the Australian version.

We woke to a 3″ blanket of snow over everything. I know Helen will be thinking “so what” but for us that’s a massive dump.

gteague
    Participant

so, here’s an image that hopefully will never be the same after i dive into this ‘real’ cooking experience–an unmolested set of cookware tools.

btw, you order a $200 demeyere or all-clad pan and it comes in a box with a plastic wrap and, begrudgingly, a tiny sticker with care instructions welded onto the pan, never to be entirely removed. no kiss, no thank you.

this $25 pan arrived with a six-page users guide and even a ‘cozy’ padded protector in case you needed to set another pot or pan on top of it. i plan to keep this one out, so i used it on my cusinart skillet because i have the 1.5qt saucepan sitting in that pan.

i added the oxo spatula simply because it’s green (!) although i do like oxo tools very much. and i figured if i was going to brown stuff in this thing and it splattered as much as my pc, that lid might be a good idea. it even has a tiny little vent built in although it seems pretty loose and i’d think air could get in and out without it.

got peanut oil and will get a larger bottle at the store as it seems useful. i might even put it in one of the sprayers since i have a sesame oil sprayer and plan to put cheap olive oil in the remaining one.

nonstick frying pan

Anonymous
    Participant

There one thing wrong with that photo!…

NOTHING COOKING!!!

gteague
    Participant

i know, i know! lots of other projects going on and it’s very hot in the kitchen during the daytime mr 3″ of snow!

put up an antenna for my radio so i could talk into town. among other emergency communications orgs i belong to, skywarn is a very important one here in west texas for following tornados. and i’m programming 4 of my radios as well. many of them have 1000 channels and the inclination is to try to fill them up!

also, i’m having to get my roof worked on. last rainstorm i took 5.2″ of rain and i live 30yds from two creeks on each side of me. but i have a missing shingle right above my bathroom and i took on about 40 gallons of water through the exhaust vent above the throne. making peepee is very comical during a rainstorm, but don’t ask for a selfie. [g]

i know, full of excuses. but before you know it i’m going to do the chef’s steps sunny side up egg–i was very glad they sent me that video.

Anonymous
    Participant

Slowly getting somewhere with my Mac. I called apple support. I quickly stumped level one support. He passed me over to Level two. I stumped him too however he told me a few things about how it should be working. They meshed after he rang off. He was well and truly on overtime by then. Anyway, my entire user profile was missing. The penny dropping was realizing I had moved my entire profile to the second disk. That disk was simply missing. Ok hard disk failure. I can deal with that.
    Today I taught myself how to pull an iMac apart. Once I got past the sneaky bit at the beginning it was easy. I swapped out the hard drive for the spare I keep for my RAID array. Put it back together and hey presto. There was another drive. I initialized it then went looking for a backup that showed both drives. (I run an SSD for the OS and a HDD for data files. The easiest way to achieve that given OSX’s desire to pretend it knows better than me was to fool it into thinking that GregK was on e SSD when it was really on the HDD. ) I found a backup showing both drives from 9 June, so I am now in the process of restoring the entire volume. It is estimating “about a day” – a couple of terabytes coming back. Hopefully when complete all will be working properly. Then I will have a hunt around to see if I can find the other more recent files. There is at least one email that is very important. And a number of photos that may be missing.

Still I am a lot better off than I was a few days ago.

gteague
    Participant

do you run time machine and/or carboncopycloner? i was skeptical of tm at first, but it’s save my bacon a couple of times now.

my new mac has one of the hybrid drives, but i haven’t started using it yet.

when i had the mac pro which could have 4 internal drives i had a great raid array. i miss that amount of flexibility every day. but you can get a hd dock and plug in as many hdd’s as you wish. it’s not quite as convenient, but it’s comparable and if you need more than 4 drives, easier.

Anonymous
    Participant

I use three 6 bay NAS boxes and one 4 bay.

My mac was the first of the SSD+HDD machines. They implemented it as two separate boxes and the handshaking was a little clunky. I believe they have the integration sorted out now.

If this repair doesn’t work, one of the new MacPros is definitely on my shortlist. But they only have a small SSD internally. They expect you to add a bunch of Thunderbolt drives for your main storage.

gteague
    Participant

wow! and i thought i was a geek. after hearing this, i’m gonna have to change my password now … i no longer merit it. [g]

Anonymous
    Participant

Video on one. Audio on another. The other two are for backups. Time machine. The intention was to have one there some of the time and be a remote backup at other times, but that seems not to be the way it works. I couldn’t see backups at all until I plugged both of them in. Once I have sorted this mess, I will reset time machine to use just one. And create an independent backup on the other so I can use it as a remote backup possibly using rsync so I can can leave it remote. But that will eat into my bandwidth so I may just keep to a local system and go and visit more often.

Anonymous
    Participant

20 hours later and only 85,000 files left to restore. Bring back the 8″ floppy disk I say!

EDIT: OK that may be a bridge too far. But the 5mb HDD is looking good right about now.

gteague
    Participant

my heathkit h89 (zenith z89) had one 5.25 90k _hard_ sectored floppy. which meant i couldn’t buy the cheap ibm soft-sectored blank disks but had to struggle to even find the much more expensive hard sectored ones.

do you know how many disk swaps i had to do to compile a program in zen c? well, a lot. but not as many as on my girlfriends mac compiling programs for her fortran class. [g]

and her mac had twice my memory at 128kb and two 180kb 3.5″ drives. it was a most inefficient process to put it mildly. and you don’t want to even know what it cost her to _rent_ the fortran (77?) compiler!

Anonymous
    Participant

You mean you never worked out that you could buy the cheaper disks and punch extra holes in them for the sectors? It took a little practice but it was quite doable.

Ah Fortran. I have fond memories. But I did mine on a mainframe and used hand coded punch cards. Now that was good practice for modifying the floppies!

I do remember working through the code for the “Great Underground Adventure”, the predecessor of Zork. That was in fortran. A friend and I built a fortran decompiler. We used that as a test as we had both binaries and source code to work with.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I was never fond of Fortran or Forth for that matter. When I got my first computer I did not know I would have to learn to type.
    The only programming languages I really liked were C and assembly. Zork I loved until I got eaten too many times by the grue.

My first computer had a tape deck, then I paid big bucks for 2nd hand 300k floppies, then an 8 inch floppy and eventually my boss bought me a 10 meg hard drive as a bonus. Cost $900 wholesale.

I used to punch holes in the floppies so I could use both sides. Now I can buy a 4TB HD for less than a box of 10 300k floppies cost.

gteague
    Participant

that’s how bad hard sectored disks were @greg–that hole punch trick didn’t work on them.

the first two names i remember were ‘adventure’ and ‘colossal cave’. we had a very early honeywell computer at the communications station in naples in the 80s which kept track of circuits (comm lines) for us. and of course someone had hacked it so that it would play adventure and space wars–the crude star trek game that had character graphics.

Anonymous
    Participant

I have my big computer back. Sort of.
    My most recent good backup was 26 June so I have lost anything since then. Some photos. My First Video. (sounds like a kids toy ;) Some music I had uploaded, but I keep the CDs so that’s easy to get back.
    And all my passwords and cookies have been trashed so I need to log on to everything again. Sigh.

Also Facetime and iMessage keep insisting I log on every few seconds. But I don’t want to. I have bypassed the issue by leaving the most recent prompts open in a corner of the screen, but I REALLY need to find out how to make them go away and NEVER COME BACK. (With apologies to Gollum)

Adventure and Colossal Cave were alternate names for the same game. I worked for Honeywell in the ’70s, through to the early ’90s and it was while I was there we did the decompile exercise. Though I was learning Fortran in the late ’60s/early ’70s. There were a few other games on those mainframes too. But we tended to keep quiet about them. Did you ever get hit by the Cookie Monster? That was a real devil as Sesame Street was unknown here then and when it popped up no one had a clue. More than one commercial system ground to a halt until the answer was found.

gteague
    Participant

i heard of it, but never encountered it in the wild. surprisingly, some of the worst viri were attacking the macs back then (my, how things have changed!) via floppy trading of games.

that login deal will have to be solved by you logging out of every device and the cloud and then back in. if you have two-factor authentication set you’ll have to authenticate each device. make sure you’re using the same apple_id for each login.

this article might have some useful things to try although i haven’t personally verified all of it. but with you losing data, it could have corrupted your keychain:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6791713

Anonymous
    Participant

^
    That didn’t help.
    Then I disabled iCloud. Which stopped that one
    Then I tried deleting the facetime.plist in my preferences in the /user/library.
    No Joy. Finally, I opened facetime. Told it to turn off, then quit facetime, then deleted the plist file which had been recreated in the meantime.

Finally!

The iMessage login prompt just vanished somewhere along the way.

Thank you for pointing me to the start of the trail.
    I have never knowingly used either facetime or iMessage. I did play briefly with iCloud, for a backup then discovered that it only gave me a Gig (?) for free. Even the cost of backing up the iPad to the cloud was going to be astronomical As for the several terabytes on the computer… Not even the National Debt would pay for it. I may need to reenable iCloud. I think FindMyPhone uses it. Never used that either, but can see it might be useful in the right circumsatances.

gteague
    Participant

glad you got that sorted! yeah, icloud is a money funnel–but i have it set to do some very data limited functions just for the inter-operability of it. if i had my way i’d go all-in with dropbox, but they charge way way too much and i only have the free account. but i did catch several microsoft offers and have about 45gb on skydrive/onedrive and another 20-30gb of google drive, all for free. only problem is that they’re no dropbox and skydrives pukes on some mac file names. still, my entire documents folder from the mac resides on skydrive now along with more large stuff like my calibre library.

i have to use messaging and facetime because of a group i’m in which takes google voice calls from ‘customers’ and forwards them to whoever is taking the case. and since the new os allows you to accept your iphone calls on your desktop computer, the audio part of facetime has become invaluable. for example, i can be browsing along and if you had put a phone number in your post, i could simply select it and a utility throws up the phone icon for me to call the number and my computer uses my iphone to make the call. i can’t quite figure out how the handoff works and i can’t yet pick up a call on my desktop that’s in progress on the phone. i think my imac hardware is a little old to support all the handoff features.

Anonymous
    Participant

Not sorted yet. When I turned time machine back on, it decided to rebuild the backup. Then the machine crashed. Then when it came back up, it decided to do exactly the same thing with the other backup. Result: right now I have no backups at all if the machine goes down again in the next 24 hours or so, it will become a doorstop and I will have lost years of work. Including photos of trips to Antarctica and Easter island which I will never be able to do again.

All fingers and toes crossed.

I have started a manual copy of all data to a hastily grabbed 2tb FireWire disk. That is currently estimating 7 hours.

gteague
    Participant

best of luck. i know time machine can be bitchy when it’s too far out of sync. but there’s better tools for massaging it now if you run into trouble. when it first came out, you were just sol. /guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Twelve hours later, the time machine is still “calculating time remaining”. Progress bar on that task is about 1/4 complete. I wish it would just get on with the actual backup.

Slightly better news. The manual copy I kicked off is complete. I dropped another disk in and have started another. I am not comfortable without at least two backups. I will probably do three as both these disks are ones that “failed” in my NAS but subsequently tested OK.

I am thinking I may buy a thunderbolt drive and set up a TM backup there. Should be a lot faster.

gteague
    Participant

yeah, i use time machine, i manually back up stuff to external drives, and i use carbon copy cloner on another external to have a backup that’s ready-to-roll.

that waiting for it to actually start is the worst. you just don’t know if it’s doing anything productive or not and it’s a huge amount of time wasted if it was hung.

i have 3.5″ ‘floppies’ and cdroms from back in the early 80s when i was running linux servers. i don’t think much cp/m stuff survived though.

Anonymous
    Participant

It has finally condescended to give me an eta. 7 more hours sigh. I will be out all day, so hopefully it will be finished when I get home. Now have two manual copies. So I feel a little more secure

Of course once it finishes, it will start on the other TM disk.

Your suggestion of having a CCC disk on standby is a good one. I will implement it once the system stabilizes. I will be Walking past an Apple Store today. I may just drop in and see what exorbitant price they have on thunderbolt drives.

gteague
    Participant

very promising you got an eta–i wouldn’t have had the patience!

do you have to have the very fastest speed? my new (not yet set up) computer has usb3 and i understand that’s even faster than fw800 which is what i’m using now. fw800 is even faster than some built-in hard drives–it’s fast!

i priced some thunderbolt stuff at owc and backed out quickly. i can well afford to wait for price drops with user adoption.

i’m fighting windows all day long. i run 64b win7 on vmware for all my radios and i probably have 10-15 i connect at any given time and it usually works transparently.

but i got a new one in today and the drivers flat won’t install at all. vmware ‘sees’ the device across the virtual usb bus, but no device is ever assigned. but i’m just trying to mitigate your own very real pain somewhat–i’ll figure this out eventually–at one time i specialized in windows serial ports and modems. but the virtual layer is sometimes an unknown and (to me) unpredictable factor.

Anonymous
    Participant

My TM boxes are on gig Ethernet. As is that computer. And they are all plugged into the same switch. Still e’net is a relatively slow option. Normally I don’t care. Usually It doesn’t matter how long a backup takes as long as it happens but doing a full one is a pain when you are waiting for it to finish before doing stuff again.

Yes the bus wars are playing leapfrog again usb3 trumpets fw800 but thunderbolt trumps usb3. And esata for that matter. However there is usually a sata box inside the thunderbolt container so that’s a moot point. It does mean the pipe is wide enough for multiple boxes though.

Still out. Just on 3G so will save Laura’s new video for when I get home.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I am not big on Apple. I used to run various IOS emulators when I was into virtual 3d and built an Apple II clone from a circuit board around 1981. Was my first soldering experience and out of 12 Xerox guys and me, was the only one that actually worked when first powered on. Printer port never worked though.

I use VMware a lot, mostly I find it just works although I occasionally have had driver issues.

But I should get more into Apple/IOS. Someone gave me another IPhone 4 today and it is sitting alongside the other one. Probably I should just give them away to a needy child or two, but can’t quite bring myself to do it.

Well good luck etc.

Anonymous
    Participant

I got into apple when I was forcibly retired. After playing with Unix boxes (yes I know but it doesn’t look like one)and M$ platforms for more years than I care to remember, I just wanted a machine that didn’t scream “work!” At me every time I turned it on.

Got home to find the first backup completed and the second underway. Time to be determined. In hindsight I think that just means more than 24hrs.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hey @ guy,
    You’re the bean expert. Do you want to help this poor lass out?

Simple Bean Recipe

Viewing 60 posts - 1 through 60 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.