home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat free_for_all open_melee #3

Viewing 60 posts - 61 through 120 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    gteague
    Participant

i built a cp/m computer from a kit, then upgraded to a used kaypro (remember those?). at work at the newspaper i had to support all the dos (yes, pre-windows) machines and i wrote dos batch files to give our folks a menu system to access their programs. had to update the menu on about 15 pc’s every time we added an application though. we had one of the first local network systems too in hp starlan, but by that time we already had a bank of macs running appletalk (or whatever came before it) and i hated them. i detested them. but i had to support and maintain them because they were the backbone of our ad production environment.

but one day i was at the local ham radio annual flea market and some guy had some beat up portable computers on his table. i stopped to look (we’re a tiny little place with only about 12-15 hams, so the flea market didn’t have a lot of vendors) and happened to notice they were running apple os but there was a little grey window taking up the bottom left 1/4 of the screen.

upon further inspection this proved to be dos (around v2.x or 3.x i think). i accosted this guy with the laptops and asked how this was possible and he told me it was ‘virtual pc’. i ended up trading him a handheld radio for one of the powerbooks and i never looked back. that was in the mid-to-late 80s i think.

since i worked with all the operating systems, this one application allowed the mac to be the most versatile pc on the planet and i kept my skills up to date on several os’s over the years using this virtual machine app. after a few years i was asked to be a beta tester for connectix and when microsoft bought them out i was a beta tester for their re-badged virtual pc. and office as well, later on.

i remember back in the early 90s i was taking a cisco router class and brought in my powerbook. was i laughed at? oh my, you have no idea! but by the end of the week i was helping the rest of the class with connectivity and access problems and they saw how easily i was able to switch among linux, windows, and mac all in windows on the desktop simultaneously. after the class the instructor not only said i was the only one he’d ever known to take the class on a mac, he was going to buy one for himself!

HelenAdams
    Participant

You guys are making me think I should get a MAC. I am pretty well invested in Windows with a Surface Pro 3 an I7 Gaming Desktop and an I5 laptop. Believe it or not I use all 3 regularly. My biggest problem with getting a MAC/IOS device is where would I put it. When at home my Surface lives on a small folding table on the balcony.

gteague
    Participant

i totally sympathize @helen. when @greg gets free of his current morass i’m going to ask his opinion on the best method of transitioning from my 4-6 year old imac with a flaky graphics card to my new 5k retina imac which has been sitting behind me for over a year now because i can’t figure out quite how to make the transition smoothly. there are both data and space concerns in trying to make the swap.

the original intention was to start clean since i install a million shaky programs and beta and alfa versions of stuff and a mac does not (neither do any others for that matter) do a clean uninstall–things still get left behind as what we call ‘cruft’.

so now i’ve given up on that idea since i’ve just added 3-4 radios to my windows7 ‘simulator’ and i _do_not_ want to redo that stuff which would be the result if i did a clean install and just added back my apps one by one.

so if i can get a complete transfer of my old system to the new one (and yes, i’ll have to spend days re-authenticating and putting back in serial numbers) i’ll be satisfied. and then i need to swap places with the old and new and the old one will be used as a separate system which i can remote control into and the screen won’t need to be used locally and should add years of life to the failing graphics card.

anyway, that’s the tentative plan right now. but i’ve also had a computer desk (needs assembly, natch) sitting there for a year. and i sure can’t figure out how to swap it in for the 15 year old picnic table i’m using considering every square inch of it is covered with computer and radio equipment.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well guy, maybe one of us is the others evil twin. I am in a constant battle of space VS convenience, VS livability and the ability to receive guests.

I am a hoarder by nature of electronics, appliances, food and spices, cookware. I have few clothes, linens, but I have 3 vacuums and I only vacuum about once or twice a week. There is the robot vacuum, the high power vacuum and the lower power one for the room with poor power distribution where half of the outlets are wired to.

If I manage to stick it out at my job, which I currently hate, for 7 more weeks, I am planning some renovations and that will be an incentive to give away/toss some stuff.

Here I pretty well live in squalor, but I still have too much stuff and way too little desk space.

Anonymous
    Participant

AAARGH!
    This morning I went in to check on the status of the second backup. The Mac was dead. I was sure I hadn’t turned it off last night. Anyway I turned it back on. I powered up and got part way through the boot sequence and just powered itself back off. Yes this is a repeatable error.

I tried the option boot which goest to a choose your boot device option screen and let it sit there for an hour or so. No problems. So I think the pws is ok. Then I continued with the recovery boot. That worked fine. I tested both drives. They both tested ok. But I don’t think it is much of a test. I think it just tests the integrity of the Mac equivalent of the FAT.

Then I tried rebooting normally again. Crash. I am thinking that maybe the new drive I put in is faulty but short of swapping it out again, I cannot think how to test it. And the new drives I ordered to replace my spare are still a week or two away.

I normally use the boot into a particular user method. I cannot work out how to force boot to another user which may give me some more clues. Any suggestions?

@guy,
    When you start off your new Mac it should ask if you want to restore from time machine. When I changed from my 2007 to my current 2011 Mac it did this and the transition was very smooth. I had to put in some but not all of the keys again. And I had to ring up Microsoft to get a new authorization for Mac office as I already had it on three machines which was the limit. (One was the old one being replaced). Once you have finished the restore you should be able to archive that TM and create a new one for the new machine going forward.

gteague
    Participant

i’m sure this is old hat and easily found, but just in case:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

and here as well:

7 Mac Startup Options Every OS X User Should Know

i’m sure you’ve already tried safe boot and single-user mode, but just in case.

tinker tool system has some command line boot utilities, but i guess you don’t have a way to install it right now.

and i only have usb2 and ethernet on the old mac for the transfer. well, i might have purchased a thunderbolt to fw800 cable or adaptor–i guess that would be the way to go if possible.

and the computer you’re transferring from is out of production until it’s done, right?

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well that has temporarily cured me of MAC/IOS desire. My condolences. At least you got (hopefully) one backup.

I generally reformat/fresh install my Windows computers every second year. Used to be about every six months but now with all the crap I put on them it takes at least 8 hours to reinstall the stuff I cannot live without and about 2 weeks before I am happy. Then the nightmare begins again with slowly added stuff.
    And I am a compulsive backer up. Soon I will need a blade server.

gteague
    Participant

my computer and the growing pile of radios. the big window is windows7 running under vmware to control one of the radios to the left. the right side is my very cluttered mac desktop. i used to laugh at windows users with a desktop filled with icons, but they just seem to collect and stick even though i give up and archive the desktop every month or so.

IMG_1086

and just to prove i’m in america, a shot with my tv in the background showing the latest mass shooting:

IMG_1087

Anonymous
    Participant

That event made the news here. So still no proof you live in mad gun land. :P

Main computer back up again. Finally took photos of the messages in verbose mode so I could read them.

“Macintosh HD” had an unrecoverable error and the system shut down. This was the SSD that has the system files on it. The one I replaced was the HDD that had the data files for my main user account. The SSD probably got too hot after running continuously for about two weeks doing backups/restores/backups again with a little tinkering in the middle. IT had no chance to go to sleep all that time.

I finally got up the courage and formatted it then rebuilt it from the backup I created only a couple of days ago after rebuilding the first drive. It came straight back up. Good as gold.

Currently creating my second TM backup so my machine will be on for a few more days yet. Still it’s had a few hours to cool down today. Hopefully it will be OK. Otherwise I will be looking at the MacPros again. When that backup is finished I will turn it off for a few days so we can both recover.

@Helen, I’ve had similar issues with M$ machines in the past. At one time it was my job to fix them. I can assure you it can be a LOT harder to do in the M$ world. That history is why I am so paranoid about backups today. Right now I have two current unofficial backups (simple file copies of the data drive) and one official (Time Machine) backup. I won’t rest easy until I have that second TM backup squared away. Then I may well mail one of the unofficial ones to my daughter who lives over 1,000 miles away. Far enough to avoid any natural catastrophe I can imagine. It won’t survive WW3 of course, but if that happens I probably won’t be in a position to care.

And @guy, I upgraded from a CP/M machine to a Kaypro too. But not before I rewrote my copy of CP/M to first read a single floppy (It started out with just a cassette for storage) then a D/S floppy, and finally a 5MB HDD. And rewrote the terminal interface to use full screen mapping so I could do graphics. (and play Zork)

gteague
    Participant

yeah, the kaypro was luxurious! 7″ amber screen and not one but _two_ 5.25″ floppies. and came with a whole word perfect suite–you got about a dozen floppies with it.

i can’t begin to believe that ssd’s are so advanced and rugged nowadays you could put them through the abuse you have. i still think of them simply as usb sticks on steroids. i’d think you’d have worn out all your storage sectors even if they do have, what?, thousands? millions? of read/write/re-write cycles.

and @greg, what would be the difference in using the transition software and simply hooking the new machine up to the time machine drive of the old machine and doing a restore?

Anonymous
    Participant

I am pretty sure that’s exactly what the apple transition does.

Anonymous
    Participant

iMac crashed again.
    The SSD is reporting unrecoverable errors again.

Rebuilding it as I type, but methinks a new computer is looking likely

gteague
    Participant

[in best mr bill (i hate that voice) voice]: ohhhhh nooooo!

how old is this ssd again? as i said, being way oldschool i’ve never fully trusted the concept but by the time i was buying my 5k mac they were pretty well here to stay. and i’m already way out of warranty on it even though i haven’t used it.

you going for the pro? that thing seems horribly overpriced. i had the old ‘wind tunnel’ one and when it died a windows gamer eagerly scooped it up to build a game machine into the case. he did give me a great tip about some western digital raptor drives which were 10k-15k rpm and they were the ultra-fast ssd-equivalents of that day. man were they blazing fast although they ran very hot, were loud, and didn’t near have the lifespan of a 5400 or 7200 rpm one. but geeeez did i boot up fast!

Anonymous
    Participant

Did I say it never rains but it pours?
    iMac is working ok except for the fan issue. It appears that Apple in their wisdom wrote special firmware to do non standard temp monitoring instead of using the SMART system everyone else uses. Means you have to use an Apple HDD, put up with the fan going mental or kludge the OS so that it uses the Smart System. I will be going down that road when I get a chance.

Did I mention Pam’s mum died Saturday morning our time. She had a fall last Thursday. And died in her sleep sometime between 1:30 and 4:20. Those were the times Pam checked on her. She lived up the other end of our house since she lost her sight. That really put the kibosh on our family get together Saturday lunch. We cancelled that then took everything out to family in Mullion Creek on Sunday. About three hours drive from home. On the way back home I came down with severe indigestion. It flared up again this morning (Monday here) and had me vomiting while we were seeing the funeral director. Not a good look. Any he convinced Pam to take me up to emergency. Several hours later they decided I have pancreatitis and are transferring me to the big hospital down the road for an operation. Sigh. I knew I should have put my foot down and said no hospital. I will probably go off air for a few days. Though I have smuggled the iPad in so there may be some updates if I am up to it.

gteague
    Participant

i’ve heard about fans and sdd’s before but paid no attention. i have my own fan issues and have to use istat menus to run mine at max when i’m viewing any video or working on graphics-heavy stuff. even in the imac they are irritatingly loud when run at around 2500rpm.

pancreatitis? really? i had to look it up and it seems nothing to fool around with–glad you’ve sought treatment. i’m lighting a healing candle for you if you don’t object–green or white for healing.

you take care of yourself–after all, who would step me through sous-vide steak if you crashed? [g]

/guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

Get well soon

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you. They are still doing tests. At the moment worst case scenario is good bye gall bladder. But I am on “nil by mouth” at the moment. I think they are trying to starve the problem away.

gteague
    Participant

hospitals are not fun places, no. so how do you get all those delicious enzymes and stuff it produces if it’s nuked? can they make it up with medicines? /guy

Anonymous
    Participant

What delicious enzymes? I’m on “nil by mouth”
    No food at all for more than two days. Not even any water. Sob.

gteague
    Participant

wth? no water for two days? they are sadists. i guess if you’re on an iv (and i’m sure you are–that’s a kneejerk thing) you won’t die after 3 days then. i can’t go two minutes without liquid–i suspect i might explode one of these hot days. [g]

i remember they did that to me once and when they let me have water i drank it so fast i tore my throat up and couldn’t talk for two days. maybe that was the purpose to begin with. [g]

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Yes. On a drip. Though I did go more than 12 hours yesterday without anything. I was transferred between hospitals and taken off the drip for that. By the time all the processing had happened 12 hours had gone by. New hospital is a lot bigger and busier but a lot of inefficiency too. I was off for tests when my bed became available they called for me in the waiting area but of course I wasn’t there. Instead of checking the log they assumed I had left.

gteague
    Participant

it sure helps if you have someone there who can run ‘point’ for you and don’t let ’em get away with the inevitable mistakes. /guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

Sounds dreadful. I am of two minds on the medical system in Canada currently. Total contempt of their ineptitude and awed by the fact that these seemingly inept uncaring people manage to come through when it really counts.

No fun but it sounds like you are bearing up and perhaps not throwing up. I wouldn’t let them take out my Gall Bladder about 10 years ago and apparently it is fine now but who knows in your case. A friend of mine had hers removed last year at 70 and is happy she did it.

Get well soon.

gteague
    Participant

@helen, you _do_not_ want to hear my experiences with the new american (very loosely titled) ‘healthcare’ law called obamacare or the ‘affordable care act’.

it is a horror beyond words and is what happens when you have one party that is single-mindedly trying to forbid a single penny to disadvantaged people while kowtowing to the rich. they are truly despicable.

btw, i just remembered that my good friend just had hers removed as well. she was in agony before the operation and now she’s working again.

/guy

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Greg, I wish you a speedy recovery. Pam must be beside herself.

Ciao,

L

gteague
    Participant

i might be off the air for an unknown period. my old imac decided it was tired and i’m going to attempt a migration to the new imac. i dread the hundreds of hours it will take to get productive with a new computer even if more than i expected gets migrated correctly.

hang in there @greg! i’m probably going to need tips and suggestions to get things running again. [g]

Anonymous
    Participant

Out of hospital now. Not entirely sure I should be but for the next few days Pam really needs my help so I won’t be telling her I am not completely cured.

Still I am getting by and if I stick to bland foods I should be OK.

Our public healthcare system is quite good by American standards. From what I hear the American one is great if you are wealthy or are on a company plan. It sucks if you are neither. I had a quick look at Obama care, and I suspect it would have been excellent if it had been allowed to be built as originally envisioned. I suspect it was based on ours. However it was knobbled by vested interests. Always a problem when the dollar reigns supreme.

gteague
    Participant

right on all counts my friend!

and guess what i’ve been doing all day? right–same thing you’ve been doing for nearly two weeks–pushing bits into places they sometimes don’t wish to go.

as i said, the old imac is failing and i wanted to bring the new 5k online so i could shift it in at a moments notice. i considered all the options for migration (i gave up on a clean install–i’m too old for that!) and settled on my time machine external drive as the best option–not the least benefit that i could continue to use the old computer while it trundled away on the new computer.

but you know what they say about plans going awry and i feel i was the victim of some sort of apple bug or at least a coverup involving the documentation.

i knew well the dangers of pulling a duplicate admin account name over to the new system and i read all the apple documents which said that migration assistant would prompt me to replace or rename. well, i later discovered that every other option but the time machine was included that line but it was missing in the time machine instructions. i now think that might have been deliberate as you shall hear.

i’m using hdd docks for some of my externals and the time machine drive was just a bare 2gb wd 3.5″ drive. the old system used a fw800 connection to the dock. i had purchased a new usb3.0 dock for the new system and i simply connected it and plugged in the drive and things ‘just worked’ as they rightly should.

i started migration assistant and sailed through the options, but no admin user option. this should have scared me enough to change the admin name on the new system, but i wanted the tm to overwrite that one otherwise permission and path problems would abound.

drive trundled away (and got red hot) for nearly 5 hours and when it was finally done it slapped me–it said it hadn’t been able to copy over the admin account and files. worse, none of my passwords worked so i couldn’t even log into the new system.

i explored many options but finally i had the idea that apple might be able to tell me how to restore the account without killing what i’d already copied over. every other option would have had me doing a complete re-copy. and i was very pleased to find out that i had applecare for like 2-3 years as i had purchased this box over a year ago and didn’t think i had coverage. i bought it from bhphoto and i think it was part of the deal because i don’t usually buy extended coverage.

at any event, apple had no shortcuts for me and instead of doing another migration i did a restore instead which they claimed would overwrite everything on the new disk with the old system–including the admin account. i was skeptical, but indeed it did although it took another 5 hours to do the restore and by the end the poor wd drive was literally sizzling!

i only took a quick look because little snitch was bombarding me with requests to authenticate every connection and, after all, that’s what i paid it to do. but it looks like to me that my old computer has transferred over with very few bits missing except for passwords and stuff although i’m sure i’ll be reinstalling a _lot_ of applications. first thing i had to do was generate new icloud, facetime, and messaging passwords. also, i have two-factor authentication turned on everywhere i’m able and that adds at least two steps to logins–and by design.

so tomorrow i’ll have to figure out how to physically move it into the place of the old computer despite both having way too many things hanging off them.

the 5k display is gorgeous though, even displaying hd wallpaper. i’ll be tweaking little stuff for hundreds of hours yet but it’ll be nice working on a sort of up-to-date hardware for a change–i think apple has put out two newer models since i bought mine–a hazard of buying computer stuff–planned obsolescence.

so are going to try to opt-out of the operation? are they giving you the option? or are you still awaiting the final verdict on that?

glad to hear from you! /guy

Suzanne
    Participant

Greg,

Glad to hear you are home again. Hospitals are no fun. You and Pam really have been clobbered in the last couple of weeks.

While family funerals are inexorable, please be vigilant about your pancreatitis issue. My friend’s brother had this and did not deal with it until late in the issue, at which point it became a far bigger deal.

There’s a drought in Aussie wit at the forum. Looking forward to when you feel well enough to green it up again.

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you all for your concern. So far I seem to be on the mend. As long as I get past Tuesday (funeral) in one piece I will be happy.

@Suzanne if you haven’t seen it yet, I did some timings and posted them in that thread.

Cheers Greg
    PS I am not known for my brilliant wit. Still I will take any kudos I can get.

Anonymous
    Participant

And just to add insult to injury my iMac is failing to boot again. Same symptoms as before but it is a new SSD. New computer on the horizon. Just need to scrape the cash together.

gteague
    Participant

my old imac is still winking at me so hopefully tomorrow i can replace it with the new one. since i did the migration restore though i’ve modified one of my most important files–the windows7 image from vmware. this ‘file’ is about 75gb and i’ll have to move it over to the new machine again. vmware is one of the absolute must things to get running and i already know it will complain if there’s another copy running on the same network.

apple plays tricks to allow you to view things at the size you’re used to on that 5k screen. i have the /verbose/ boot mode set so i can watch the unix scroll by and on the 5k screen it’s like watching tiny glowing pissants marching along–you’d need a strong magnifier to even read it!

hoping you are actually recovering and not going against doctor’s advice. unless you distrust the doctors of course–i could get behind that position as well–i’ve taken it a few times myself. /guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Taking things carefully for now. Though I did have a bacon roll at the local farmers market for breakfast this morning. It is my monthly treat. I seem to have survived it ok. Funeral Tuesday. After that I will take risks with food.

My dear sweet computer… I was trying to the order of service for the funeral today using Word. It kept crashing. Now FireFox has been doing that for several weeks but I have been putting it down to a dodgy version. But with today’s Word issues and a few other gremlins, I am beginning to have some flaky memory. I know Apple continually rebuild the SSD in the background so bad memory could cause corruption on the SSD. So the “faulty” SSD may be a symptom rather than a cause. Still I have had enough. Will be ordering a MacPro later tonight. A fairly bottom end one as my main use these days is photography not video. I will use my Eizo as monitor for that until I can get a better one. It will also be an Eizo but my current one is bottom of the range and two computers old.

gteague
    Participant

sorry to hear that @greg–i always hate it when computers die and mine is heading that way.

and even sorrier to hear that you have to edit your eating. that doesn’t seem like a pleasant chore for a cook!

let me know how you like the pro. apple is known for its departures from convention and the floor is littered with their discarded ‘industry standards’ over the years, but the pro is more of a leap than a step in that same direction.

/guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

Sounds like you are a bit better. I looked up bacon rolls and they look delicious but a bit risky. But life without delicious is not worth living IMO.

Too bad about your computer, but a new one will be exciting even if unbudgeted. Never heard of Eizo either. Pretty pricey by todays standards, although I once paid $1200 for a CRT monitor. I am sure your old Eizo is better than most monitors.

gteague
    Participant

good news is that, as you most likely know, the price of 4k tv’s and monitors has plummeted in the last year. i was able to score a vizio 43″ model for under $500 and just last year the bottom price had been $1k. not much content for it until i get my 5k imac hooked up though. i have the adaptors and long hdmi cable ready to go.

the youtube 4k stuff is so highly compressed the extra quality doesn’t show. and netflix only has less than a half dozen items so far and want you to pay $5/mo extra for the privilege.

for a ‘budget line’ tv and to one who usually owns sony and samsung, the vizio is surprisingly good image quality and with some of the features i liked on those name brand tv’s such as a sleep timer. also, this is my first ‘smart’ tv with apps built in without me having to hang stuff off of it.

Suzanne
    Participant

Greg, I feel your pain on the computer troubles. I remember spending the better part of 9 days on the phone with techs when I updated to Windows NT. Each successive tech carved out an additional part of my operating system until I had nothing left but the small last ditch screen. Sooo many hours of my life have disappeared into the black hole of computer maintenance. There should be a genre of country western songs about this. How your computer left you in downers-ville without a working USB port to your name.

gteague
    Participant

@greg: bhphoto has some savings on the mac pros today. they are priced out of my league though–nosebleed prices!

http://bhpho.to/1DGVe1y

code: PSWBH15

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Thanks for that guy but I have pretty much convinced my self that the 4k iMac will do for my uses. I mostly do photo editing not video and ps is not really designed for multi threading. I still haven’t jumped yet so I may yet change.

gteague
    Participant

i still haven’t started using my 2014 5k retina model, but the times i’ve been on it setting things up indicate it’s pretty awesome compared to my mid 2011 imac. sorry i don’t have any benchmarks or practical observations for you though.

i splurged on it and opted for nearly all the top options and it was over $3k for the total–i’ve never spent within $1k of that figure for a computer before. i think that i even purchased 2-3 years of applecare because bhphoto bundled it in and i had to take it or leave it./guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Back in hospital. Now minus a gall bladder.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Hope that fixes you up.
    Best wishes

gteague
    Participant

ah well, think on the positive side. you never saw it so you won’t notice it missing!

a good friend just had hers out and so far she’s doing just fine although she said the post-op hurt like the dickens. i’ll light a candle for healing for you to help your recovery. energy might be a little weak by the time it gets all the way around the world though–like my radio signals. [g]

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you Helen ang guy.
    Glad you’re still around guy I thought you must have blown yourself up when you finally got up the courage to try frying an omelet. How did it go. Or are you still not there yet?

gteague
    Participant

oh, i’m still here. been hanging out on the fb group which is very very active and has the main tech rep from instantpot running it. but i haven’t been cooking very much as every time i cook the food lasts me for 7-10 days. so i haven’t yet felt hungry enough to fire up an omelet yet. i weighed myself the other day and i’ve lost 13lbs in the last 2-3 months. and not trying, i assure you.

i did make a killer potato salad though–again, nearly by accident. and it included the first time i’d tried eggs in the pc. simple as he11–you just chopped up the potatoes in a layer at bottom and then put 4 eggs (in the shells) on top. but here’s the link:

Quick Pressure Cooker Potato Salad

what happened was i only had 2 tbsp of mayo and used 2 kinds of mustard and horseradish instead. and completely without me guessing it turned the potato salad into deviled-egg potato salad which is my very favorite kind–i love deviled eggs!

anyway, i’ve had a lot going on in the background–mostly research for various projects. trying to get my ham radio station going and have an antenna coming this week towards that goal. and i still need to replace this computer and i’ll have to do another migration to the new one as the old one is old by now since i never got enough space cleared to move it into place. so far i haven’t found a way to actually update what i have from the time machine backup of the old one–it looks like you have to do the full migration again.

also, i’ve been restoring an infrared-capable camera from 2003–the sony dsc-v1. finally got the proper i/r filter and a nd filter (for some insane reason the sony is fixed at f2.8 @1/30th in ‘night’ mode) so i could try a daylight infrared shot. and here it is:

DSC00006

even with 400-800x (8-stops?) reduction, the exposure on the sony was still blinking at me for overexposure. and it doesn’t help that i have to try to hold a magnifying glass with that 3rd hand because the screen is (yes, literally) the size of a postage stamp.

hope you’re feeling ok. /guy

Anonymous
    Participant

Have you tried a big stopper?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Greg, how many pieces are they going to take out to make you feel better? Is the appendix next! ; )

Guy, I saw your call-out from the Instant Pot group about the quiche/omelet – all of my egg pressure cooking experience since that infamous pressure cooker frittata has not changed my mind. It’s still going to be “steamed ” scrambled eggs.

BTW, a frittata takes less than 10 minutes in a frying pan, with a couple of minutes under the broiler. The recipe you linked calls for 30 minutes pressure cooking time + natural release. That’s at least 50 minutes!

WHY do this to your eggs?!? It doesn’t take less time and they don’t taste better, either.

Ciao,

L

Anonymous
    Participant

And an omelet tastes even better than a frittata and takes only a couple of minutes to cook. Including the washing up in a carbon steel pan. Don’t know about those posh stainless steel ones though. They may take longer.

Won’t be up to them again for a while though. Two operations and counting. I am still woozy from the second but I think they said there was was no net benefit to me. They took out a stent and put in another one. And they didn’t get the gallstone they were trying for. Sigh.

Never Laura, that sounds like ruined scrambled eggs. Not steamed ones. I use the Gordon Ramsay method for them ( without the cream) and it works well. The Heston sous vide method is even better but needs the cream to work.

gteague
    Participant

whoa–how’d we go from gall bladder to stent? although over here they pop those things in at the corner dispensary nowadays. hang in there dude–i expect to extract much more kitchen knowledge from you and the devil can’t have you yet! [g]

and @laura, i was wondering if just adding all that meat makes the quiche taste better to them. you know what they say about bacon. [g]

/guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

@Greg
    Sorry they have not removed the stone yet. Glad you are able to communicate. Better days ahead.

@guy
    I think we are all eagerly waiting for your induction/new cookware experiences:)

Easiest way to scramble eggs (for me).
    Take an egg (or 2)
    Put in small bowl with one TBSP Ice water or milk or cream per egg. (Ice water works best for me).

Beat vigorously with fork.
    heat small pan on induction burner with butter or oil. (I like butter for my eggs as you can see it start to bubble when it is ready but ghee might be even better)
    Pour in eggs and when they start to cook stir around and turn with fork or rubber spatula several times as they start to solidify.(I use a fork but gently).

Remove pan from heat and plate before eggs are fully cooked (1-2 minutes) as they will continue to cook a bit on their own.

Whole process takes about 5 minutes.

For bacon with those eggs I usually cut 2 bacon strips in half and place between paper towel and nuke for 1-2 minutes. Put the toast in the toaster when you are adding your eggs to the pan and everything is ready in about 5 minutes.

Anonymous
    Participant

This is my basic technique

Things I do different…
    I use ghee and preheat it to just smoking then let it cool down below 60°C. I find my pot (stainless lined copper*for this job) cleans easier that way. Then add the eggs (4 for two people) and back on the stove. I leave out the cream. And use parsley rather than chives. Tabouli sometimes.

And bacon instead of mushrooms and tomatoes. Though that may change for the near future.

Actually I think it is copper aluminium stainless. As far as I am concerned the copper is just there for show. It is quite a thin layer. Size is more important. Of course you will need to use an induction friendly pot.

And @Helen, nuking bacon is sacrilege! :P

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well that looks lovely.
    Quite a bit of work for scrambled eggs though.
    I am actually quite fussy about my eggs, be they scrambled, poached, boiled, over easy etc. etc.
    I have not tried the creamy scrambled eggs yet, but one of these days. So far I have been unhappy with the sous vide eggs.

As to the nuked bacon it works very well for the thinly sliced streaky bacon. Easy to make it soft, crisp or somewhere in between. If you haven’t tried doing it and aren’t totally anti microwave (I was myself for a few years) you should try it with one slice.

The reason I posted my method for eggs is that they are very easy, fluffy and moist but not watery or rubbery.

The other reason is that I usually have only one slice and if I cook it in the pan I will have 3 and then make the bacon fried potatoes etc.. Happens sometimes.

And I use a skillet instead of a pot although I have done them on a grill with excellent results.

I know several (4) people who have had gallbladder surgery within the last 3 years. 2 removal of gallbladder and two removal of stones. All were eating what they ate before within two months. Not necessarily a good thing, as one is easily 400 lbs. and diabetic, but even gallbladder removal does not mean you can never eat bacon again.

Eating hospital food is not much fun though in Canada. I like their Jello the best. Hospitals here can ruin chicken noodle soup. Hope yours are better.

gteague
    Participant

nutritionists are total idiots! when i was in hospital i made sure they flagged me for the diabetic diet.

turned out to be an average of 3000-4000 calories per meal with sugary deserts.

i lived on sugar-free jello. it was about the only safe thing–even their water gave me a sore throat.

/guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

EEk. Once when I was in the hospital a person (not saying nutritionist) asked me for my likes and dislikes. I told them I disliked eggs salad and porridge. Guess what they gave me. Luckily for me and possibly for them I wasn’t hungry enough to eat it and supposed to be on pre op no food by mouth kind of thing.

Still while I am sometimes amazed I emerge from a hospital alive at least I do.

Anonymous
    Participant

I think that hospital canteens are the same all over the world. Not quite sure what jello is. I suspect it is what we call jelly: sugar, water and gelatine plus enough artificial colours and flavours to sink a battleship. I hate to admit it but that was near the top of my list too. The day after I had my gall bladder out I was served roast pork for dinner. The day after my second op I was given “pork steak with Asian plum sauce”. Luckily both were so overcooked there was not much fat – or flavour – left. The latter was clearly pressure cooked but they desperately need a lesson or three from Laura. Even one from guy would be an improvement ;).
    First Dinner back home was steamed dim sum. Not sure what’s in them. we buy them from a Chinese guy at the markets once a month but they sure are delicious. Pork & veg, and chicken. I usually serve them with soy and srirarcha (?) but stuck to just soy for the occasion. Omelet for lunch but just went with a herb omelet. I usually add cheese. The guidelines on leaving hospital were not very clear. Just avoid spicy and fatty foods for the first few weeks. But no indication what that means. I’m guessing I should avoid pork belly and bacon (for now!). But what about salmon confit. Or that cheese omelet? Sigh. And where does kefir fit in? Full fat milk? Custard? They also served “custard” in the hospital but it bore no relation to what I call custard, which is rich with cream and eggs. Theirs was more like skim milk thickened with cornflour with a little tartrazine thrown in.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I suspect you are right in the jelly thing and people made and ate it by the vat when I was young. Here it is a generic term and it sure isn’t good for you.

At home I am fortunate to have a very good Asian supermarket, as well as vast quantities of Asian restaurants and bakeries. Making me a bit wistful just thinking of them.

A dash of vinegar and or hoisin in the soy sauce is an interesting change.

I went on an extremely low fat diet once for 3 months to attempt to lower my cholesterol levels. Didn’t mind it after a bit, but was eventually tempted off it by a lowly hot dog. One thing about a long or even short deprivation is that practically everything tastes better for a while. Diet didn’t help my cholesterol though.

Anonymous
    Participant

Bizarrely, I have heard that one of the best things to do to lower cholesterol is to eat lots of eggs. Yes they contain a lot of cholesterol, but the body also produces it. Most of the cholesterol in the eggs is not absorbed, but it fools the body into shutting down production. The net result is lower cholesterol. It was reported on a medical show on our local public broadcaster, and while they often report on cutting edge research that gets overturned later, I believe this one has been repeated in other studies. The original research was looking into something else, but happened to have a few body builders in the test cohort. They all had anomalous cholesterol readings so they looked into that further and found the link to high egg intake.

Yes I’ve tried vinegar with soy – delish. Thanks for reminding me. I haven’t tried hoisin though. Pretty sure I have a bottle in the cupboard. I will give it a whirl.

Tonight’s dinner was Fish & Chips. I piked (boom tish) on the fish and went for grilled, and only had a few chips (french fries to you), but all went well. So the signs are hopeful. BTW vinegar can work really well on chips too but you need to choose the vinegar carefully. I usually use a malt vinegar or a cheap balsamic, but red wine works at a pinch. Cider vinegar is just wrong.

gteague
    Participant

couldn’t answer anything last night because we had some very bad lightning strikes in the area from a small but very violent thunderstorm cell. started a grass fire a few miles from here and just when they called for mutual aid to fight it, the rains came pouring down and solved that problem.

but it buggered the electrics within a 20 mile area and my power was out for about 10 hours and i considered myself lucky at that.

you guys are both describing the atkins diet i posted about here a couple months ago. if you do it by the book your labs will show your triglycerides and cholesterol plummet. within the first six months i lowered by triglycerides by 250-350 points and my cholesterol by 150-200. and the other ‘bad’ indicators on a blood lab test went down as well.

two keys are that along with the large amount of protein you eat, you have to drink plenty of water and to exercise (walking is fine) in order to burn off the fat and these bad blood indicators.

despite me doing so well on that diet, i could nearly live as a vegetarian if i was allowed eggs and cheese. and the occasional bit of seafood.

so did they get a working stent in greg? why would they have done a catheterization on you for gallstones? did you show other symptoms?

/guy

Anonymous
    Participant

I think we are talking about different things. The stent I have is in the end of the bile duct to keep it open so the gallstone will hopefully pass through, or even better get caught in the stent so both can be removed together in a few weeks. The new stent is a little bigger than the first one they put in. I first heard about stents in connection with heart surgery. They now seem to be used all over. It just seems to be a term for a rigid tube used to keep another tube in the body from collapsing. The galls stone they are chasing is 7mm (pea sized) according to the ultrasound and 12mm (a marble) according to the CT scan. Or maybe they are different stones. I’m not sure.

Glad you’re back up and running now. We have similar issues in summer. Which is why I prefer gas for cooking.

While I know the Atkins diet by name I don’t know the details. My understanding is that it is a high protein. Low everything else diet. The paleo is similar but also has high veg count (a palm sized piece of protein, a thumb sized piece of fat and fill the rest of a dinner plate with veg for every meal). I think the main thing to do to eat well is to avoid the middle aisles of the supermarket when shopping. Try to just buy things without an ingredient list. If it does have one, try to keep it short and understandable.

gteague
    Participant

ah! i only know the term ‘stent’ in conjunction with a stent to open up an artery due to blockage. had no idea they were moving them to other parts of the body.

atkins is indeed an ‘extreme’ diet in that it doesn’t even pretend to be balanced–at least not until you move into stage 4. the stage everyone focuses on is stage 1 where you have to put your body into a ketosis-like mode to burn off existing fat. you pee on a stick to determine this state and once it starts is when you’ll see the dramatic drop in ‘bad’ blood stats.

but it requires eating less than either 10g or 20g (can’t remember) of carbs per day. just for amusement, when you’re checking for lack of ingredients, check the carb counts on randomly selected foods. and then you’ll know why the first stage is 90% fats and proteins. one piece of bread or two crackers will bankrupt your carb quota.

later stages allow more carbs and by stage 4 you’ll be able to eat much more veggies and fruit. the reason i embraced it is that it was tailored for diabetics to keep blood glucose levels down. if you ever want to make a dramatic experiment, make a type1 or type2 diabetic eat a rice cake (zero calories essentially) and test his blood sugars before and 30 minutes after. hint: it’ll be up by 250-350 ‘points’ or g/ml’s.

/guy

Viewing 60 posts - 61 through 120 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.