home Forums Kitchen Chit-Chat free_for_all open_melee #3

Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    HelenAdams
    Participant

@guy I have been on the Atkins diet many years ago. The diet I was on was low fat, mainly rice and vegetables and lentils. A small chicken breast or piece of fish once or twice a month. I also went on the lemonade diet for 14 days and have done gallbladder cleanses as well. These did help with the cholesterol and my overall feeling of wellbeing, but hard to stick to.

In the last 10 years I have been eating far less meat/poultry/fish by inclination. Pressure cooking and sous vide have upped my meat intake a lot, but it is starting to slow down again.

The trouble is I enjoy cooking, and I enjoy new techniques/gadgets/recipes and things I have never done or eaten before. It may be in my genes as my paternal grandmother took first prize every year for every entry in any fair big or small. Poor woman was wide as she was tall practically but I am sure I had friendships based on her baking:) My father had degrees in English and mathematics but became a sous chef instead.

My biggest problem shopping is avoiding the sales items on things I enjoy.

HelenAdams
    Participant

@greg
    I have made (sacrilege and blaspheme to follow) Dr. Oetker’s crème caramel sous vide and found it quite delightful. Not as good as the real thing but much better than many instant custards/deserts and pretty cheap and easy. Low in fat and additives if I am reading the label correctly.

Sounds like you still have your gallbladder which in my opinion is a good thing and probably means your gallbladder itself is still fine. Canadian doctors seem to recommend removal even in the young. I tend to favour doctors trained in India as they aren’t as quick to advise extreme measures like organ removal.

Anonymous
    Participant

No. The gall bladder is gone. It was inflamed and infected. There is still (at least) one gallstone loose in the wild though. I have gone from zero operations in my life to an average of one every 30 years very quickly. And in a few weeks it will go to one every 20 years. Don’t you just love statistics? It has certainly been a month of horrors for us. Pam has even managed to acquire the latest flu. Something we usually sidestep. Luckily I had the jab a little earlier in the year so I should be safe. I really don’t fancy coughing or sneezing at the moment.

DrO seems to make the best of the instants. But for custard, I will take the time and trouble to do it properly. Or go without. Life is just too short. Still I wouldn’t expect anything else of someone who nukes bacon :P

Have you checked out Kenji’s latest updates in the Anova App? It seems he has taken a long hard look at chicken. You may well find a time/temp combo there that will convert you to the dark side. Personally I am salivating at those smokerless Smoked Spare Ribs and cannot wait until I am brave enough to give them a try. Probably another month. I have never been able to justify a full blown smoker so a sous vide option seems just the ticket.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well I will probably continue on nuking bacon despite all opposition. My biggest problem with the real custard is what to do with all those egg whites. Eggs are cheap, but there is something that seems wrong about throwing the whites away.

I don’t have the app as I don’t have a device that will run it. Probably in the fall. I do have Android tablets and an iPhone but they do not have Smart Bluetooth. My Surface Pro 3 does but no Windows app.

I did sous vide ribs with liquid smoke and could not tell the difference. Maybe my tastebuds or the only available liquid smoke is not the best.

I am definitely interested in anything kenji has to say about pretty well anything. One of my big meat binges was his sliders recipe (real sliders not mini burgers) and as you know I did the beer cooler sous vide but found it frustrating. Well worth the price to get a real circulator. Mine gets a lot of use as I still use it to heat the dishwater.

I am thinking that tomorrow I will try the Chefsteps ham.

Indeed you two have had a bad month. I have had many health/pain issues in recent years, but consider myself fortunate that they haven’t slowed me down noticeably long term, although for 8 months I could barely get out of bed and had to fill the bathtub with water once to get myself out of it.

Better days ahead

Anonymous
    Participant

Sorry. I forgot you don’t have an iDevice.
    Here is the link to where he is discussing the background to the recipes in the Anova app:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

He also does a similar thing with thigh meat. But I’ll let you google that on your own. (Probably no point Bingling it) here a bingle is a minor car crash. Many jokes were made when ms came out with the name and it probably explains why it never took off here.

It sounds like you have had a worse time of things longer than we have but it truly has been a month I don’t want to repeat in any lifetime soon.

As for egg whites, I turn them over to Pam and she makes friands With them. Note that is not her recipe but it gives you the idea. Actually it may be. I have no idea what recipe she uses She does all the baking except bread. We also do the occasional Pavlova too. If it is only one or two, I just slip them into the breakfast egg dish. However custard is only a now and again thing so we are not inundated.

Anonymous
    Participant

My real objection to nuking bacon is that it seems impossible to avoid the use of paper towels. We haven’t used them in over twenty years. Just one step towards the throwaway society too far I guess.

We have a stack of clean cloth teatowels reserved for the cross contamination risk jobs like drying raw meat. They get used once and tossed in the wash. For general wipe downs we use an admittedly usually grotty cloth. It gets washed about once a week. And I have taken to saving the inevitable paper serviette from takeaways for wiping down the outside of the frypans after I pour any excess fat out. It’s not a system suitable for any commercial kitchen but it works for us.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Interesting. I have objections myself, but I use the brown kraft paper towel rolls used in dispensers and one roll lasts me several years. I bought a case for $20 and might have to leave it in my will. They aren’t a necessity even in the bacon nuking world, but no more offensive then toilet paper or tissues. I am very thrifty with paper/cleaning products even when I get them for free. Occasionally I indulge in a cleaning person and my last one required tear off paper towels and wipes etc. Boggled my mind how she could use up two rolls (Big) of paper towels and a container or two of wipes in 2 hours. Still she did a wonderful job of shining things up and at the time I was incapable.

Thanks for the link. Kenji’s chicken breast looks like mine looked. But my chicken was not the greatest even for a stir fry so I will try it again.

gteague
    Participant

yeah, they make bacon specifically for microwave and it’s somewhat of a substitute (more like just a memory) for bacon cooked in a frying pan. and i don’t know how to deal with it except with a paper towel. but i’m like helen, i can make it through a whole year on one or two rolls of paper towels if i don’t have too many ‘cat accidents’–i have one who likes to eat the wallpaper and then spend the night barfing it up again, i’ve used up 1/2 roll just on one such even alone. he doesn’t quite do it often enough i can label it pica though and since i changed their food it seems to have tapered off.

on the cooking front i continue to put out perfect rice and the pastas are coming along nicely. i got a recipe off the facebook page that allowed me to use that box of italian meatballs that came with my big-box-o-meat. they are cooked and frozen, btw. i’m not a big fan of meatballs and this solved the problem of what to do with them.

you simply put in the pasta and the meatballs together and cook on low for 8 minutes–i use 9 just because i’ve gotta retain the rebel image! i don’t abort the /keepwarm/ and let the pressure bleed off on its own. but i’ve learned the hard lesson never to cook in sauce or to use any sauce until plating and then only sparingly. that stuff is the very devil to get out of anything and one hour of scrubbing negates even the best meal.

Anonymous
    Participant

Tissues! Blechh! Handkerchiefs all the way. My sneezes go straight through even the toughest tissues.

HelenAdams
    Participant

I have childhood memories of adults wiping my nose with unpleasant handkerchiefs. And old catalogues as TP. Not quite my cup of tea.

@guy. What method do you use for your perfect rice? I have tried several in the PC and except for the risotto I am unhappy with the results. The last time I tried Laura’s and the rice kind of got crumbly when I made fried rice.

gteague
    Participant

@helen: what works for me is the formula @laura posts: 1c rice to 1.5c water. but i use 1.75c because i like mine a little softer and less sticky.

4 minutes on /high/ and a 10-minute release and that’s about all there is to it. the recipe laura supplies for the iphone app (i realize you don’t have access to it) is nearly exactly that except for the extra water i add. also, i spray the pot with olive oil so it comes out easier, but i don’t add salt.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Hey guys, I jut got 7 lbs of cheddar cheese and I’m sooo excited I just had to share! Through my newly-found American friend network one is a retired Air Force recruiter and she goes shopping at the American base in Naples once every three months.

Cheddar cheese is IMPOSSIBLE to find in Italy – I can’t even get it shipped from the UK (which is closer and somewhat part of the EU). Can’t wait to start testing recipes with it!

I hope it tastes as good as I remember.

It’s the little things! : )

Ciao,

L

gteague
    Participant

not sure i could work up any enthusiasm for cheddar cheese unless i was deprived of it–just don’t take away my colby or swiss!

otoh, the only substitute we get here for those heavenly mozzarella di-buffalo balls i used to eat daily in naples are not even worth remarking on.

i guess we need to set up a swap program, eh? except the postage would bankrupt both of us.

/guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

Odd how different countries/continents still have very divergent food availability. Canada has pretty good availability but many things I cannot get here easily or can actually order cheaper from Europe. I think they have changed the cheese import/export laws here about 5 times in the last 30 years. My mother, a cheese fanatic, became allergic to cheese, or the additives/preservatives but could eat European cheese and sometimes it was impossible to buy.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Guy, if the shipping won’t get our cheese the import taxes will. : (
    I’m not pretending this cheese is anything gourmet but when you don’t have access to something ordinary it becomes special.

Helen, it could be that all American cheeses are made with pasteurized milk, whereas many (all?) European cheeses are made with raw milk – I’ve heard this could affect the digestibility.

Ciao,

L

HelenAdams
    Participant

Could be. It is illegal to sell raw milk in Canada. People were managing to get around this with dairy herdshares but the government shut these down. Nice of the government to protect us but I suspect it is more BIG Food Processors behind it.

http://rawmilkconsumer.ca/information/raw-milk-laws/

If you look at the map you will see that it is legal to some extent in almost all the US. I could go to Washington State and buy it in a grocery store.

The thing I find the most bizarre is that generally the Canadian government follows the Us FDA lead in food safety, even if we have a million statistics disagreeing. And we have much cheaper prescription drug prices than the US due to regulation.

It appears to be self interest lobbying these days for the cheese.
    http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/02/16/saputo-calls-on-ottawa-to-reserve-eu-cheese-import-quotas-for-major-dairies.html
    Terence Corcoran: Canada’s big stinky cheese cabal

Oddly enough I often buy Saputo as it is pretty good quality and far cheaper than major brands like Kraft so I wish them success but not at the expense of other cheese producers and an open marketplace.

Sad to say, BC, where I live, is very susceptible to lobbying, and has passed a lot of legislation strongly biased towards factory farming and against small/organic/free range food producers.

Sorry for the rant but I just wonder how EU countries with their limited land for farming, their often higher wages, and up to a 300% tariff can possibly be a threat to the Canadian dairy business

Anonymous
    Participant

It is illegal to sell raw milk here too. There is actually a health risk. IIRC brucellosis. In fact a child died a couple of months ago after drinking raw milk.
    Herd sharing is one of the methods used here to get around the regulations. Another is to sell raw milk as “Bath milk” and marked not fit for consumption. It was bath milk the child drank. After that incident, moves are afoot to add a bittering agent to bath milk.

It is possible to sell cheese made from raw milk, but only if the cheese itself is pasteurised, and only after jumping through many bureaucratic hoops. And that is a recent change to the regulations.

However, as with “under cooked” pork, the risk is much lower than the perception of the risk. I personally think that the end consumer ( or parent in the case above) should be allowed to make the decision. And bear the consequences. After all Europe has lived with raw milk products for centuries if not millennia and show no signs of dying out just yet.

@Laura
    Yes a lot of cheddar cheese is nothing to write home about. But a good aged artisanal cheddar is sublime. Though we don’t call it cheddar here anymore. It is now “Tasty” cheese. Unless of course it has been imported from England. It has fallen foul of the region of origin laws. Oddly, Parmesan, Edam, Brie and Mozzarella are still permitted. It must have to do with a specific agreement with the Brits. I must say I am glad that Kraft processed cheese is no longer labelled “Cheddar” as it was in my childhood. That block of plastic bears no relationship to any known foodstuff. Let alone a good Cheddar.

HelenAdams
    Participant

In Canada people call it plastic cheese:) Many actually ask for it.

gteague
    Participant

you don’t want to hear about how poor we were growing up (!) but not only did the churches give us all those 5-year-old cans of green beans people donated, we were eligible to get food from the government warehouse across town. problem was that we had no way to get there unless my grandmother rode the bus and she couldn’t carry very much out.

but i remember her coming home with these huge blocks of what i believe was the generic or government contract version of ‘velveeta’. square and a sickly orangish-yellow in color. you could use the stuff for glue or to caulk your boat! i hate to think of what would ever dislodge it from your arteries.

anyway, although i love cheese, i’ve detested anything that remotely looks like that crud and i’ll only rarely buy the sandwich-cut slices–even if they’re swiss or provolone.

i’ve only recently recovered from my hatred of green beans and if they’re not canned and they’re cooked perfectly and have mushrooms and bacon in them, i can now eat them without blanching.

?guy

Anonymous
    Participant

You’re not alone with the green beans. I’ll only eat them in a stir fry.

HelenAdams
    Participant

Well I occasionally will have Cheese Whiz and crackers and once I had very delicious mac and cheese made with Velveeta I was told. But it didn’t look or taste like Velveeta. And every so often I buy a box of Kraft dinner, but can never bring myself to actually cook it.

I keep wanting to try the tuna pasta that Greg likes so much, but memories of Tuna Casseroles Past intervene.

Cheese Whiz truly is plastic cheese I think as it lasts forever without even changing colour.

Anonymous
    Participant

I detest canned tuna with a vengeance. Gives it to us fresh and RAWWW! I only made the tuna pasta at Pam’s insistence. Proof that she has poor taste is obvious from the fact that she puts up with me.

Of course I got my revenge by insisting that the anchovies stay. She was all for removing them. There is now one dish she will eat anchovies in. And one dish I will eat canned tuna in.

gteague
    Participant

sounds like a viable compromise to me! i can just barely tolerate canned tuna and only if it has oil and not water in it.

as i’ve said, i’ll literally eat anything that comes out of the water that doesn’t eat me first, so i have no objection to anchovies except that after a couple of decades of avoiding salt due to high bp, an anchovy is just a total all-out assault on my salt sensors.

i do like tuna casserole though if it’s done right. although i couldn’t define ‘right’ except that ‘right’ is when i like it.

matter of fact i was thinking just the other day that my pasta and meatballs successes might be modified to use tuna instead of the meatballs. still researching the feasibility of that although i haven’t the faintest idea of how much further i’d have to go to turn it into tuna casserole.

HelenAdams
    Participant

So Guy how are you. Hope everything is Ok.

gteague
    Participant

hey @helen! i was just about to come back over here and ping you and @greg. for several weeks i had horrible trouble with these forums and every time i came back to reply i couldn’t log in. after a few weeks i quit trying it frustrated me so much. i get a list of topics every day and i could read the new stuff, but i couldn’t reply.

it let me login today, so we’ll see if this reply shows up.

i haven’t been plowing much new ground in cooking–just trying to get the fundamentals down. but the iphone app frustrates me beyond belief. i need to use it to record my recipes and it fights me at every turn. they updated it a couple of weeks ago and perhaps improved some of the bad spots, but they destroyed the bluetooth communications and now it won’t talk to my pot if it’s more than 10′ away. at least with the old version i would walk around my house, now i can’t even walk out of the kitchen.

and i got thrown off the facebook group for complaining about the skills of foreign programmers, so i’ve been on my own with the timing charts and without a group. [g]

not looking forward to winter–i’m already freezing. i have no idea how you cope.

/guy

gteague
    Participant

you guys seen this? i notice anova added a wifi version to their sv model, but their app is even more crappy than the ip one so if it doesn’t work over bt, why would you need to try to use it over the internet? [g]

https://www.chefsteps.com/joule?utm_source=ChefSteps&utm_campaign=03ab18a7cf-joule_announce&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a61ebdcaa6-03ab18a7cf-131098785

/guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

Good you are okay. Greg and I were both wondering “Whatever happened to Guy”
    Due to long term problems you don’t actually have to log in now. And even if you can log in, which I usually can, you have to hit control+refresh to see new content. PITA.
    Poor Laura must moderate every post so they may show up days later or not at all.

I had not seen the Chefsteps wand. Love the small size. Do not love having no actual control panel on cooker.
    Won’t buy anything sold in USD these days because of the 30% exchange rate.

I don’t think you are missing much from the Instant Pot Facebook group. Very repetitive, very judgemental, lots of misinformation and they will ban people who dare to like another brand too much:(

I prefer to stay away from Facebook but occasionally I look at some. Chefsteps has a nice facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Chefsteps/
    I have seen a few things that I thought would be perfect for you.

Again glad you are okay. Think I can speak for Greg as well in saying we have missed your long but often informative and amusing posts. In fact we discussed you here as wel as the Anova App.

The Food Lab Cookbook

gteague
    Participant

yeah, i noticed the ‘show new’ button has disappeared and the times shown sometimes don’t reflect the newest posts.

also, remember me complaining for several months that my computer was dying? and i kept putting off installing the new one? well, the old imac finally died and we took it out back and shot it–no one even wanted the parts. and the new one took forever to get running because every single app (and i have hundreds) complained when started up on new hardware and/or wanted authentication again and i had two-factor authentication set up on a lot of stuff which is a real pain to move to new hardware.

also, none of my two dozen radio would work because i moved the usb hub/buss and to this day i only have about two of them running again because they run under vmware (the win7 virtual ‘machine’) and troubleshooting the usb, since it uses the mac usb ports, is not fun.

but the upside is the new 5k retina mac is fantastic even though it was a year old before it got baptized. and i have some new usb3 devices for it and new external drives and even a san (storage area network) 3tb drive hanging off the router formatted half for ntfs to support my two windows portables and half for mac hfs+ although i can read the ntfs from my mac and mac hfs+ from windows with a nifty utility. /guy

HelenAdams
    Participant

Hmmm… I went through a similar thing when I installed Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3. Tried it for 1 week, didn’t like it, big memory hog, ugly and very buggy. Think early Vista. Then it wouldn’t let me rollback because I had a Microsoft account. Go figure. Has me and some acquaintances, one who is actually a Microsoft IT person thinking to buy an IOS device:(
    Scary stuff but I will no doubt try the next upgrade in a week or so. Foolish and stubborn are my middle names.

gteague
    Participant

a friend turned me onto a refurb deal from newegg for a lenova laptop for $210. built like a tank and looked like it had just come out of the box although it was some years old–maybe new-old-stock. the t420.

it came with 4gb of memory and i added 8gb to that and found a spare battery and a dock on ebay for $30. and it came with win7 64-bit which is one of the best of the ms offerings since xp.

here it is at $250:

http://bit.ly/1Td9aDC

i think it was a total steal. the battery life is about 5 hours and with two batteries i can last hours and hours in a power failure which is the primary reason (besides traveling) i picked this up. with 12mb ram it just flies but then again i put my copy of win7 on it to avoid any of the crapware/adware.

/guy

gteague
    Participant

i also got one of these. it’s a miniature pc just barely larger than my iphone with a full copy of win10 on it and usb and hdmi ports, a fingerprint reader (!) and even an internal battery which will run it for 4 hours. comes with a tiny dock as well and they promise to release docks with other features in the future.

the nice bonus is that you can attach it to your ipad and use the display and keyboard. or to your tv using hdmi. this is going to travel with my ipad from now on and might even be better than carrying the laptop in some cases.

http://bit.ly/1lI6C5s

/guy

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Welcome back, Guy! I’m sorry you were having problems with the forums.

Wordpress made some security updates to the way people register and it’s been very painful for new people to register and post/comment. I made it OK to post with just an e-mail address, but I have to approve all of those manually because we’re getting hundreds of SPAM messages a day this way. If one is logged-in their posts and comments appear automatically as before (unless there’s a URL in the post). I have to manually approve every post and comment from people who are not logged-in.

Also, I amped-up the caching as we’re getting in the busy pressure cooking season, again!

I had plans to send you an e-mail later to day to see if everything was ok – but am glad to see you made your way back here and it was only a technical issue keepiing you away!

Ciao,

L

gteague
    Participant

ciao laura! good to be back. tks for working so diligently for us as you always do. grazie millione! /guy (guido)

Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.