Ooops! AD Blocker Detected

This content is FREE because it is supported by advertisements. Please deactivate - or whitelist our site - with your Ad blocker to read it. We appreciate your support and hope you'll find the recipes and info worthwhile the small bother of ads. Ciao! L

home Forums Recipe Conversions Fresh Ginger Syrup

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  tweakz 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

lumpynose
    Participant

How long would you cook this in an electric pressure cooker? I’m guessing half the time, 22 minutes say.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2013/09/fresh-ginger-syrup-recipe/

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Ciao Lumpy!

Yes, 20 minutes with natural release – you don’t want hot syrup to shoot out of the pressure valve. I would even lower the water quantity because he has 4 cups of water that boil for 45 minutes I would reduce the water by a cup as well.

What a fun recipe!

L

September Gurl
    Participant

I made this excellent recipe last night and I am currently making a second batch. Reducing the liquid to 3 cups and cooking for 22 minutes was accurate. Ginger syrup makes a great hot toddy with the addition of lemon juice and hot water. A snog of bourbon wouldn’t hurt either. When it is time for holiday baking I will be peeling the ginger as the diced cooked ginger will be a perfect addition to ginger bread and cookies.

Annette
    Participant

I made this last night, too, using half of the ingredients (sadly, I’m the only one in this household who really likes ginger). I didn’t read the recipe’s comments until I was done – someone asks David if he cooks this with the lid on or off, and he says that he leaves the lid off for the syrup to thicken. (Which would account for the original 4 cups of liquid turning into 2 cups of syrup.) Which probably means reducing the liquid to two, not three, cups when doing this in the pressure cooker.
    So my syrup is not thick at all but still very tasty and not supersweet. Had it with sparkling water for soda, and I’ve been adding it to black tea (1 tbl per cup).
    I cooked it for 25 min at High Pressure w/ natural release. Btw, I did peel the ginger before cutting it up, and it kept its shape pretty well, so I’ve been snacking on sweet/spicy ginger matchsticks. Nice!

darkow
    Participant

Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to try this in some tea :)

erica
    Participant

I just did this today, and it turned out really good. I used 3 cups of water, but I think I might reduce to 2 1/2 cups next time. The ginger is so good too; like the best candied ginger I’ve ever had! I might try drying it to see how it turns out.

tweakz
    Participant

The original recipe calls for a non reactive sauce pan (pressure cookers aren’t non reactive). There is however a PIP (pan in pot) method that could be used, using something like Pyrex.

Anonymous
    Participant

Actually if you check Dave’s post, you will see that he considers stainless steel to be non reactive, so, a modern PC should be ok.
    [quote]It means to use cookware made of a material that will not react with acidic ingredients. The most common nonreactive cookware is made with a stainless-steel finish and will not discolor or pit when used with acidic ingredients. You can see from the two saucepans above, the finish on the one on the left (nonreactive stainless-steel) has remained intact and has not pitted, whereas the lining and finish (reactive) in the copper pan has become worn off.[/quote]
    (I am hoping BB tags work here)
    The page I quote from is
    http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2013/04/what-is-nonreactive-reactive-cookware/

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

You are both right!

Aluminum pressure cookers are reactive while stainless steel ones are not.

Ciao,

L

tweakz
    Participant

I was kinda wrong: I was under the impression that SS could leach nickel –
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1763555

Anonymous
    Participant

We all get things wrong now and again. I know for years I thought aluminium contributed to Alzheimers. It has since been proven that it doesn’t. But I still don’t use aluminium cookware unless it has a non stick coating..

For others who may be reading this,
    Tweaks pointed to a research paper that looked into nickel leaching from stainless steel pot. The articles conclusion was:

no nickel release from the stainless steel cooking pots into the food was found.

But this is all moot for the OP. Lumpynose was using an electric PC. This probably has a non stick coating as most of them do.

It does have the advantage that it brought this post to my attention. I have a batch on the stove (2.5L KR) as we speak. Though I used 3 Cups of water. I should have read further and used 2.5.

tweakz
    Participant

Thanks Greg, I should have summarized the article as it was a bit lengthy. I still don’t trust aluminum much, but I think I’d feel safer with anodized aluminum than non stick.

Surprised to see how many others here love ginger. =)

Anonymous
    Participant

The syrup is now off the stove and cooling down. Initial taste test says delicious straight. As are the remnant solids. Definitely a bit too watery though. It didn’t work well with Bourbon and lemon juice. A little honey fixed the problem.

I live in Australia. Ginger has always been a mainstream ingredient here.
    Ginger biscuits (cookies to Americans). Crystallized ginger, Ginger coated chocolate, Ginger beer (I have memories of exploding bottles in the laundry). Then there is the fresh ginger used in cooking. I even put ginger in my Spag Bol. The list goes on and on.

As for non stick coatings, I see reports now and then. They are almost always brand X saying “Buy ours” and that “Brand Y is no good because use they the old fashioned XSHU coating which every one knows is deadly”. My understanding is that non stick coatings work because they are extremely inert chemically. This would mean that they should be safe to ingest, particularly in the minute quantities scraped off a pan. I admit I haven’t looked, but I do pay attention to science and health reports. And I have never heard any credible independent reports on their toxicity. On the other hand I HAVE made anodized aluminium. Are you aware of the witches brew used in the manufacture?

PS I think we are getting a bit far off topic.

Jonilyn
    Participant

Just made this syrup. Used 2.5 cups of water to 8 oz. of peeled ginger and 2 cups of sugar. Cooked 22 min in my Instant Pot Duo. Got 3.5 cups of syrup. Seems like a lot. Was hoping for thicker and more “gingery” syrup. It tastes fine mixed it with fresh lime juice, ice, and carbonated water. A very refreshing drink.

tweakz
    Participant

It’s been almost 2 months sitting in my fridge. I only got around to using it once on the first day for a rice dish. Was going to make space in my fridge, but had to sample it first. Wow: it’s so freakin’ delicious fermented! Back in the fridge it went! -Thanks to all those that worked on converting the recipe!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.