home Forums Problems or Issues Has anyone successfully pressure cooked semolina (aka cream of wheat)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Hi Guys,

I’ve been doing various tests with semolina in the pressure cooker for two years. I’ve tried different ratios, cooking times, bain marie method, with butter, without butter – no matter what I do it comes out lumpy and just not as good as what I can do it conventionally (for Gnocchi alla Romana).

I was convinced, that similar to polenta, pressure cooking semolina would mean less stirring (as semolina needs even MORE stirring than polenta) and faster results. Instead I get a lumpy mess with a scorched bottom (even using the polenta technique to not close the lid until the contents boil).

The reason I post this is that SOMEONE must have been able to cook semolina in the pressure cooker – otherwise why would it’s cooking time be listed in several pressure cooking manuals (which is how it ended up on our timing chart) or why would there be a recipe for it in a 1950’s Pressure Cooker Recipe booklet from Lagostina (which I tried and it failed)?!?

So let’s hear it if you did it!

Otherwise, we’ll have to concur that semolina can only be used in a cake/pudding batter but not cooked on its own and I’ll have to remove it from the pressure cooking time chart!

So, have any of you mastered the dark arts of pressure cooking semolina?!?!

Ciao,

L

mwixiwm
    Participant

have you tried the pot in a pot method? I combine 1 cup of almond milk, a little salt, 3T of cream of wheat in a heatproof bowl small enough to fit in my electric pressure cooker, then I put it on the trivet with 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pressure cooker pan. I use high pressure for 12 minutes and it comes out maybe a little lumpy, but nothing that a quick whisk couldn’t fix I think. No scorching or anything.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I tried bain marie – but not for such a long time. What kind of release do you use?

Ciao,

L

KitchenNostalgia
    Participant

I’ve experimented with cooking semolina in electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot). I’ve found out that the trick seems to be in the way you release the pressure. When I used quick pressure release, semolina was lumpy and horrible. When I used natural pressure release, it turned out perfectly smooth with no lumps at all. I explained it to details in my Semolina Pudding blog post.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Wow, it looks delicious! I’m going to try it. So, I see your trick is to use hot milk and pan in pot. Interesting! Thanks for sharing this.

Ciao,

L

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.