home Forums Pressure Cookers Hawkins and Prestige cookers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dale T
    Participant

My mum taught me how to pressure cook when I was a boy. We made rice and beans and vegies and many bone broth stock soups way before they became fashionable again. I have always used Prestige and Hawkins pressure cookers. When I got married my wife said “I do ” to pressure cookers too. Recently I saw my beloved “hawkins” 5 litre cooker in a wonderful stainless steel induction stove ready version for $99AUD. I tried other cookers but the seals that didn’t last cost so much and I gave up and went back to hawkins. If you buy one you need to NEVER take off the weight while it is under pressure. You can push it sideways to let steam escape BUT NEVER pull it off. Wait until all pressure is gone (test by pushing it sideways) The rest is covered well on this site and others. I am not affiliated with hawkins or Prestige in any way -I just like teir stuff. Especially now that their simple design is in beautiful stainless steel. Today I made the wheat and gluten bread in glazed orchid pots and I was very happy with the results. I am going through the hawkins recipe book that came with the cooker. Does anybody else use them or need help. Some of the old ones are quite large. 5 Litres is my preferred size but I have a smaller prestige that I bought in India very cheaply that I keep in the motorhome. Happy cooking. I would love to hear from anybody else who owns one of these cookers.

Dale T
    Participant

Here is the photo of the new cooker

4Eyes
    Participant

Thanks for sharing Dale.

I must admit that even though I own an electric pressure cooker, and love the convenience of it, I am intrigued by the Hawkins. I have a small Tower stovetop already, which works just fine, but I like ‘mechanical gadgetry’ and the Hawkins design appeals to me for that reason… may end up giving in and getting one.

FWIW, even after I bought a decent digital SLR, I still used my old twin lens reflex film camera – I can’t defend the logic, probably a ‘boys liking toys’ thing.

Dale T
    Participant

Hi 4 eyes.

Because the lid of the pressure cooker is oval you have to turn it 90 degrees to get it off. This is impossible to do while there is any pressure left in the cooker. The more pressure there is the more the lid is pushed closed. I had a few of them including a huge one but the “aluminium thing” kept me away. When I saw the stainless steel version with induction cooker -I couldnt wait to get my hands on one. All you might need in 20 years is a safety valve or an o ring. I only did a safet valve when trying to make my own Kentucky Fried Chicken -just don’t do it lol. I just want to get a good corned Brisket to cook in there and then cook cabbage and potatoes in the corned beef water -mmmmm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.