home Forums Welcome to Pressure Cooking School! How can I use my Instant Pot (DUO60) to bring one gallon of milk to 180 degrees?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paris Lovett
    Participant

I have the Instant Pot DUO60. I want to make yogurt. If I use the “Boil” function it only brings the milk to 150 degrees. I want to bring it to 180 degrees. Is there a setting I can use that will bring a gallon of milk close to 180 degrees? (Also want to minimize burning the milk). THANKS!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

The temperature sensor is in the base, and what it is doing is measuring the temperature of the milk right next to the base, not the rest near the top (where you measured 150). For so much milk you need to stir it constantly so that the hotter milk, right at the base, and the colder milk, near the top, remain mixed. It’s counter-intuitive because as you know heat rises – but with a viscous liquid the heat has a harder time moving to the top and needs the help to get there.

Ciao,

L

michelabelle
    Participant

i make yogurt once a week and use the saute function to bring organic, whole milk to 185 F, stirring occasionally so solids don’t form at the bottom. after bringing the temp down to 105 in an ice bath and adding the cultures, i use the YOGURT function for incubation.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.