home Forums Recipe Swap RECIPE: Hybrid Pulled Pork

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jcn4096
    Participant

I have been working on a pulled pork recipe that can be done in far less time than a traditional cooking style while still retaining that deep smoky flavor that is the hall mark of a good pulled pork sandwich. Here is what I came up with. This is a hybrid method that will be done in 4 hours of cooking time with about 15 – 20 minutes of prep time.

Step 1: The rub

My basic rub I apply to cut chinks of pork shoulder and leave it in the refrigerator overnight. Feel free to use your own favorite rub or use my basic rub below. This is enough for about 4 – 5 lbs of meat.

1T salt
    1t black pepper
    1/2t cayenne pepper
    1T Paprika
    2t garlic powder
    2t onion powder
    2t ground mustard
    2T brown sugar
    1T granulated sugar
    1/2t Oregano

Next day, take the pork out of the fridge and place it in a smoker for 3 hours.
    I use a combination of hickory, alder, and oak whiskey aging barrels for my smoke.

After the three hours in the smoker, place the pork chunks in your pressure cooker. (I have an Instant Pot) I add roughly, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar to the cooker. Cook under pressure for 40 – 45 mins and leave 15 – 20 minutes before release.

Skin the fat off the juice and use the juice it to moisten the meat or mix it in with your BBQ sauce for a flavorful smoky boost.

In my humble opinion, this actually tasted better than a traditional 11 hour low and slow pulled pork. The only downfall is no pork bark, however, no one but me has ever noticed……

Feel free to make any comments to improve this recipe or suggest a variant.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

I got hungry just reading your recipe. It sounds smoky and tender.

Do you braise or steam the smoked pork in the pressure cooker?

Thanks for sharing it!

Ciao,

L

jcn4096
    Participant

The results were very smoky and tender. The bone pulled out with no meat attached after cooking. The fat and collagen melted perfectly into the meat so it was a delight to eat. I hate dry pulled pork!! ;)

I braised the meat in the cooker. Meat chunks cut to 3″ – 4 ” pieces.

Also, sorry for the typos in my original post. Corrections below.

1) My basic rub I apply to cut chunks of pork

2) Skim the fat off the juice

Lastly, I wanted this to be done in 4 hours. There is no reason you can’t leave the meat in the smoker longer for a more robust smoke flavor or take it out earlier for a more subtle flavor. 3 hours worked very well for me.

I hope some of you pressure cooking fans give this recipe a try, I think you will find it just as tasty as pulled pork taking 11 hours…. Don’t be shy about leaving feedback even if it is just to say you tried it….

Anonymous
    Participant

Looks absolutely delicious. Shame I don’t have a smoker. Or room for one. Or I would give it a whirl. I have to use liquid smoke to come even close.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.