home Forums Beginner Basics indicator bar vs. a pressure selector

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jannn
    Participant

Hey all of you :)

I’m thinking about buying a new pressure cooker. Mine is way too large for daily use :) This current one has a pressure selector which works great.

In our kitchen we have an old styly electrical stove top. Which works great, but controlling temperature is a disaster.

Do you think a pressure cooker with and indicator bar (like WMF perfect and Kuhn Rikon Duromatic) will work? My guess is that they won’t really on a stove top that takes minutes to get to a certain temperature.

Most of the current sold high end pressure cooker do have a indicator bar though. So if it isn’t possible, i will have to buy a cheaper one.

I would love to here your opinion :)

Warm greetings from Belgium,

Jan

Suzanne
    Participant

Greetings, Jan.

I have an electric coil stovetop and use a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker with an indicator bar (not the “Top” model) on it. They work very well together.

The speed at which your pressure cooker heats should not affect the function of your pressure indicator bar. If pressure is building, regardless of how fast, the bar will rise.

You say controlling heat on your stove is a disaster. I’m not sure if you mean the speed at which burners heat/cool is slow, or if getting/maintaining the precise burner temperature you want is difficult. The speed concern would not be an issue. But you’ll need to be able to achieve exactly the heat level you want to use the Kuhn Rikon. This cooker requires precise burner heat to maintain pressure at a stable level. If your burners don’t allow you to make subtle heat adjustments or your burners aren’t consistent/reliable, then you would have to adjust the burner heat far too often during a single cook. But if you are able to dial in and maintain subtle changes in heat level on your stovetop, then it may work well with a KR cooker. (My burners are controlled with dials.)

If speediest cooking is important, when I’m making a big batch of soup/stew, I just heat up most of the liquid in the microwave while the cooker is heating the remaining liquid/contents. Then I’ll add the boiling liquid and lock on the lid. That way, pressure starts building faster.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :-)

Greg
    Participant

Welcome Jann,
    What Suzanne said.
    To which I will add:
    If your stove is a disaster when it comes to adjusting temperature, you may be best served picking up an Electric model rather than a stovetop.

I had a stovetop like that once. It took forever to heat anything up, then it would continue to heat the kitchen well into the night. A simmer? Forget it! It was before I got a pressure cooker, but it was such a nightmare, in the end I threw it out and replaced it with gas cooktop. But I know that is not an option if you are renting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.