home Forums Welcome to Pressure Cooking School! Instant Pot Modes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shannon
    Participant

Hi Laura,

I have really enjoyed watching your videos and have benefitted from the knowledge you have shared. I have tried many of your recipes and they have all worked out great. After using the Instant Pot for about six months, I am still perplexed by the various modes to choose from. I have an Instant Pot Ultra and in another home use the the Duo Mini.

I go to cook chicken, most all recipes say to use the manual mode, not the poultry option.
    I go to make wild rice and it says everywhere to use manual mode, not the rice or multigrain option.
    When I look up the best way to cook broccoli or most any vegetable, the recipes say to use manual mode instead of “Steam”

The only mode that I have had a use for outside of the manual pressure cook mode, is the sterilize function. I use this to clean my infant’s bottles.

So my question is: Why so many modes, when the majority of recipes call for the manual setting? and is there a time and place to use these other modes?

Thanks

Greg
    Participant

Hi Shannon,
    You may not realise it, but Instant Pot is not the only brand of electric pressure cooker out there. Laura does not write her recipes for Instant Pot, but for all pressure cookers. Because the presets may vary from one brand to another, she guarantees success by using manual mode rather than a preset which may or may not work on a different brand.

All the presets do is set the pressure level and time. And on some models, release method. If your preset happens to coincide with the time and pressure the recipe specifies, by all means use it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.