home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot Instant Pot SMART Android App and firmware update

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Just a quick note to let you know that I’ve heard from Instant Pot that the SMART Android App release will be delayed until April/May. The release date will coincide with the shipment of the new batch of SMARTs (they are out of stock right now).

Instant Pot is making additional unplanned user-requested updates such as the ability to add instructions and photos to the recipe scripts. So, it will take them a little longer to get the Android app completed with these new additions.

Also, a firmware update for the 1st batch of SMARTs is in the works. This is a non-critical optional update that adds the “Cool to a temperature” command – the SMART will wait (not turn on the heating element anymore) until the temperature inside is cooled to the target temp (i.e. Natural Pressure Release). There won’t be any active refrigerator-style cooling going on – just natural, passive cooling.

Currently, the SMART skips any “Heat to a temperature” script steps if the chosen temperature is lower than the cooker’s current temperature.

The firmware update will be in the form of a new control panel that is affixed to the front of the Instant Pot – it is free but the IP SMART owners must pay the mailing costs. Installing the firmware update means removing the old and installing the new control panel by yourself (with the provided instructions). The firmware update control panel will not fit on previous models (DUO or LUX).

As soon as the process and details for the firmware update are announced, I’ll let you know. Also, I will try to do it myself and let you know how it goes. : )

The new batch of SMARTs (sold starting April/May 2015) will already have the updated firmware installed.

Ciao,

L

HelenAdams
    Participant

Interesting. I was pretty sure they had just given up. Glad I am wrong.

It is a great item but could be just so much better with a few small improvements.

I wonder if Instant Pot knows just how lucky they are to have you.

Helen

Jonilyn
    Participant

Here, here, I’m with Helen re Laura. So love pressure cooking thanks to Laura. Never dreamt I would use pressure cookers almost exclusively in my kitchen. I’ve come a long way from gingerly using my jiggle top PC once or twice a year for 20 years.

Hope Instant Pot will offer their $189 price again for the next Bluetooth model. Fingers crossed!

HelenAdams
    Participant

Will installing the new control panel void the warranty? I am pretty good at DIY electronic/electrical but I have a two year warranty through my credit card company. Don’t want to jeopardise that.

OT: @jonilyn. You are very helpful as well. I always read your posts.

Helen

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thanks ladies, I like working with them as well – the founder and myself both come from “tech” and that makes it a little easier for us to work together.

It’s not impossible but it’s a little trickier working with the marketing & pr people of more established manufactures as they’re more used to dealing with bloggers and retailers and not other professionals.

Right now, with another manufacturer, I’m dealing with three different jr-level people who don’t talk to eachother and must all go back to the same person to get any decisions made. So, it can be time-consuming and frustrating to deal with these situations.

Another, even more established manufacturer, tells me things like, “we can discuss it next year,” in June!

So… I’m either herding cats or pushing old stodgy mud up-hill to get anything done with other companies. While Instant Pot has a tech start-up mentality and they move really fast (for houseware) and I get to talk directly to the decision-maker – without any pretense or gatekeepers to slow things down.

Your appreciation and the end-result, a better product, makes the hassles worthwhile.

Helen, good question about the Warranty – I’ll ask.

Ciao,

L

mcarana
    Participant

This is very exciting news, Laura! Thanks, so very much, for keeping us updated. I can’t wait to hear more about the improvements that will be made to the app and firmware. Instant Pot is a great product even without the Blue Tooth features, but the ability to use my smart phone to manage cooking programs makes it phenomenal! And your prompt and consistent follow-up to user inquiries and requests makes YOU a ROCK STAR, Laura! You’re a pressure cooker cook’s best friend!!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

The latest from Instant Pot…

…changing the control panel will not void the warranty.

Ciao,

L

inabech
    Participant

Great news. Hopefully, this will allow us to program the entire yogurt making cycle as we discussed in the Forum last December. Thanks for your persistence in urging the instsntPot manufacturers to add this capability.

skymom
    Participant

Thank you for keeping everyone up to date on Instant Pot news Laura!

Do you know if the control panel update will allow future firmware updates to be done via software update only going forward? (It’s very inefficient to have to replace hardware to get firmware updates). It would be great if they had some way to send an update to the device, since it’s IP connected. (e.g. my Wemo, Tivo, Smart TV, etc. all do this). It also would make it more cost effective and competitive for Instant Pot.

I want the IP-Smart version very much, but if they stick to a hardware based firmware update approach, I’m concerned that the future potential for improvements is limited.

Do your Instant Pot contacts have a read on this?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

skymom, I know that compared to Tivo, etc. it sounds like a firmware update by replacing hardware is behind-the-times. Keep in mind that Instant pot is cookware and with with ANY OTHER electric pressure cooker, the only way to get an update is to buy a whole new pressure cooker.

So firmware updates are not only new, but also ecologically sound. It’s a step that moves away from the “disposable electric pressure cooker” mindset that has dominated the pressure cooking landscape for much too long. My understanding is that and the construction and memory of the SMART panel will never support remote updates. Will they do it in future models? Maybe.

They’re not planning any additional firmware updates but it’s easy enough for them to improve the app – which can update itself.

Instant Pot is unique because unlike any other pressure cooker manufacturer, who have a 5-year product development cycle for new model introductions, they introduce a new model every 18 months – and they want to accelerate that, too.

I would not let the lack of remote update keep you from getting an Instant Pot if you really want one. Remember that bread makers, coffee machines and digital toaster ovens cannot update their firmware remotely, either.

Ciao,

L

P.S. I worked for Tivo 15+ years ago. Back then everyone was still primarily using modems without wi-fi and I had to figure out how to schedule programs remotely from the website and get the latest information on a box that would only “call in” to download the latest programming schedule once a day. The brightest programming minds of Silicon Valley could not get around hardware limitations. Cookware is in a similar nascent connection phase with limited, primitive hardware- eventually it will catch-up with other electronics!

skymom
    Participant

Laura,

I agree with you 100%! These are early days for devices like this, and I made the mistake that having “IP” in the model name meant “Internet Protocol” not “IP” for “Instant Pot” model numbers. So I realize now that it’s really just Bluetooth that is used to connect, not Bluetooth as well as IP.

I do remember when Tivo relied on telephone connections (at night, reminds me of “batch processing” in the earlier tech days – everything evolves!). It must have been exciting to be part of that in its early days. As we move into the era of “The Internet of Things” – we’ll see technology used in new and limitless ways, and I applaud Instant Pot for being leading edge on this compared to the competition.

I’m sure we could swap stories about how far things have come, and it’s just getting started. I remember the days of punch cards to write programs, when a character cell terminal was bleeding edge. Yikes! :-)

I’ve got my Instant Pot Smart on order, with great savings thanks to your coupon. I love its versatility and want to try Sous Vide in addition to the other great options for this appliance.

Thank you for your thoughtful response,

Skymom

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Oh wow… I hadn’t thought of IP being misunderstood – that’s great information that I will pass on to Instant Pot, especially when they’re promoting a “connected” pressure cooker the model number might mislead some people.

I, personally, cannot bring myself to use “PC” when referring to pressure cookers! It’s just too ingrained as “Personal Computer” to me. But it can be laborious to write and read “pressure cooker” every time one is mentioned.

Editorially, I mention “pressure cooker” at the start of a paragraph and then call it a “cooker” the rest of the time. ; )

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Someone asked me, in another topic, to give an update on the firmware update (sorry I couldn’t find the discussion).

Instant Pot has ordered 100 extra panels to be used for firmware updates for the first batch of Instant Pot SMART (sold before May 2015). At that time I’ll share how to apply for this firmware update.

As stated at the top of this topic, this update something that you will have to install yourself. If you stop half-way you won’t have a working Instant Pot. So think carefully whether the additional function (step-down-to-temperature) is worth the risk.

As always, I’ll post more info as I get it.

Ciao,

L

Bob Z
    Participant

Just received this update from Instant Pot

The android app will be available sometime in June/July. Our team is working very hard to deliver the android app.

Kind Regards,

Kind regards,
    Diana
    Instant Pot Company, http://instantpot.com/
    11 – 300 Earl Grey Dr. Suite 383
    Ottawa, ON, Canada K2T 1C1
    Tel: +1 800 828-7280 ext 2. Fax: +1 613 800-0726

Chapin
    Participant

“Instant Pot is unique because unlike any other pressure cooker manufacturer, who have a 5-year product development cycle for new model introductions, they introduce a new model every 18 months – and they want to accelerate that, too.”

When do you think the next model is due and what will it include above and beyond the existing models? When did the “Smart” come out?

Should I buy a “Smart” now or wait for the “Smarter”?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

They are actually taking longer for the next release – they are adding some new functions and want to make sure they work properly.

I can’t tell you anymore than that until Instant Pot is ready to release information about the next model publically. : )

Ciao,

L

Chapin
    Participant

Understood, thank you.

Can you make a vague estimate, months, quarters, or years?

Will the new features and functionality be “must have” features?

Would you recommend waiting?

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

My personal opinion, since you asked, is that if you want to get an electric pressure cooker, you should get one.

There will always be a better, newer one down the line. The DUO is solid, the SMART is the DUO with programmable bells and whistles. Either one will give you more features than you may know what to do with.

The biggest regret I’ve seen from cooks is not “oh, I didn’t get that last feature” but… “why did I wait so long to start pressure cooking?!?!”.

Ciao,

L

HelenAdams
    Participant

@chapin
    Totally agree with Laura. I bought the Smart because of the Bluetooth but did not know at the time it does not work with regular Bluetooth. So I still cannot use the app.
    To be honest other than a gadgetry addiction I just don’t care, at least not enough to buy an additional cellphone/tablet.
    I bought the IP Smart in 2014, have used it a lot, now have two manual pressure cookers as well.

I am very happy with it but don’t think it is the best electrical PC. My advice is to get the DUO. Actually better than the Smart in many ways. If price doesn’t matter perhaps the Breville Fast Slow Pro.

Buy the best or buy the cheapest and it is still hard to go wrong. The IP Duo is a good compromise and personally I feel it is actually better than the Smart these days.

bobcat7
    Participant

Seriously considering the Smart, but wondering if the firmware update has been done yet or should I just go with the duo? Just have an old stove top pressure cooker now and the bottom is warped so it should be replaced.

Thank you.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Bobcat, the firmware update was taken-care of with a re-call. All of the Instant Pots for sale today have the correct firmware.

Ciao,

L

bobpaul
    Participant

The “Cool to temperature” command they added is “Pause”, correct?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.