home Forums Pressure Cookers Instant Pot Instant Pot Smart Cooker Bone Broth script issue

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    momowack
    Participant

Hi Laura, Just wanted to pass this on- I don’t know if the scripts aren’t transferring correctly or if it’s my new Smart Pot, but when I made rice the other day the Smart monitor showed low pressure throughout the cooking time, and today I’m doing your bone stock which calls for high pressure but the monitor is showing low again. The temperature inside of the pot is hanging from 208-212 degrees.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

momowack, when you say “the monitor” do you mean the icon on the front of the pot or the status page of the app?

The Bone Broth script is written to bring the pressure cooker to pressure three times for 30 minutes, and between those, three times to “no pressure”. It goes up and down during the whole process to keep the contents moving.

Ciao,

L

momowack
    Participant

Laura, I mean the monitor in the app on my iphone says that the pot is on low pressure. I understand the sequences (30 minutes at high pressure then rest for 20) and what I am saying is that on the “Status” page of the app on my phone, the pot is at low pressure verses high. Sorry for not being more clear on that in my original post :) I monitored the temperature on all three cycles of “high pressure for 30” and they varied from 204-212 degrees. Don’t know if that’s high pressure or low pressure at the moment.
    – Also at one point during making the bone broth, the time remaining on the front of the Smart Pot was completely different with what the status monitor on the app said. The pot said 4 something minutes and the app status monitor was frozen at 1 something minutes.
    When I made rice using the script on the app for Perfect Basmati, the script calls for high pressure and the status monitor on the app indicated low pressure throughout. Something wonky is going on I feel :/

Wildhair
    Participant

I had the same issue yesterday when running the script, the pressure indicated “low” for all three 30 minute pressure cooking cycles.

I’m very new to the smart pot so haven’t played around with creating my own steps yet to see if I can get it to the high setting.

The bone broth was amazing however!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Thanks for reporting this,too, Wildhair (can’t wait to see your profile pic : ). I’m actually running the bone broth script now. I’ve got the in-laws coming for dinner and we’re just going to “soup it” tonight but I wanted a really flavorful broth as a base.

I’m seeing that it says “low” pressure now, but the temperature is rising so I’ll keep an eye on it to see if it ever gets to “high” during the process.

I think we found an “app” bug! Will report back when the script is finished and then let Instant Pot know.

Ciao,

L

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

OK, I wanted to confirm that I had the same “problem” – when the Bone Broth Script was running at high pressure the Instant Pot App was saying it was at low pressure (see attached image).

I wrote to report the problem to Instant Pot and my contact told me to check what the display on the pot says. If shows three bars after the P, then it is running at high pressure. In fact, during the “high pressure” steps in the Bone Broth script the LCD display showed the P with three bars.

This bug will likely be fixed in the next App. update since they already knew about it when I wrote to them.

Another thing you might notice from the attached image is that it says 110°C at the highest point. Instant Pot says there can be a 5°C difference between what the thermometer at the base of the pot is measuring and the temperature of the liquid near the top of the pot. So when the status application says 110°C it actually means that the temperature of the food/liquid is probably 115°C.

To those not familiar with Celsius – water boils at 100°C and it reaches 1 5psi of pressure at 121°C. So 115°C is roughly 10.5 psi.

BOTTOM LINE: the pot is doing what it should, the app has a bug that reports what is happening inaccurately. The LCD display on the front of the pot will have the most accurate information.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to mention this bug.

Ciao,

L

P.S. I was also told that when a firmware update is available it will only be sent to customers who ask for it – it’s going to be a new front panel for the cooker (and I’ve been assured that it’s easy to install). But don’t worry, I will post in the forums to let you know when that’s the case with information on what to do. A firmware update is not available, yet, as they are still collecting feedback from the first round of Instant Pot SMARTs. App updates will happen automatically, as you’ll get an alert on your iPad/Android that there is a new update.

momowack
    Participant

Hi Laura, Well I took my pot through most of a Bone Broth cycle once again and this time recorded the temperatures, etc. I only used water in the pot, and through two of the 30min/high pressure cycles the temperatures ranged from 242 to 204 on the first 30 min cycle and 224 to 221 on the second. App stating low pressure on all steps.
    Then I decided to use the manual control on the pot and monitor the temps at the manual high pressure setting. Using the app/status monitor on my phone with the cooker at high pressure for 30 minutes, (with the same hot water in the pot…) the temperatures ranged from 231 and 213 being the lowest temp that observed. The status monitor on my phone said that the pot was at high pressure in the manual setting within the above mentioned temperature ranges, which were similar to the temperatures displayed in the bone broth script.
    The pressure bar on the pot display was at three bars for both the script and the manual setting, so this tells me that the pot really was at high pressure during the script. Also, as I had mentioned above, I experienced the same issue when I cooked Perfect Basmati rice with the script. (status monitor on app said pot was at low pressure…)

Am I to understand that the update won’t show up on my iphone smart cooker app to notify me of a new update? I will be watching for this news on your site then. But I wonder,..what about folks who’ve purchased this cooker that aren’t aware there’s a new update and don’t follow your forum? Will they be notified via email of an update? There are obviously some bugs and all Smart Pots need to be updated and I hope Instant Pot will consider notifying all of their customers individually. I would wish to be notified in the future of any possible available updates, just as any other app will update to fix bugs.

I would also like to say that I hope in their update they will include the capability to download the recipes that go with the script,…and also a way to enter our own recipes into the app that go with the scripts we can create. I really thought this was possible when I bought the pot, and was very disappointed to learn that the app doesn’t offer this feature. Quite frankly I would have bought another Duo had I known this. I was like, “Really?” It only makes sense to have recipes easily accessible along with the script, rather than having to go searching for the recipe to follow. After all, the recipe scripts that come with the app include the recipes,..so I just assumed that the downloadable scripts and my own scripts would include the written recipe within the app- as well as instructions and any notes I might want to add. As it stands I have to go online, either print off the recipe or have both my computer and phone in the kitchen. Makes no sense to me. My two cents.

momowack
    Participant

Sorry I misread, I understand that the app will be updated but firmware update is upon request. I’m technically daft. :)

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Momowack, as an Instant Pot customer – you will likely get notification of new updates before I do. I just wanted to explain the process and assure you that I will also remind you of such updates here. : )

There is an actual problem with the IP SMART App Basmati rice script. In the app it says to soak the rice 15 minutes before pressure cooking (wrong). My down-loadable script from the recipe here (https://www.hippressurecooking.com/easy-pressure-cooker-steamed-rice/) has the rice cook for three minutes with a 10 minute pause for 10-minute natural release (right). The built-in rice program of the SMART when you hit the “rice” button on the front actually cooks at low pressure for 12 minutes (I’ve never gotten this program to work properly but I haven’t tried with the new “low pressure” setting – as the DUO and LUX had this default program running at “high pressure” for 12 minutes. Anyway,since I found the “perfect” rice method I didn’t want to ruin anymore of it testing their default buttons).

Instant Pot has plans for “premium” apps (you pay for them) that include photos, instructions and scripts. Myself and other chefs have been approached to write them and we will also get a substantial cut of the profits (unlike, say, writing a book where you do all the work and get a very, very small percentage of the cover price). I don’t know what the price will be but we’ve been talking about single-dollar ranges, not tens or twenties.

What I’ve been thinking about doing, in the meantime, is creating a sub-forum where people can share their written recipes and I can add a link to their script for others to see. Would that be of interest? We can start that way and then I can craft an official tool for submitting/posting if the smartcooker recipe sharing really takes off.

Ciao,

L

momowack
    Participant

Laura, creating a sub-forum sounds interesting! I’m all for it :)

I contacted Instant Pot about my disappointment in finding that I cannot download complete recipes that go with the scripts, or enter my own recipes to go along with scripts I create. They said, “At this time there is no way to download recipes that go with the scripts to the app or enter your own recipes in the app.” I’m crossing my fingers that they are working on this because for me it will be a huge improvement and certainly much more convenient.
    -When you think about it, a script is a list of instructions, and a recipe is a list of instructions. One would assume that two lists of instructions that operate in tandem with each other would be accessible in the same vicinity. I would gladly be willing to pay for this function capability!!!

I’m also curious to know how many other new Smart Pot owners assumed this feature was included and are disappointed that this feature is lacking. Maybe if enough of us whine and complain, there will be an update that allows us to add our own recipes as well as download recipes along with the scripts. :)

Thanks for all your hard work Laura! I send everyone I know who has a pressure cooker to your site :)

Wildhair
    Participant

Thanks for all the info, Laura. I wish we had a facebook group where it would be easier to get updates and easier communication!

I’m honestly concerned about the problems with the smart pot, maybe it was rolled out too fast and should have been tested more extensively. There are less than 20 scripts on the App and now we may have to request firmware updates? I would think that would be automatic based on the fact we should have all registered our Smart Pots and given our email addresses?

Thanks for all you do Laura.

momowack
    Participant

Wildhair, I agree with you. Rolled out too soon. Was there even a testing phase?

KathyD
    Participant

I am concerned as I purchased a new Instant Pot Smart (Still waiting for its arrival, very slow shipping!). I tried to download some of the recipe scripts to be ahead of the things and was getting an error message. After a quick reboot and reinstall of the app I am able to download a script. I was surprised that it was just that, a script. I would even be willing to put the ingredients in on my own but there is no way to do that. Why do the ones in the app have the ingredients but the ones I download do not. How do I know what to put in the pressure cooker if the recipe and amounts are not in the download. Will there be no way to add a recipe to the app? I have a stove top pressure cooker that I love and wanted to add the Instant Pot to my tools for the delay start feature. Working out of the home and being gone 12 hours a day does cause overdone food even in the crockpot. I sure hope I don’t regret this purchase. I am guessing this will all work out in the end, just hoping it’s sooner rather than later.

momowack
    Participant

Kathy, I share your disappointment. Hopefully Instant Pot is listening and can update this app soon to include recipe uploading as well as a way to write in the app. Quite frankly I was shocked with this over-site in this price point. I have contacted them several times, and so far no one has given me hope that these features will be added, just that they don’t exist. I learned this before my pot came as well as I was also trying to download scripts. I think Instant Pot needs to make it apparent on their description of the Smart Pot that recipes cannot be downloaded nor is it possible to write in the app, and whether these features will be added in a future update.
    On a positive note, I am learning that this pot holds the capability of getting very creative, and I’m still glad that I purchased the pot. (I was not when I learned I can’t enter recipes or download recipes…) Now if I could just write some of the wonderful recipes I’ve created along with the scripts I create in the app, this pot would be amazing. (and the ability to download recipes…)

KathyD
    Participant

Momowack,
    Thank you so much for the vote of confidence. I am anxious to get my new Instant Pot. I think it is coming via slow boat! The other amazing thing that I would like to be able to do is control it remotely which would mean that it would need Blue Tooth connectivity to my network so that when I am at work I can change the delay function. I’d like to turn it on ahead of time if I will be home earlier or delay it if I am later than I planned.
    I’ll be looking forward to learning all there is to learn once my new pot arrives.
    Thanks for the help!
    KathyD

PS: I make yogurt all the time. Looking forward to using the Instant Pot to make yogurt. Hoping it becomes easier for me. :)

momowack
    Participant

Kathy, unfortunately the blue tooth feature will only work inside your house, so you will not be able to control the pot from work :( But…that does not mean you can’t get your pot loaded up with whatever you want to cook and put it in the refrigerator so that when you come home you can just pop it in the Instant pot. Most dishes don’t take very long at all.
    Also- regarding your comment on the slow cooker food being mushy by the time you get home…I haven’t tried the slow cooker feature on this Smart Pot as yet but I do have another Instant Pot Duo, and I’ve noticed that the low setting on the Duo appears to be a lower temperature than low temps on the newer slow cookers on the market these days, which tend to boil your food. The newer slow cookers today are required to heat up to a higher temperature than the pots of yesteryear due to food safety issues of sorts.

I have made yoghurt in my Duo and after I strained it, it was awesome. I made it in jars with water and it was a bit runny for me, so next time I’m going to put the milk directly in the pot so that the steam will come from the milk and not water to see if I can get it a bit firmer.

I have had the Duo for about a year now and absolutely love it. As you can see, I bought another pot! haha -Yes I have used both of them at one time! Last weekend I made two chickens for a crowd and it worked out great. I also made black-eyed peas, and rice for that dinner all with two pots. (I have extra pots, with lids to keep food warm) There was barely any mess to clean up in the kitchen from cooking and the pots are so easy to clean.
    I’m hoping that with the upcoming updates they will perfect everything because the possibilities with this Smart Pot are really exciting. (I’ve had mine for around 3 weeks now) I do think it was introduced a bit too soon and should have been tested more thoroughly before bringing it to the market, and I absolutely think downloading recipes that go with the scripts as well as ability to write in the scripts are necessary features that should have been included with the newly released pots! :) When that happens, I will definitely be recommending this pot to my family and friends!

KathyD
    Participant

Momowack,
    Yes, I understand that the blue tooth has to be in rather close range but I was hoping that maybe the next version you could control from outside the house….send it a command through the internet like you can do for lights in your home. It’s a pipe dream. I’m just excited that this has a delay feature. I am also excited to know that it does not run as hot as the new crockpots. I may use this Instant Pot more than any other tool in my home.

Anxious to try yogurt. Right now I have a yogurt maker and I have to manually bring the milk up to temp 185 degrees F and then cool it to 110 degrees F. I then add the culture or plain yogurt and put in my pot and leave it undisturbed over night. In the morning I have thick plain yogurt. I do strain it a bit to make it more of a greek yogurt. I love homemade yogurt so much better than the store bought stuff.

Thanx for your helpful information. I look forward to chatting with you more once I have my instant pot in front of me. Sounds like you know how this works rather well. I’ll be needing some help and hand holding!

Have a great day and I’ll let you know when my pot arrives. Fed Ex says it will be at the house tomorrow but when I track it there has been no update since 12/29 and it was in Utah then. Must be stuck in the snow!

Happy cooking!
    KathyD

momowack
    Participant

Kathy, hope your pot finds it’s way to you quickly! Mine took about a week and a half or so to get here after it was shipped. Looking forward to chatting with you. I’m no expert by any means but having fun trying:) I use my Instant Pot every day- sometimes just to re-heat leftovers, which can easily be stored in the pot in the fridge. Soups and stews are often better the next day so you could always throw stuff in this pot the night before and cook, stick the pot in your fridge and heat up in the Instant Pot when you get home from work. There are so many recipes that are very quick to throw together. You’re probably going to love it too!

KathyD
    Participant

So now you have peaked my curiosity…how do you reheat in this pot? Do you use the slow cooker settings? Where do you get most of your recipes? I have the Hip Pressure Cooking book and have used a few of those recipes. I’ve also done this recipe https://www.hippressurecooking.com/easy-stuffing-stuffed-turkey-breast-roast/ and it was very good. I bought a turkey breast and took it off the bone. Made two rolls and froze them. Next time I will brown it before freezing so then I can put it in the pot frozen in the morning and add the broth…dinner will be ready when I get home. I love this site!

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know that I posted the following note at the bottom of the IP SMART coupon page…

NOTE: The Instant Pot SMART is a first-of-its-kind pressure cooker. Although it was thoroughly tested before being released there may still be some “bugs” that will only be discovered by real-world use. The purchase price of this pressure cooker includes free software (app) and firmware (pressure cooker control panel) updates. Be sure to register your pressure cooker to receive information about the latest updates and join us in the forums to tell us about your experience once you get your Instant Pot SMART!

I’m looking forward to reading more about how you guys use the Instant Pot!!

Ciao,

L

momowack
    Participant

Kathy, I reheat on slow cook-low usually. Rarely use my microwave anymore!

As for recipes I have a few sites that I like (love Hip) but I’m not sure if I can post the links here? (please let me know Laura…) I have several books one of which is Laura’s that I love, a book called “The Pressure Cooker Cookbook Revised by Toula Patsalis” is very good I think, and several Lorna Sass books that I’ve had for years.
    I also make up my own recipes and have had pretty good luck with that as well :) There are recipes all over the web for electric pressure cookers, but you can adjust any recipe for the Instant Pot if it fits. Often times I do not add extra time and it still turns out great. It has been a trial and error deal with me to get certain veggies down (like broccoli..) to the right times. That’s been the biggest challenge but I’m getting there :)

momowack
    Participant

Laura, I just made my second batch of bone broth tonight that I made from my first batch of bones (second run-through) which were pigs feet bones left over from my Italian husband’s New Years family traditional Bean Soup presentation. I added more bones- all chicken-(there was a whole raw chicken thigh in there too) that I have saved since I made my first batch. Threw them in the pot along with the pigs feet bones, and added 10 cups of water this time instead of the 6 in your posted recipe, as well as a big onion cut in quarters with the peel left on, a big chunk of ginger sliced. I had no dried mushrooms to add. The fill line was nearly reached. I figured why not make more since I had so many bones and it was going to take a long time.
    I added one more 30 minute “high pressure” cycle to your script for good measure and left all in the pot chamber for about an hour and a half after the script was complete. Then I took the pot out and let it sit for about an hour to cool off, and it was still really hot when I strained it.
    The bone broth is fabulous!! Dark brown and very tasty! I’m thinking this pot is worth the price just for bone broth alone! I know I can do it in my Duo but the capability of setting with the script and going about my business with no monitoring is fabulous. This bone broth is truly fantastic. I love that it’s so healthy as well. I’ve been going through boxes of Swanson’s broth and those days are ending.
    To be able to use the bones twice is simply amazing to me. The bones finally broke in half on the second round so time to toss. My dogs however loved the couple that they received, but I hesitate to save them because I’ve heard dogs can’t have pork- even though they’re just bones. There was still some marrow in the middle when I broke them. Otherwise bones from bone broth would make excellent treats for dogs and offer a lot of nutrition I would think :)

KathyD
    Participant

Yeah! My pot should be here tomorrow. I have some chicken bones in the freezer so I’ll be able to make stock. I have used the recipe in the Hip Pressure Cookbook for stock. It makes a great flavorful clear broth. So what is the difference between this stock recipe and the bone broth your speaking about. Is one better than the other? Are they uses for different reasons?

I can’t wait for my new Instant
    Pot to get here!
    KathyD

momowack
    Participant

Oh there’s a difference! I’ve never made bone broth before a week ago when I saw Laura’s video. I’ve just come across this very interesting info: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2011/09/bone-broth-take-frugal-to-a-new-level.html and am actually reading it now :) They use the crock pot and it takes forever to get their bone broth.

Bone broth is full of nutrition/calcium/minerals from the bones for one that’s easy for our bodies to absorb. The bone broth I made- when chilled- wouldn’t come out of the bowl when I turned it upside-down! Amazing. Possibly the knuckles in the Pig’s feet. I had hundreds of bones when I strained it!
    I think stock comes more from meat/veggies and bone broth is broth from the bones that have broken down and released minerals. It takes a while to achieve that hence the lengthy script/24 hours in a crock pot. All I can tell you is that I made the best soup ever out of the bone broth and I have been cooking for 40 some years. Congrats on your pot coming tomorrow! Keep coming back and let us know how it’s going for you :)

KathyD
    Participant

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Laura Pazzaglia
    Keymaster

Yes, you can post links. You’re already here, so I’m not concerned about linkins to elsewhere.

Sometimes the automatic moderator kicks-in and you won’t see your post with a link or picture right away. That just means to wait until I wake up in Italy to moderate the post. But generally I approve it unless it’s a link to a money-making scheme, a hotel in Bali, or weight-loss supplements. ; )

I would recommend starting a new topic about where you go to get more recipe ideas and how you come up with your own so others can benefit from your conversation.

Kathy, so glad you enjoyed to stock! I talk about the difference between stock and bone broth in the video here:

Instructions & VIDEO: How to make a pressure cooker bone broth

Basically, the goal of stock is to be clear and taste great while the goal of bone broth is to be nutritious – though the two are not mutually exclusive in the bone broth!!

Momowack, I don’t know what cats and dogs should or shouldn’t eat – but I feed older left-overs and old stock bones to a colony of stray cats. Personally, I let them choose what not to eat. They go crazy for chicken bones (which are supposed to be a nonono), pasta e fagioli (they eat both the pasta and the beans) and, of course, pasta with ragu – the more parmesan the better. I also fed them some of my early Christmas Pudding failures – those went faster than I had imagined. They eat well and are always happy licking their whiskers afterwards! I have a bag of kibbles for when there aren’t any leftovers or failed experiments but the cats really don’t enjoy them. The dry food sits for days and the cats only eat it when they’re really desperately hungry. BTW, stray cats are a protected species in Rome!!! I only feed them in the winter because the tourists charmed by their furry ingenuity take care of the rest during the summer.

Ciao,

L

KathyD
    Participant

I also have a Vitamix and belong to a Facebook group and I remember them talking about bone broth. So I went searching. They cook the bones in their crock pot for 48 hours or more. This causes the bones to become very brittle and crumbly. They then put the mixture in their Vitamix and whirl it up and add it to their dog food. Sounds interesting. I think I would use the first go round of the bone broth for soup and the second go round for the dog. I may have to take a trip to the local grocery store to see if they have any bones available. I only have a few thigh bones and a turkey breast carcass and want to try bone broth now. I’m heading to the video to see how you do this.

If there is a problem with the recipe script I should be able to program this into the Instant Pot manually to accomplish the same thing, right? I am still waiting for mine but it should be delivered later today. Is there a way to “Save” a program on the Instant Pot or does that have to be done in the App.

Anxious to get my pot and start reading all about how to use and program it. I think it will be used often in my kitchen!

momowack
    Participant

Oh Boy! Today’s your big day KathyD!

I have a Vitamix too, and the dog food thing is an excellent idea and way to give them some good nutrition. I’m going to try that with a batch of bones that aren’t pork.

The script for the bone broth is running perfectly fine, the only issue is that the “status monitor” on the script shows that the pot is at lOW pressure when the pot is actually running at high pressure. Three bars showing on the pot display window will confirm high pressure even though the app status on your device will say the pot is at low pressure. You don’t have to do anything to the script as they will fix that in an update.
    Actually you might be onto something though by writing a new script for it,.. maybe the status monitor would display the correctly intended high pressure.

Since Laura says it’s ok to post links and share other sites- Two that I go to quite often are dadcooksdinner.com, and pressurecookingtoday.com. On Barbara’s Pressure Cooking Today site her recipes are all for electric cookers.

Have fun! :)

Laura, smart cats!! Good idea for starting a new topic.

KathyD
    Participant

Thanx for posting those two sites. The PressureCookingToday.com is nice. Her facebook page has links to several of Laura’s troubleshooting/information pages. Right now I have a pork loin thawing for dinner and I know I will do it in the PC. Just pulled out my “Hip” book and will peruse the site for a recipe/time.

momowack
    Participant

Laura, making beans tonight in Smart pot and set my pot manually for 24 minutes on high pressure. Status monitor on app shows low pressure at 213 degrees F, 62% heating level. There are 3 bars on the pot display. (dried pintos)

KathyD
    Participant

It’s here! Too late to putt to use for dinner. It may be the weekend before I can play. I worked from home today and was hoping it would show up early enough to use. Off to read the book!

momowack
    Participant

Yippy! :)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.